Have you cargo vanners tried hauling air freight?

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Boy, the guy told you all that he runs for 1.25 a mile. He also said that he clears a grand a week after fuel. So even if the guy puts five hundred of that weekly money away for maintenance, breakdowns, and vehicle replacement, he is still averaging 500 dollars a week take home. That's not bad at all considering that fact that he gets to sleep in his own bed at night. He also doesn't have to sit at the truck stops day and night praying for a load. Why do you guys have to pick apart everything that someone else does? I think you all simply have too much time on your hands, and sitting in the driver seat staring out the front windshield has made a few of you guys batty in the head!

Any ways, why would you worry about this guy taking your job? Air freight is a completely different animal from traditional expedite. You have to have a professional attitude and patience when you are moving air freight on a consistent basis. I know, I used to do it out here in California. Oh, and air freight generally pays a lot more than regular expedite freight pays. I doubt drivers who are moving air freight are doing it at a reduced rate. It's not like automotive freight. You guys are a trip. No one can ever do anything right in your eyes.

I owned a company and figured out all there is to know about this industry and haters would come on here and bash me for every little detail. You guys drive a glorified delivery vehicle. Anyone can get your job if they have a cargo van and a couple of bucks. If you want a job that has stricter requirements for new hires, get a college education and get a real job. This man figured out how to tailor expedite to fit into his lifestyle. The man is a step above the average cargo van driver sitting in the Flying J parking lot. I'll post this and sit here clicking the refresh button until someone attacks me for sticking up for a fellow expediter. lol

This is soooo spot on! This sharing thread was started by someone actually making money, and not sitting at a truck stop trying to figure out their next negative post. Was derailed by the EO freight train! This attack, and it was an attack makes me sick. The arrogance and wisdom of some EO people make me glad I still rely on my magic 8 ball for answers. :mad:

Reactions: RedBird

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
This is soooo spot on! This sharing thread was started by someone actually making money, and not sitting at a truck stop trying to figure out their next negative post. Was derailed by the EO freight train! This attack, and it was an attack makes me sick. The arrogance and wisdom of some EO people make me glad I still rely on my magic 8 ball for answers. :mad:

I did not attack him at all. It does no good to come here and give have the story it is very misleading for people doing research. The op gave the impression he was making a grand a week when in reality that isn't even close does that help a person who is not aware of real costs? Like I said if it works for him that's great but let's be honest about real numbers

Sent from my Fisher Price ABC-123.

Last edited:

Maverick

Seasoned Expediter
My van has 285K miles, uses no oil, doesn't leak anything and gets about 16.5 mpg, cold air, and was just inspected by my mechanic after he put O2 sensors on it. You guys just sound so negative. Maybe I've been lucky but I like the way things are going. I paid less than $3500 for this van and spent probably $2500 on repairs other than regular maintenance so I think if it died tomorrow (which it won't)I've gotten my money out of it.

Sounds like a great gig to me. If your putting money away, it's the same as having the money for maintenance. Here's something positive for you. If your happy, making the money you want, and have some kind of control over your own destiny........smile, and have a great day. :D

Last edited:

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner

Arrogance or being honest and truthful..some people don't like or want to hear an honest answer...so don't put yourself out there if you don't want opinions..

Sent from my DROID RAZR using EO Forums mobile app

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
S'OK, you want "honest"? Here it is: It's doggone hard to make any money when half of your miles are unpaid "deadhead" miles. In the example given, we have a guy who makes 1.25 per loaded mile. That's really great, and many EO vanners wish they could touch that. Now for the problem: After dropping your freight, you deadhead back home, NO PAID MILES. That effectively cuts your pay in half, giving you .625 per mile for all miles driven on that business trip.

The IRS allows .555 per mile as a business deduction, at least under certain conditions. Let's take that as a cost, since the government seems to allow it. .625 - .555 = .07 per mile that you actually got paid. If you drove a 500 mile round trip, you actually cleared $35.00 for that trip. That's BEFORE you deduct tollway fares and any insurances that the government allows.

Can you say "Ouch"? I thought you could.

But, you DID say you wanted "honest", didn't you???

Hmmm... Maybe I should go a bit further with this. I drive a gasoline-powered van. I can prove that I spend almost half of what the government allows just on gasoline. That leaves the other half that I can spend-- oh boy, oh boy oh boy! Well, not quite. See, there's a reason the government allows that much. Things like tires, oil changes, surprise breakdowns and God knows what else bites a big hole in what's left, so by the end of the year there's not that much. Maybe instead of .07 a mile you might, in a good year, show .10 a mile. Great. Don't spend it all in one place, y'hear?

Last edited:

Maverick

Seasoned Expediter
Arrogance or being honest and truthful..some people don't like or want to hear an honest answer...so don't put yourself out there if you don't want opinions..

Sent from my DROID RAZR using EO Forums mobile app

I think the OP was just trying to have a conversation and let others know of possibilities in the business. Probably did not even think about all the negative feedback, which he should now know is going to come. Perhaps to him....saving the money and figuring it as a penny earned is the same as having the 1/3 and the 2/3 rolled into one?

