HAZ-MAT FOR CARGO VANS

track0182000

Expert Expediter
TO THE BIG COMPANIES;
I THINK IF YOUR GOING TO GET GOOD DRIVERS FOR YOUR CARGO VANS YOU NEED TO ADJUST TO SOME RULES. FIRST CARGO VAN DRIVERS ARE YOUR FASTEST RUNNERS, YOU DON'T HAVE LOG BOOKS TO FILL OUT OR SCALES TO GO ACROSS IN A CARGO VAN. SO WHY BOTHER FOR THE CARGO VAN DRIVER TO HAVE THE HAZ-MAT. ONLY THE BIG TRUCKS AND SEMI'S SHOULD BE CARRING THE HAZ-MAT. THE CARGO VAN DRIVERS GO AND GET OFF TWO OR THREE SKIDS AND THERE DONE. THE VAN DRIVERS SHOULD BE INDEPENDENT, SOME OF YOUR GOOD DRIVERS OUT THERE NEED DRIVING JOBS AND TOUGH TIME WITH CDLS AND ADDING HAZ-MAT. SO IF YOUR WANTING GOOD DRIVERS IN YOUR VANS WITH CLEAN DRIVING RECORD AND GOOD ATTITUDE, THINK ABOUT CHANGING SOME RULES WITH THE CARGO VANS. YOU MAKE IT EASY ON A FEW DRIVERS WHO CARE FOR THERE FAMILIES. I'M JUST TRYING TO HELP YOU VAN DRIVERS GET SOME WHERE. IF YOU AGREE WITH ME THEN HELP ME ON THIS ISSUE.:) I HAVE A HARD TIME GETTING THE HAZ-MAT BUT HAVE GOOD DRIVING RECORD AND DROVE FOR COMPANIES WITHOUT HAVING THE HAZ-MAT AND MADE GOOD RUNS.
THANK YOU :)

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
I have to disagree with you here.
... I actually have Hazmat and Tanker.. have had for years.. leftover from my days hauling Anhydrous Ammonia.. and at least with FedEx, I would have missed some good paying loads if I hadn't had Hazmat.

Now granted.. 90% of the Hazmat loads I hauled in my van, didn't even require placarding because they were not a reportable quantity, but I would not have been allowed to haul them for FedEx otherwise. Plus.. those runs paid more.. and usually just some lil drum, or container of chemicals.... I even had one "Hazmat" load.. that was a 1 foot square box!

Maybe some of the companies out there don't require it, good luck on your search.. but I never minded Hazmat..

JJ

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
To have a class C CDL you have to have some type of indorcement.

Most if not all expediting companys require at least a class C CDL.

Haz-mat is one type of endorsement.

Have you checked with your company to see if they will accept a passenger endorsement? In most states a passenger endorsement is what they require to drive a bus. But beware to obtain the passenger endorsement you most likely be required by the state of issue to take a driving test in a passenger bus or it's equivelent. This may require you to rent a bus in which to take the driving test.

This maybe a soultion to those who can not pass Haz-Mat,or do not want to haul haz-mat materials.

JJ

boboxbo

Expert Expediter
Hi Truck

I don't know if this will help you or not. But

if you go to website www.layover.com/newbies/cdltest you

can take the hazmat section of the cdl test over and over

again until your tired of it. You can pass the haz/mat

portion and it has benifited me when i drove for fed/ex cc

I won't go into details but it made me some extra moolah.

Good Luck

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Don!t let the Haz/mat test scare you,Just keep reading the requirements and study the questions and you will be able to pass it.Last year over 30% of my loads were haz/mat. Lots of extra $ doing haz/mat but you need to know the rules and if you are in a cargo van you will need to log.