Heads Up On Husky Fuel Stops!

dieseldiva

Veteran Expediter
Over the weekend we had the pleasure of driving to northern Alberta for a delivery. Before I go on, I'd like to say that we enjoy most of our Canada trips and find the folks in SK and Alberta some of the nicest we've seen anywhere.

We generally purchase fuel at the Husky truck stops when available and have never had a problem in the past. Monday night on our way back, we stopped at the Husky in Regina, SK to top off our tanks. We were paying with cash and when we asked what the total was in "American", we were told it was the same. When we asked about the exchange rate, the person REFUSED to exchange it for us. Said it was so small it wasn't worth messing with!! Now, I'm glad we were only topping off the tank because we figured he got us for about 8 bucks. X how many cash paying yanks in a day?? And many of them with tanks that hold 300 gal or more??

We called Husky corporate yesterday when we got back into the states and were told that this isn't a Husky policy but they DO leave it up to the franchise owner as to whether they want to exchange or not!! I can't believe that a corporation would more or less put their blessing on a franchise rip off!!!

I'm wondering how long something like this would go on in the states if we treated our good neighbors to the north this way??

I don't know if I can do business with ANY Husky now that I know the corporation's stand on this issue.

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
Ahhh, the ugly American strikes again. When in Rome or, anywhere else in the world, exchange before you purchase. You really are not as special as you'd like to be. Being American.

rode2rouen

Expert Expediter
When ever I travel to a foreign country, I always try to make any purchases with the "coin of the realm". Seems to grease the wheels of international commerce.

Rex

dieseldiva

Veteran Expediter
>Ahhh, the ugly American strikes again. When in Rome or,
>anywhere else in the world, exchange before you purchase.
>You really are not as special as you'd like to be. Being
>American.

1. We entered on Sunday, there was no place to make the exchange.

2. I'm not crazy about doing that anyway.

3. Are you suggesting that I don't have the right to expect to be treated honestly and fairly while visiting Canada or anywhere else for that matter?

4. I think you're missing the main point of the post!

5. What is your problem with me today, are you going to follow me around the rest of the evening with your sour grapes on my posts?

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
Ahhh, Diva. That's precisely what i'm typing. It may come as a revelation to you, but, the rights you "expect" are no longer "yours" when you leave our soil, or possesions. Strange isn't it?? You don't care to exchange, but, evidently you don't like getting ripped either. All you have to figgure out is, which one you like the least, I guess.

dieseldiva

Veteran Expediter
>Ahhh, Diva. That's precisely what i'm typing. It may come
>as a revelation to you, but, the rights you "expect" are no
>longer "yours" when you leave our soil, or possesions.
>Strange isn't it?? You don't care to exchange, but,
>evidently you don't like getting ripped either. All you
>have to figgure out is, which one you like the least, I
>guess.

Well what was IIII thinking? Imagine being naive enough to expect to be treated MORALLY correct regardless of where I'm at??? How could I be so stupid???

And God forbid that I should complain when being ripped off by a large corporation, imagine that! They have only to tap ONE BUTTON on their cash register for the machine to give them the information that we were requesting, other Huskys do and have.

Please let us know the next time you're headed that way, we'll be sure to notify them that you're a yank that doesn't mind getting ripped off!!

ps....did you miss the part about it being Sunday and no place to exchange??

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Walk into a McDonalds, say, in Louisville, and demand to be able to pay for a Big Mac with Canadian currency. Considering how most American business view Canadian currency when it's presented to them for payment, I can't blame anyone in Canada for not wanting to mess with exchange rates for presenters of the US Dollar. Any that do, in my book, it's a plus. I generally make Canadian purchases with a debit or credit card, then let the banks sort it all out.

dieseldiva

Veteran Expediter
We usually pay that way as well Turtle, as it removes the hassle but we were going over 800 miles north of the border and weren't sure what kind of fuel stop conditions we would run into so opted to carry cash.

I don't think the comparison to the McDonalds is a fair comparison. Most Canadian businesses and ESPECIALLY fuel stops deal with American currency on a daily basis, unfortunately, some have figured out a way to benefit in an underhanded way.

