Heated dipsticks

vipra

Expert Expediter
I've read about heated dipsticks in several articles, but when I search Yahoo and Google I can't find any for sale. It seems like a good idea- warm up the oil and then the cold engine will start easier. Do they exist? Do they work or are they a scam?

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The best way to warm an automotive engine is with a tank heater. A tank heater is spliced into the coolant line and will heat and circulate the coolant.

I worked at a company that use dipstick heaters and magnetic oil pan heaters on forklifts with some success.

usaf6186

Veteran Expediter
I had a four wheel diesel in MD. I found the dipstick heater didnot get enough heat to the head. What worked best for me was a heating element that was fitted into the upper water hose. I don't know if they are still on the market or if they work on trucks. it was cheaper than a tank heater.

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
inline heaters for autos are available at most auto parts stores(checker auto or advanced auto). you will have to ask for them as they are a slow mover and tend to be in the back. these are lower hose models.

i had a couple on my diesel benzes and have one on my tdi. it really helps in the morning in the driveway. 6 second glow as opposed to 15 sec when the temp is below 0 and the engine sounds happier also.

raycal

Seasoned Expediter
I've read about heated dipsticks in several articles, but when I search Yahoo and Google I can't find any for sale. It seems like a good idea- warm up the oil and then the cold engine will start easier. Do they exist? Do they work or are they a scam?

if your going to heat the oil used the mag on that heats the pan dont use the heated dipstick some times it thickens the oil 35 year mech thanks