Health Ins and Workmens Comp

miko

Expert Expediter
Do you all have Workmens Comp or something simular includet with your Ins plans? Had an interresting conversation with another o/o and was wondering about the pricing in different states.
Can anyone please direct me to where I can best find some info on this?

miko
o/o
2 yrs

ACE

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Each state is different. Look in the phone book for the bureau of workers compensation,ask an insurance agent,or check the internet for the state you reside in.

I always have had myself covered with workers comp. along with hospitalization insurance.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Most carriers provide a low cost disabilty policy. They are somewhat simular to workmans comp. Most are at fleet rates so they are more desirable than what you could obtain on your own.
But like anything, it never hurts to shop around.

Davekc

elton10

Expert Expediter
davekc

would that insurance be the same as "occupational" insurance.. Anywhere I could get an idea of going rates for it?

DannyD

Veteran Expediter
>Do you all have Workmens Comp or something simular includet
>with your Ins plans? Had an interresting conversation with
>another o/o and was wondering about the pricing in different
>states.
>Can anyone please direct me to where I can best find some
>info on this?

I'm not so sure workmans comp is such a great thing to have. I have it because our company mandates it. It's something I wish wasn't forced on us.

Having said that, I'd look into whoever is insuring your home. Our company has pretty good rates as far as workmans comp goes, but my homeowners company is even better.

Don't hold me to this, but I think my homeowners insurance company gives me better rates for workmans comp than you could get & your company would give you better rates than I could get. So if your own insurance company can't beat the rates that your expediting company will give you, I wouldn't spend too much time looking for a better deal.

Good luck to ya,
Danny

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
While there are simularities there are differences. Workmans comp is offered by the state and is usually very expensive. Company plans or private ones, are really disability plans. Many states now mandate that you must have some type of approved policy in place.

Davekc

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
Most of this is Regulated by the States, you put into a Pool with All Workers Classfied in a Trade. They all pay the same and the state overlooks it. In otherwords 10 insurance companies can offer it but they all share equally in losses and profits.

This is what makes them guarantee workers that they will have a benefit if one carrier goes bankrupt. Otherwise taxpayers would have to bail this individual out. Fair?

I could be wrong on each state but I know for fact in North Carolina it does not matter what insurance company you go to that offers it your gona pay the same at all 10 or however many even offer W/C.

Have just one claim though and watch out its gona at least double as it is adjusted for this.

Another suggestion Allstate and other big insurers have a policy for small business people or individuals that works very similar to WC but includes any illness or injury wether at work or home. Very affordable with no strings 7 day waiting period is the only string.

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
I am no expert at this, this is just what I have personally done. So if anyone has a better suggestion than please post it. But if your gona Flame me keep it down, I am only offering a alternative here for others.

Smarter than some? Smarter than everyone NO.