EASYTRADER

Expert Expediter
Home time with FECC works like this.

1. Go out of service
2. Drive Home

When your are out of money or want to go back to work then,

3. Go Back in service

If you live out west then you might get authorized dead head back to
the east, but only after you sit a day or two.

I understand with "E" units they can find you freight or you can find your own, but most of us with FECC are straight truck drivers.

The best bet for home time in this business is to live near busy freight
lanes,

babs3361

Expert Expediter
My understanding of home time is when your have been out for 2 weeks you quailfy for home time. So having just left homemaybe you didn't quailfy and were not on the home time list.

FAMILYEXPDT

Seasoned Expediter
Night,

I do not usually do this but....after looking at our tax info

97 days one of us running solo
truck ran a total of 213 days

revenue on truck = 213,000

flat mileage + 100% fsc

-Charlotte

tonymcc

Expert Expediter
You're saying a solo driver averaged $1000 a day for 213 days? This is a tractor? How many miles did he drive? Those are certainly good numbers for a solo. We were in Reno talking to a tractor team who didn't think they were busy enough and were complaining about their income ... driving for an owner. You sound like a good owner.

We look at income per day, but one stat we keep that it seems few do, is our over all truck miles, personal, non-paid empty move, etc. We look at the miles put on the truck for any reason. Last month it was $1.47 per mile for a D unit ... 22 foot box, straight truck. Our fuel was 29 cents a mile last month. Now, from what I hear from other drivers who do provide this information, our pay per truck mile is pretty good ..., but not this month with 2200 miles of non-pay <g>. There's more than one way to crunch the numbers, and unfortunately, some recruiters and also drivers stack the deck when they discuss these things. Bottom line is always, what you have left after you pay everything and everybody ... and considering the change in equity and value of the business. Charlotte, your numbers are impressive, though.

Tony

fastrod

Expert Expediter
I would think a independent contractor could take home time whenever they want to. Being out two weeks before you qualify would be more of an employee thing.

FAMILYEXPDT

Seasoned Expediter
Tony,

The truck was run solo approximately 3 months + 1 week, off the road because of putting other trucks on and sitting waiting for loads approximately 5 months (147 days)other 4 months was run team. Also keep in mind that we ran a couple backhauls from west coast to east coast that paid the truck 3$ a mile and then a 1$ a mile empty to orlando to run a circle trip at 2.8 a mile. I think most tractor drivers that come to PII come from over the road...if your wheels are not turning you do not make money....and in Expedite we sit more. I would have to run 5k miles in reg otr to make as much as I make running 3k miles expedite. My truck has 340,000 miles on it brought it to panther 2 years ago new. I still have a nice truck and made good money. In a tractor you HAVE to be willing to take the time to find those exceptional backhauls when needed.

-Charlotte

tonymcc

Expert Expediter
Charlotte,

That makes more sense. I was wondering how that was solo all that time with those numbers.

Tony

pelicn

Veteran Expediter
>Secondly, but not mentioned, is the "D" unit is a 16'
>reefer, that can only carry 5,000lbs. Correct me Pel if I am
>wrong on that.

Dave, yes you're correct but it's listed as a "B" now and yes it did severely limit what we could haul with Panther.

Also, in answer to Babs.. "how long we'd been out, and the hometime requests" We were never out less than 3-4 weeks at a time.

tonymcc

Expert Expediter
There can be exceptions. It was a condition of my accepting the load. I was on Home Time. Do you think I didn't call my Team Leader and ask to make sure? I was on Home Time.

Thanks,

Tony

tonymcc

Expert Expediter
Our loaded miles (including DH on a PRO) last month was very close to the $1.47 ... because we don't drive many non-paid miles. Well, I'll share some more numbers. For 2006, our loaded miles including the DH on the PRO was coincidently also $1.47 and all truck miles was $1.37. December was the worst since we did drive home from Tulsa on our own dime before Holiday Home Time kicked in: $1.43 for loaded miles including the DH ... and $1.16 for all truck miles that month. We always include the loaded pay with the paid DH because we consider the miles driven to the shipper to be a part of the expense for that load ... and often some DH is paid. We also always include the FSC and any bonus or layover. We look at the total paid for the PRO and the total miles required for the PRO. Then, we also look at all truck miles driven during a month and keep that statistic also. Our best month was last Sept. at $1.77 for loaded miles and $1.69 for all truck miles.

Keep in mind, this is a D unit, a 22 foot box, usually under 10,000 lbs, at the current rate of $1.20 per mile. We are Gov't and run those at the current rate of $1.50.

This one particular PRO to UT was $1.90. That's the main reason we took it. We didn't expect to DH all the way home, but worst case, round trip was still close to $1 a mile.

Tony

catshavestaff

Seasoned Expediter
Quote:

What is the problem? She told you to head home. I would rather have that than some sugar coated bs about "maybe we will find you a load"
People have to be alittle more self reliant and look at these areas PRIOR to going to them. Forget about hometime and all that other bs. Either figure out how to find your own freight or don't go to these areas if you need to be home at a certain time.

Davekc
owner
22 years
PantherII
EO moderator

BS? Well, we didn't know it was BS until this experience. "Suger-coated bs"? We took them at their word, as printed in the manual. Now, we won't. Self-reliant? Learning that, too.

There's an old Proverb..that you can get more flies with honey than vinegar...It wouldn't have killed her to be nice about it, instead of snarky...it wouldn't kill you either.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Maybe I shouldn't have been as harsh, but your situation is a reoccurring theme on EO from someone new that didn't research properly. The good news is you are finding your way. Regardless of the carrier, dispatchers are sales people. With that in mind, "Trust but verify"

Davekc
owner
22 years
PantherII
EO moderator

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
Yes you were harsh, Dave. You certainly need to be more touchy-feely when you type. Handing out doses of reality like that will certainly get you the wrath. Eventually, they will realize that in the world of business, that no one is going to hold their hand, be bubbly and flowery when interacting, and guarentee success. It is, what it is, an imperfect world out there.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Dave... how dare you tell it the way it is! I'm offended! It's time to become PC and show everyone your touchy-feely side. I recommend this for your avatar.

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
Wow Hawk!! What size sleeper has that thing got?? How much can it haul? Does it have a shower? Sink? TV? Microwave? Rell us about it??

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
It doesn't have any of those, Col... but it's got WUV!!! You can pick it up in the Ashbury-Hait district in San Francisco. All you need are some hash brownies and a flux capacitor. :7

-Vampire Super Slooth Trucker!!!