hello june.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Frustration is also a big part of this business. Over 100 degrees or -5 waiting days for a load is never easy or fun. It's all in our bag of tricks along with good days of good paying runs and a few not so good.

If someone has a 401K and looks at it every week they will go nuts trying to move the funds to a better place. End up selling it and have nothing. It's the long term that nets the profit. I can not sit here and tell anyone how to manage their money, that's up to them. Good months, I get as far ahead on bills and my "oh no" fund as I can. Last year was a 6 month split for me. Half the year with Depress-1 and the last half with Load-1. Due to unforeseen events, the second half with load one was only 4 1/2 months. Still I made close to 7,000.00 more then I did with 6 months at D-1.

Load-1 is not for everyone, I can say it is for me. Did the smiles for miles and just about put me out of business. At a $1.00 a mile over there folks are still thinking they are getting good rates. One young man told me he was happy with all the miles and paid deadhead. One thing he was not doing was factoring in his miles. He factored in the pay for those D/H miles but not the miles. I showed him how quickly his $1.00 per mile went down to .73 to .80 per mile. He had quiet a few 200 + D/h miles on 400 paid.

We can use our down time to express our frustration, which is never good, it puts your mind set in a dark place. Or we can take it, either move on, or use this time in a positive manner.

It's hard being away from home, bills due and you have no runs to show for it. I know, we all know this. But, I'm not going to let the Debbie downers bring me to their level, I walk away from them. I'm always glade to hear Load-1ers doing well, even if I've had a crappy week. I know my time is coming. I look at it as a market factor. "Starting to pick up".

We all cheer when the times are good don't we?

Well said Edster!!.....it is even worse if you let your mind go into a bad place....which does happen some times and it feels like sh!t.....:)

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Frustration is also a big part of this business. Over 100 degrees or -5 waiting days for a load is never easy or fun. It's all in our bag of tricks along with good days of good paying runs and a few not so good.

If someone has a 401K and looks at it every week they will go nuts trying to move the funds to a better place. End up selling it and have nothing. It's the long term that nets the profit. I can not sit here and tell anyone how to manage their money, that's up to them. Good months, I get as far ahead on bills and my "oh no" fund as I can. Last year was a 6 month split for me. Half the year with Depress-1 and the last half with Load-1. Due to unforeseen events, the second half with load one was only 4 1/2 months. Still I made close to 7,000.00 more then I did with 6 months at D-1.

Load-1 is not for everyone, I can say it is for me. Did the smiles for miles and just about put me out of business. At a $1.00 a mile over there folks are still thinking they are getting good rates. One young man told me he was happy with all the miles and paid deadhead. One thing he was not doing was factoring in his miles. He factored in the pay for those D/H miles but not the miles. I showed him how quickly his $1.00 per mile went down to .73 to .80 per mile. He had quiet a few 200 + D/h miles on 400 paid.

We can use our down time to express our frustration, which is never good, it puts your mind set in a dark place. Or we can take it, either move on, or use this time in a positive manner.

It's hard being away from home, bills due and you have no runs to show for it. I know, we all know this. But, I'm not going to let the Debbie downers bring me to their level, I walk away from them. I'm always glade to hear Load-1ers doing well, even if I've had a crappy week. I know my time is coming. I look at it as a market factor. "Starting to pick up".

We all cheer when the times are good don't we?

Did I say one word about looking at things every week? Anyone in this business knows you can't do that. A smart business person also pays attention to trends and failure to do so has ruined many a person's and drained many bank accounts. If it's OK to cheer good times it is equally ok to complain about the bad times. After all its all about the averages right. : )

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using EO Forums mobile app

ebsprintin

Veteran Expediter
complaining is one thing. i have a problem when people decide the system needs to be changed because of a bad week.

eb

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I don't think the system needs to be changed, I think the attitudes of a few Sprinter cargo van drivers needs to be changed because they think they don't drive a cargo van so they turn down the very small number of cargo van loads they're offered and cutting off their nose to spite their face.

I'm currently on an 888 mile load that pays $1.21. If my next load is 500 miles at $.90 I'm going to take it, happily. That's 1388 miles at $1.10 a mile. I'm making money and the customers are happy. It's there something I'm missing?

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
At this time I am able to announce Windsor has frieght on his van and is exiting laredo as I post this!

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Windsor ky maybe

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
Interesting plant shut down schedule this year. Chrysler plants rotating weeks off now thru Aug 11 week at one to three plants a week. The most is 5 the week of Jy 21st. Have to get the Ford and GM schedule.

guido4475

Not a Member
At this time I am able to announce Windsor has frieght on his van and is exiting laredo as I post this!

It didn't happen as fast as I prayed it would, but at least it did happen. So glad for him.

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Interesting plant shut down schedule this year. Chrysler plants rotating weeks off now thru Aug 11 week at one to three plants a week. The most is 5 the week of Jy 21st. Have to get the Ford and GM schedule.
Ford Oakville is for 3 weeks. Not sure exact dates.

W

Windsor

You know what?? I've kinda got used to the heat and the town, I think I'll stay another 10 days.

TheOGExpediterGuy

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I don't think the system needs to be changed, I think the attitudes of a few Sprinter cargo van drivers needs to be changed because they think they don't drive a cargo van so they turn down the very small number of cargo van loads they're offered and cutting off their nose to spite their face.

I'm currently on an 888 mile load that pays $1.21. If my next load is 500 miles at $.90 I'm going to take it, happily. That's 1388 miles at $1.10 a mile. I'm making money and the customers are happy. It's there something I'm missing?

Turtle weren't you in Kansas City earlier today?!