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
Sunday really has nothing to do with it I guess. So what I read was "I really don't care to". So... live with it. And yes, you can expect all you want but......... I think you are getting the rest of the story figured out, if, you read some of the other typing and disregard mine. Maybe??

copdsux

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
If I read the exchange rates correctly, a US dollar was worth $1.055
Canadian today.:+

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
My daughters Petro-Can in Brantford doesn't do exchange neither DD even when the rate was a whooping 35%...Now thats a rip. And for a corporation why is it some Timmys give 2% and some 5% and some 1%??
And the Flying J in Rapid City SD only gives me 1/2 cent on the rewards card instead of the whole penny. Why cause he's a franchisee!!!

The J just bought a dozen or so Shell stations in Western Canada.

Sometimes crap happens and you just happen to be at the end of the roll!!*L*

frieghtchaser...most financial institutions charge about 2 -3 cents service charge on exchange so you'd be looking at 2 cents on the dollar at most.

Rikk

Expert Expediter
We always carry Canadian cash on us.....

One way to get cash is use your bank card and pull it out from an ATM..

As for the lost discount. It is not a requirement that they do that. We normally make sure we are full prior to going into Canada, if we have to fill up we normally use the Fifth Wheel stops.

Rikk Sullenberger
KG4AAO
D-Unit

RobA

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
>>Ahhh, the ugly American strikes again. When in Rome or,
>>anywhere else in the world, exchange before you purchase.
>>You really are not as special as you'd like to be. Being
>>American.
>
>1. We entered on Sunday, there was no place to make the
>exchange.
>
>2. I'm not crazy about doing that anyway.
>
>3. Are you suggesting that I don't have the right to expect
>to be treated honestly and fairly while visiting Canada or
>anywhere else for that matter?
>
>4. I think you're missing the main point of the post!
>
>5. What is your problem with me today, are you going to
>follow me around the rest of the evening with your sour
>grapes on my posts?

Dear Diva:
It reads like you had a terrible trip to Canada.
Where did you cross the border that the Livingston office was closed on a Saturday morning?
Why do you not pay with a VISA or Bank card and let them calculate the exchange?
And; due to the decline in value of the US dollar or possibly the increase in value of the Canadian Dollar there is virtually no exchange to consider.

Cashless transactions are common in Canada; the debit card has made great inroads here.
Each bank is part of a network; check with your bank and see which Canadian bank they have an agreement with. Go to a branch of the Canadian bank; most have an INTERAC machine and withdraw Canadian cash and that will be a bank to bank transaction. The current exchange will be automatically applied.

Many years ago; I had a Canadian penny refused by a US cashier.

I am always surprised that although the phrase:
BUSINESS PERSON FIRST...DRIVER SECOND
is bandied about on this Forum so frequently many Americans have great trouble with trips to Canada. We are not a difficult country to navigate; but some things are unique up here.

I believe my email address is in my profile on this site; you can always drop me an email if you have a question.

jwgmover

Expert Expediter
>I'm wondering how long something like this would go on in
>the states if we treated our good neighbors to the north
>this way??

Ever tried to use Canadian Cash at a US Fuel stop, even one close to the border? Ya don't have to worry about exchange rates, they flat out don't take it.

bamamule

Seasoned Expediter
the ugly american
we expect the world to treat us like roylty
why not 90% of the world would eather be under hitler or stalen
outhers wold still be under english or spanish rule
or have no econimy at all
so yes they should treat us as roylty

Benzoid

Seasoned Expediter
As of the 13th of July, the exchange rate is 1.046

That means that you only lost about 4 cents per dollar. Not like it used to be.

-Mike

sixwheeler

Expert Expediter
OntarioVanMan said:
>bama...you gotta be kidding me!!! Oh wait yes the great US
>of A the savior of the world!!!*LMAO*

Its one thing thing to have some middleastern muhammed lovin scum talking down this country but to have a Canadian say something like that infuriates the hell out of me, right to the bone.