Hello Everyone

owensexp

Expert Expediter
Hello, my name is Matthew DeMaris and I am the co-owner of a small, new trucking company by the name of Owens Expediting. We have a 53' leased on to U.S. Xpress, a 22' Straight Truck (with a husband and wife team) leased to Con-Way Now and a E 250 Cargo Van driven by me with a sleeper conversion from Alumi-Bunk which we are going to try running under our own authority in a few days as soon as our paperwork gets processed. After doing alot of reasearch on this site I know now that it was probably a bad decesion to try and run the van on our own but I guess thats what I get for leaping first and looking later. I know the topic has been beaten in the ground on this forum but if any of you have any ideas on brokers, load boards, or shippers I can use for the van please let me know. It would be greatly appreciated.
Finally I just want to say that I am very impressed with this site and the people posting on it. Most of you seem to have a true desire to exchange honest information in hopes of making this buisness a little more profitable for us all. I've learned alot from it and look forward to contributing in the future.
Thank You

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Vans are quite abit different than TT ect. I would advise you to put it on with a Expedite Company. Most of their loads are through their own accounts or logistic companies. If you go it alone, you will have to find your own accounts to keep it running. Old fashion door banging. Teacel who is on here has a van business with his own accounts. I could be wrong, but I don't believe he has mentioned doing brokered freight ect. Even if you have your own authority, you can still lease it on to a carrier.

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
Owensexp

Welcome to EO!

I have to agree 100% with DaveKC. Running a cargo van on your own is very, very difficult. You have to wear the hat of salesman, dispatcher, operations, safety manager, customer service and most importantly - accounts receivable....and collections.

Plus you are the CEO.

I have only met 1 individual in 14 years who was successful running their own cargo van.

Only one - I would have to say your chances for success by leasing it with a carrier are much greater.

Best wishes

Lawrence,
Expediters Online.com

-----------------------------------------
Thanks For Visiting EO!

http://www.expeditersonline.com/hotnews/sterling_eo_forum.jpg

Please Help Us Get The Word
Out About Expediters Online.com!

-----------------------------------------

GroundHawk

Expert Expediter
Well I have been away from here for a while. I have been rebuilding my company. I run on my own and I use a cargo van. Yes it is hard but fun there are a lot of places or companies you can run for