Help

freightjosh

Rookie Expediter
I was told i was approved by tri state in Toledo/millsburg oh well i get here and i am not. I spent every last dime to get here and now i am stuck here. Anyone heading up to MI i can cetch a ride with? Thanks so much

Sent from my C5155 using EO Forums mobile app

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I was told i was approved by tri state in Toledo/millsburg oh well i get here and i am not. I spent every last dime to get here and now i am stuck here. Anyone heading up to MI i can cetch a ride with? Thanks so much

Sorry to hear that, wish I could help out. Good luck.

runrunner

Veteran Expediter

What are you missing in order to qualify?

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I don't want to sound like a smart butt, or to kick a man when he is down, so PLEASE take this as it is intended, to help.

You may wish to rethink expediting as a career. Taking just the two things you brought up, the criminal thing and the fact that it took your last nickel to get to Toledo, I believe that it would be VERY difficult, at best, to make it in this business. Given the fact you are looking at the van section makes it even less likely you would succeed.

That is not saying you won't, just saying that the odds are really stacked against you.

Good luck. I wish I could help.

freightjosh

Rookie Expediter
I understand what ur saying. I am just trying to support my wife and 4 kids i will do anything to support them

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I understand what ur saying. I am just trying to support my wife and 4 kids i will do anything to support them

OH, I get it, believe me, I have been there. I am just asking you to give it some more thought. It is a VERY tough row to hoe with things stacked the way they are for you. I will I had an better idea, but I don't.

runrunner

Veteran Expediter
Its a criminal history thing. Happened 13 years ago

I think some felonies disqualify you for life,others must be at least 10 years old.Some carriers may chose to disqualify you for any felony at all,it is there choice.Your best bet would have been to tell them up front.

runrunner

Veteran Expediter

It may turn out to be a blessing in the end,although TriState is a good Company,there are so many Vans out here it is hard to support a family driving a Van for someone else. I'm sorry for you it did not work out,and hope you get home ok.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
If Tristate said you were qualified and then said you weren't upon arrival, they should step up and buy you a bus ticket home. Not exactly a high dollar item.
I would go with the others thoughts. Stay away from the business if you are underfunded.
I wouldn't even consider it if you have a wife and four kids at home. You need to be there with them. May have to take some jobs you don't like but in the long run it would be a wise decision.
Good luck in what ever you find.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
It sounds like your best option for the transportation industry might be to become a truck driver. Just so you know this is coming from a truck driver/former cargo van driver with a felony conviction about 13 years ago. The truck driving segment is changing and the OTR driver is becoming a thing of the past which is great for drivers with kids. If you go with a big company you can get some nice benefits, home every weekend, and a pretty steady paycheck, nothing you would see as a cargo van driver. The type of conviction will determine what your options are in this industry. Do you care to share what the conviction was for?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using EO Forums mobile app

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter

Read here carefully.
Go to the EO classifieds.
Ask and take the advice given by these professionals to heart. All these guys have "been there, done that".
Trust me, I'm a rookie to driving too. Some of these guys come off as crass but no one wishes you harm. We have all been in dire straights before and have all handled it differently based on our personal and familial needs.
You need to roll soon. Everyone gets that. But keep digging and, for goodness sake, do NOT wait until orientation day to make sure your "past" is 0% a problem with a carrier.
Also look at local courier companies. I think they would net you less money but may also provide fewer roadblocks.
Best wishes, from all of us, I'm sure!!

freightjosh

Rookie Expediter
Hey everyone thanks for all the advice. I did get home a driver I worked for alot when i did dispatched sent me the money via comcheck. God bless her. Thanks for everything guys

runrunner

Veteran Expediter
It sounds like your best option for the transportation industry might be to become a truck driver. Just so you know this is coming from a truck driver/former cargo van driver with a felony conviction about 13 years ago. The truck driving segment is changing and the OTR driver is becoming a thing of the past which is great for drivers with kids. If you go with a big company you can get some nice benefits, home every weekend, and a pretty steady paycheck, nothing you would see as a cargo van driver. The type of conviction will determine what your options are in this industry. Do you care to share what the conviction was for?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using EO Forums mobile app

His crime? He was a dispatcher! LOL

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
His lips are moving.

lips.gif