Health Insurance

aquawarrior7

Expert Expediter
Who do yall go through for insurance. We need some help finding a good company, before everything goes down the tubes health wise.
Thanks for any info:)

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
What company do you drive for? Many companies have access to a health plan for their drivers, also, if you are an OOIDA member, I know of drivers who have health, hospitalization, and life insurance thru them.. Not cheap, but it's there.

Dreamer

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I have VA Health care for very small fees but also have a Castastrophe
Policy through OOIDA.It runs me $140. per month and has a $5,000 deductible then it pays 90% of the next $5,000 then 100% of anything after that.Better then nothing.

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
I seem to remeber that Roberts Express had awesome insurance packages available - although it cost $500+ a month, it seemed to cover EVERYTHING, medical, dental and optical.

Lawrence,
Expediters Online.com

-----------------------------------------
Thanks For Visiting EO!
[p]
http://www.expeditersonline.com/hotnews/sterling_eo_forum.jpg

Please Help Us Get The Word
Out About Expediters Online.com!

-----------------------------------------

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I have been told by FDX Ground guys that even though they are independent contractors they can piggyback on the health insurance plan that FDX Employees have? Also about a year ago Contractor relations from FDX said they were going to look into it,Anybody heard anything??

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
One oufit that I would stay away from is Mega life.You hear them advertised on XM all the time.I had them for a few years. The agent sold me on a $3,000 deduction. He did not tell me that it was a $3,000 deductible per occurrence. I assumed it was a calender year deductible. One day I read the fine print on page 99 and saw this,I called them and they confirmed that,so you could have a bad year and really get burned. The OOIDA plan is for a calender year deductible.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I would look for a MSA. (medical savings account) The costs initially may be higher, but your savings are used for your deductible. As you continue to build your savings account, increase you deductible. As that increases, your insurance premuims will drop. Anything in your MSA can be used for medical purposes, including glasses, prescriptions ect.
For self employed folks, this is one of the best government plans going behind the IRA. Before I forget, monies in the account grow tax free.

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
A few years back I tried to qualify for a MSA.No one would take me,it seems like if you are over 35 and taking any type of perscription medication they would not enroll me or my wife.The tax savings are great,just like an IRA,maybe it!s changed since then.Anyone know??

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Where do you apply for these MSA accounts? A few years ago I made a few inquirys,but couldnt find any providers.I kinda forgot about it until you brought it up.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
It probably depends on the state you are in. Most multi-line insurance agents will sell it, or will know who does. I believe it was last year, that they overhauled the MSA plan. I will have to check as the name of the plan has changed as well. It is not called MSA anymore, but something else.
Anyway, they will know what you are talking about. The investments components of it have stayed basically the same.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Update; the new plans are called HSA plans. (Health savings account)

apollo

Expert Expediter
I am 39 and my wife is 40. She is a smoker. We have health insurance through Blue Cross and Blue Shield (of Georgia) It runs me $70 monthly and hers is $119 per month. This is not a groupd plan. It is only for us. The coverage isn't for someone that runs to the doctor when they get a sniffle. It is geared towards "major" health issues. I was amazed at the low price considering the BCBS group plan we were on increased to over $400 per month for both of us.

Hope this helps :D

Wild Bill

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
I don't particulary want to advertise on here but I have a friend who sells very cheap medical. Email me and I will put you in touch.

Bill