Hey Van guys (and Gals)! What are you paying for i

Twmaster

Expert Expediter
I am looking to upgrade my insurance and have been shopping for quotes. I don't like what I am seeing. (3K to 4K/yr $1M coverage)

SO what are you folks paying? Are the rates I am being quoted crazy? If you don't want to post that kinda info here but would be kind enough to share please email me.

Thanks gang!

--
Mike N

tomcar

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
RE: Hey Van guys (and Gals)! What are you paying f

I think that is the going rate. I don't do much van work any more, but I just recently dropped my van insurance. I now do hotshot flatbed and the insurance is slightly higher for what I am now doing. Good luck and hope it all works out for you. Tom

Work like you need the money, we all do.

GroundHawk

Expert Expediter

How are you making out with that hotshot set up,making any money? Hawk

mcbride

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member

>now do hotshot flatbed and the insurance is slightly higher
>for what I am now doing.

Hey Tom,

We just saw a flat bed hotshot truck in Elpaso, Tx. How does this work? You must find your own loads etc.? Just wondering how you did it and why you did it and if there is a big demand for it? Nothing like a few questions, eh?

mcbride-:7

Twmaster

Expert Expediter

I posted this thread about *insurance* not hotshots. Please keep replies on topic.

--
Mike N

mcbride

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member

>I posted this thread about *insurance* not hotshots. Please
>keep replies on topic.
>
>--
>Mike N

Gee, I am so sorry.

mcbride-

teacel

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member

Is your cargo insurance included in that price? I pay $1500.00 a year for mine that is $1mil, liability and $100K cargo.

All insurance is based on what you told your agent when applying for the insurance. Where is it you will be delivering, and what type of cargo you will deliver, plays a role in the insurance company setting the price. Example: If you haul wood or deliver manufactured goods like plastics you may pay $1K. If you deliver glass or clothing or high end products you may have to pay $3K. The liability is based on the number of stops made and the type of places the stops are made too. Your agent should have asked you these questions, and if he didn't then he is filling in the blanks based on the opinion he formed about your job.

Your age and driving history also plays a role. If you told him you will be making 5 to 10 deliveries a day (as a courier) going into places like homes, offices, and hospitals, It wouldn't surprised me if someone had to pay 5 or 6K a year, if carrying blood from place to place. Are you insure... through the company you are leased to or do you have your own insure... through a private broker?

I know you want as much help as you can get and may even feel pressure, but you also have to remember this is a public forum and a post can and will side track a member from the original topic. If you or the poster asking or looking for the right answer remains patient the answers will come. Some posters may become engrossed in what another said or may want to say high to someone they haven't heard from in a while. So Mike what I'm saying is being patient may be the better thing to do. If a poster goes off onto another subject maybe give some others time to post and your questions will get answered. If the thread gets switched and the members are sidetracked, then you may want to reply with a reminder of the original question. Just my opinion!!!

Do you live in PA? or have a business address in PA?

hacpro

Expert Expediter

We have two cargo vans and run mostly out of Memphis, Tn area.
Hauling mostly what all expediters do. We have all our insurance
with OOIDA. Recently signed with a new company and they required
100,000 in cargo ins. We are paying a little over 1300.00 a year.
Hope this helps.

newthead

Expert Expediter

Just a response to what you said Teacel: I as a local courier am paying 2600/year for ins. It does get spendy. I know of other couriers who have been with their ins carriers for a longer time and pay as little as 2400/year for TWO p/u trucks.

Twmaster

Expert Expediter

>Is your cargo insurance included in that price? I pay
>$1500.00 a year for mine that is $1mil, liability and $100K
>cargo.

Yikes that is less than I am paying for the barest of minimums on my insurance presently!

>All insurance is based on what you told your agent when
>applying for the insurance. Where is it you will be
>delivering, and what type of cargo you will deliver, plays a
>role in the insurance company setting the price. Example: If
>you haul wood or deliver manufactured goods like plastics
>you may pay $1K. If you deliver glass or clothing or high
>end products you may have to pay $3K. The liability is based
>on the number of stops made and the type of places the stops
>are made too. Your agent should have asked you these
>questions, and if he didn't then he is filling in the blanks
>based on the opinion he formed about your job.

She did not ask much of that.

>Your age and driving history also plays a role. If you told
>him you will be making 5 to 10 deliveries a day (as a
>courier) going into places like homes, offices, and
>hospitals, It wouldn't surprised me if someone had to pay 5
>or 6K a year, if carrying blood from place to place. Are you
>insure... through the company you are leased to or do you
>have your own insure... through a private broker?

I have a clean record and am 40 years old. I presently have my own insurance as stated above. I mostly do business pick-up/drop-off.

Dynamex offers us insurance. It is not cheap at $79 per week. It is good coverage with $1M and full coverage on the truck ($59/week without collision). The carrier is AIG whom is supposed to be a good company. One attractive thing about this insurance it they take it right out of your pay so you don't have to either finance the premium or come up with a huge downpayment. But it is expensive.

>I know you want as much help as you can get and may even
>feel pressure, but you also have to remember this is a
>public forum and a post can and will side track a member
>from the original topic. If you or the poster asking or
>looking for the right answer remains patient the answers
>will come. Some posters may become engrossed in what another
>said or may want to say high to someone they haven't heard
>from in a while. So Mike what I'm saying is being patient
>may be the better thing to do. If a poster goes off onto
>another subject maybe give some others time to post and your
>questions will get answered. If the thread gets switched and
>the members are sidetracked, then you may want to reply with
>a reminder of the original question. Just my opinion!!!

Good points. I just wanted to head off a waaaay off topic slant. One thing I have found by being on here is that for every poster there are 3 guys lurking in search of the same info. My apologies for being to the point but I did even say 'please'. :)

>Do you live in PA? or have a business address in PA?

Nope. I am in Maryland. Why do you ask?

--
Mike N

teacel

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member

Could turn you on to my agent, but he doesn't write where you live.

Twmaster

Expert Expediter

Thanks anyway Tony. I have sent an email to OOIDA to see if they have any programs to cover me. Will report back with their answer.

--
Mike N