Health insurance recommendation??

subzero89

Seasoned Expediter
Hey everybody,
As a new owner/operator, I am now in the market to purchase health insurance for my wife and myselt. Do any of you have any suggestions as to companies providing good coverage at reasonable prices? Thanks so much!!

Camper

Not a Member
Hey everybody,
As a new owner/operator, I am now in the market to purchase health insurance for my wife and myselt. Do any of you have any suggestions as to companies providing good coverage at reasonable prices? Thanks so much!!

What state are you in? Absent that piece of information, one general recommendation I have is to go with a high deductable plan, couple with a HSA(Health Savings Account). The only thing about HSAs is they might be phased out under ObamaCare, so I don't know if that will be an option in the future.

leezaback

Seasoned Expediter
Owner/Operator
Start with the majors. an insurance broker can be alot of help looking into different co. for you. I'm looking too-we are paying up the nose for minimal coverage-everyone wants perfect specmins who won't use the insurance. good hunting

vanman10

Expert Expediter
Good Luck! I have been looking for a health insurance plan since I started in this business 16 months ago. I hate the structure of ObamaCare, but this is why it happened. It should not be this difficult to get cost effective individual health insurance for a reasonable rate. Its the only thing I hate about working for myself.

vanman10

Expert Expediter
Are you in Michigan, Vanman?

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

usafk9, my address is Toledo, OH but I pretty much live in Monroe, MI where my girlfriend lives. Is there a benefit to living in Michigan when looking for health insurance.

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
The following is an exhaustive list of all companies selling comprehensive health insurance in the US at reasonable rates:

vanman10

Expert Expediter
Let me clarify. You can find all kinds of health insurance companies out there, but for an individual policy they will either be bogus scams, way to expensive for what you get, have a $1000+ deductible and for sure not have a real prescription plan. Comparing the insurance I had when working for a major company, there is NO comparison to the poor quality individual policies for which you can get a list of off the web.

JimF51

Seasoned Expediter
My brother is a independent business owner, does interior remodeling stuff. He joined a small business association, which then allowed him to get group health insurance, like being with a company. He just pays the whole premium, but still cheaper than a individual plan. That could be a option.

usafk9

Veteran Expediter
My wife and I are covered by Blue Cross/Blue Shield of Michigan. Coverage is nowhere near what I used to have as a state employee, but theirs isn't that great anymore, either. We pay $460/month for an 80/20 after a $2500 deductible. Had emergency surgery on the road last year, and it definitely came in handy. They cover anyone in Michigan.

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

Falligator

Expert Expediter
You may be able to get it through the state if you have a preexisting condition. I'm looking into this option on Monday since Psoriasis is called a preexisting condition even tho it's actually hereditary.

Posted with my iPhone EO Forum App

vanman10

Expert Expediter
Thanks folks for the info. I looked into the Chamber of Commerce insurance option quite a while back and it did not work out but will revisit this option, and the BCBS Michigan option to see if this will work for me. I also have a pre-existing condition, another difficulty in getting insurance.