Help please! Need info and contacts in Ontario Canada

roadeyes

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Hi All!

First off let me say what a great forum this is.
I have been lurking here on and off for about 6 months now and the information I have gleaned here from you great people has been invaluable.

I guess after 15 years in the taxi business, I'm having somewhat of a midlife crisis. I'm just getting sick and tired of dealing with all the brain deads and loogans, and I know what yer gonna say so don't even go there <G>!
By all the complaining I've read on here about incompetant dispatchers and sitting in dead freight areas, it sounds just like the taxi business...hehe.

Anyways, I've done a ton of research on the net (so much so I think I'm going to change my nick to "monitoreyes") and I've still got a few unanswered questions so I thought I would ask the experts!

Over what GVWR are trucks required to go through the scales in Ontario? Believe it or not I couldn't find this info anywhere,
not even on the MTO website. I'm assuming it's 10000 lbs as that
is the max before a cvor is needed. Is this same weight the max allowed before log books, HOS etc. apply?

Assuming I'm correct in the above, and because i don't want the hassle of dealing with the MTO, that pretty much limits me to a 1
ton cube van and about 3 types of work, either expediting,
courier/local distribution, or getting my own dedicated runs.

Because I will be running single, If I get into expediting I would like to lease on with a company that has more regional work (don't wanna be sittin around while the teams are gettin all the loads), and has alot of inter or intra province work. I have no problem crossing the border, just want to get the hang of the business for a few months first. Or would I starve because the majority of the business with expediting companies is going to/from the States?

Expediting appeals to me because of the fact that you get to many different places, so if I decide to go into courier/local distribution it would have to be the same way, i.e: pick up a load at the terminal and go to a different point(s) in Ontario each day or night. I would also be interested in running between a network of terminals with overnight freight, staying and sleeping during the day and taking a load to another terminal the next night to cut down on deadhead miles, but correct me if I'm wrong, according to my limited knowledge of logistics, this would probably all be hauled in either straight trucks or 48' and 53' vans.
Consistent route work would definately be to boring for me.
Since I live about an hour north of Toronto I would consider local or regional distribution companies as far north as the Muskokas.

So are there any good companies out there in Ontario that fit either of the above descriptions ? Or by my choices have I limited myself too much to make any real money? I have no wife or kids so staying on the road alot is no problem for me.

One final question. Are there any load brokers out there that arrange loads or dedicated runs for vehicles this small? From what i have seen they mostly cater to TL & LTL loads for 5 ton trucks and up.

I appreciate any advice or companies/names to contact.

Thanks in advance

neo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
try Fedex Custom Critical 800-323-9256. I think they have a freeze on recruiting right now but may have answers to some more of your questions. They run in Ontario too.