hazmat loads

whiterrabbit

Expert Expediter
I know what it is but, nobody talks about it. do you get a premium for hauling it? I start next week for acompany that wants hazmat drivers. your thoughts please

TheGoodGuy

Expert Expediter
In my experience, it is rare that an outfit will pay extra for hauling Hazmat.

I know my company doesn't. Of course in a non forced dispatch situation, that can be negotiable.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
We do get a little extra for taking a HazMat load, helps pay for the license. We have never had a problem with a HazMat load but if you get pulled over they do check your paperwork closer. We take all HazMat loads if they pay enough to keep us moving!

Reactions: rollincoal

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
Only business I have ever seen that you need extra education, put your entire business and family at risk (if something big goes wrong) and we get nothing extra for it?

Smart business move in my book?????

Today I got my oil changed, they socked me for an extra $95.00 for a fuel filter that is and I will admit hard to remove. Point being they got paid we don't and your company could care less and 5% more is not worth carrying one a Hazmat load. It this fair.....

SAY NO TO CHEAP FREIGHT is that not what OOIDA signs say?

Reactions: blizzard2014

xkmail

Expert Expediter
I noticed that insurance is 300,000, but to carry hazmat it is $1,000,000 coverage, so I guess I'ms marter to jsut not get a hazmat or charge/negotiate extra?

jasonsprouse

Expert Expediter
>I noticed that insurance is 300,000, but to carry hazmat it
>is $1,000,000 coverage, so I guess I'ms marter to jsut not
>get a hazmat or charge/negotiate extra?

You'd be surprised how little difference there is in premiums between 300K and 1 mil. I currently operate a Roadside Assistance business, the difference in premiums for both Auto and general liability is less than $100 per year.

To me, having MazMat just means you have the opportunity for more loads. A lot of expedited HazMat may simply be drums of solvent or something flammable...

ACE

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I have a problem with hauling HazMat loads.
I base my thoughts on hauling loads for Roberts & Fed Ex CC.

A-Increased time when calling in to speak with dispatch must speak to a hazmat person.
B-Min. pay bonus if I remember right $ 25.00
C-Increased work stopping more often to check tires.
D-Limit on routes that you may choose.
E-Possible Health problems if you are exposed to the material.
F-If you have a leak or spill the cost of having your equipment be cleaned and the down time if your still alive.
G-Liability for a spill and the idea of living with yourself if some one was injured or killed because of a toxic spill.

I feel the min. increase in pay did not equal the possible liabilities.

So I did not haul HazMat for them after my first year.

I still do not haul HazMat even with my own authority.

These are my thoughts on the subject.

miko

Expert Expediter
Yes, thats so true.
Even I have Hazmat endorsement, I usually don't want to haul it either.
My company does not pay more and why should I deal with it? Not worth the thought.

mrrodneylong

Seasoned Expediter
I noticed that insurance is 300,000, but to carry hazmat it is $1,000,000 coverage, so I guess I'ms marter to jsut not get a hazmat or charge/negotiate extra?

perhaps you'd like to know that the fmc website says that since 1985 its 5 million worth of coverage for 1.1 1.2 1.3 2.3 and 6.1 hazmat

moose

Veteran Expediter
this is a simple example of supply & demand .
as long as so many of us understand the load opportunity and are willing to haul it for the same rates as general freight - carriers will have very little insensitive to pay more to cover HM loads .
however ,if your carrier allow you to negotiate the load rates , then having the HM endorsement might be a way better ROI.
same goe's for any other 'non conventional' Expedite load.(LG,Tag,Reefer,special handling...).
it is that one HM load a year in Houston on a Saturday afternoon going to Quebec - to make it worth the effort ,flat rate or not.

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
for all the hassle it doesn't pay, so i drop my hazmat
and with not having a sealed bulkhead there is so much i can't carry so why have it
and cost of getting it and time required was not worth it
and $25 dollars more to load take alot of loads to pay for it
i firgure for time off etc would cost $500.00 or so

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Ha, old thread....
Think of it as more loads instead of the pay for the load.
No you don't understand. We are playing with fire here and should be paid accordingly. This stuff is dangerous and somebody could get seriously hurt or possibly die. Yes it gives you more job opportunities but it should also pay a whole lot more than just a regular load. I call it battle pay.

Last edited:

Twiggy

Rookie Expediter
Yeah, I get paid 3 1/2 cents more per mile for hazmat. I haven't had to pull any though because my co driver lacks the endorsement. I fully understand your point. I agree, those loads should pay significantly more due to the danger involved.

Deville

Not a Member
I gave up on hauling hazmat a couple of years ago due to the low ball offers. It's not worth the risk.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I am fine with hazmat, as long as it pays more. I have more invested in the load [money, time, knowledge, risk], and if that's not rewarded, I don't accept the offer.

Reactions: Tennesseahawk