It simply amazes me how a handful of people on this forum rush to correct and tear apart everything, and anything, which should be left open to adult discussion. I don't think for a moment this guy was any threat to mislead someone to an Expedite possibility. I personally found it interesting to know.

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I've done airfreight, I still do out-and-back stuff to this day. I can tell you the straight scoop from personal experience: Having half of your miles being unpaid deadhead miles ain't no way to earn a living. It DOES have the advantage that you spend your downtime at home rather than waiting at a truckstop, but the downside is that you spend such a large amount of your money driving empty miles. There's no doubt that it eats into your bank account, it just has to.

Flip side: How much do you really make, after everything is said and done, the other way? You spend a fortune setting up your van so you can live in it, you have to eat, shower and so on and so on, in really bad weather a van isn't the place to be so you have to seek more substantial shelter and that can be costly, so-- after all the bells and whistles how much do you REALLY clear on the other side of this, those of you who stay out for weeks or months at a time? Even making it as cheap as you can, living on the road does have a cost after all.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
It simply boils down to a personal choice what is best for the person.

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
Running 50% deadhead is no problem at all if the loaded miles pay enough. I and a few others got into some freight last fall that paid plenty to make a round trip out of it. It was 129 miles loaded. I only wish they had never got caught up. It did last about 3 weeks....some of my best paying weeks in a van.

Maverick

Seasoned Expediter
I've done airfreight, I still do out-and-back stuff to this day. I can tell you the straight scoop from personal experience: Having half of your miles being unpaid deadhead miles ain't no way to earn a living. It DOES have the advantage that you spend your downtime at home rather than waiting at a truckstop, but the downside is that you spend such a large amount of your money driving empty miles. There's no doubt that it eats into your bank account, it just has to.

Flip side: How much do you really make, after everything is said and done, the other way? You spend a fortune setting up your van so you can live in it, you have to eat, shower and so on and so on, in really bad weather a van isn't the place to be so you have to seek more substantial shelter and that can be costly, so-- after all the bells and whistles how much do you REALLY clear on the other side of this, those of you who stay out for weeks or months at a time? Even making it as cheap as you can, living on the road does have a cost after all.

Great points, and IMHO.....a constructive response toward a possible flip side. I personally applaud anyone who is doing what they can to survive now a days; and if you can mix in happiness toward this endeavor, all the better.

One size doesn't fit all, and since I love to drive? Who cares if I drive back with no pay? I already figured and received my known amount to begin with. The days of making huge sums of money may well be over for the old timers and could be a hard pill to swallow.....but it's time to move on and do the best we can.

Last edited:

underdog777

Seasoned Expediter
most ppl are just mad he is making money and they are sitting. me on the other hand would ask this! where can I sign up. I had a pharm route that I did better at than this gig now! but I got under bid I was at 600 a week and the person bid it 520 I couldnt do it gas in my van was 100 week delivering to 12 pharmacy. was a great gig arrived at 6 thru by noon. well anyways like I said it seems to me every one is hating on you. also if you run in your own area when something does break on van you dont have to figure in a place to stay while its getting fixed , or the price gouge of them knowing you need it fixed bad' just wanted to point out a few of tge maint issues that these puppets point out , but dont research!!

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
most ppl are just mad he is making money and they are sitting. me on the other hand would ask this! where can I sign up. I had a pharm route that I did better at than this gig now! but I got under bid I was at 600 a week and the person bid it 520 I couldnt do it gas in my van was 100 week delivering to 12 pharmacy. was a great gig arrived at 6 thru by noon. well anyways like I said it seems to me every one is hating on you. also if you run in your own area when something does break on van you dont have to figure in a place to stay while its getting fixed , or the price gouge of them knowing you need it fixed bad' just wanted to point out a few of tge maint issues that these puppets point out , but dont research!!

Oh yea we are just mad. Thanks for the daily humor.

DRIVERDUDE

Seasoned Expediter
Thanks Maverick and blizzard for the support. I think its a great gig. As far as trying to complicate figuring in things such as taxes and other crap, you can look at it another way....if I make a paltry 62.5 cents and can write off 55.5 cents then as far as the gov't is concerned I don't make any money, therefore I don't pay much if any in taxes plus I have rental property to write off so in the government's eyes I'm poor. I don't like the way they spend money so I won't give them any if I can help it. I still put a grand in my pocket after normal expenses. I don't pay fees, Qualcom, buy showers, eat in fast food restaurants, and sleep in truck stops and rest areas. I've been playing this game for many years and it's worked for me. Every expediter I've talked to on the road is whining about sitting and not enough miles. I have to turn runs down because I don't have the time to run them.

Deville

Not a Member
I'm not a rookie by any means. I've been doing this for over 9 years. Vans are a depreciating asset. A new one loses value the minute you drive it off the lot. I understand the cost of repairs and everything else about the expediting business. I don't like living in my van and hanging out in truck stops for days at a time. I read your posts and see how you get stuck in places far from home. This is working for me, so I'll continue doing it this way. By the way my fuel costs average $350-400.00 / week not $500. I bought a brand new Ford 350 diesel and the cost to run it was a lot more than my gas burner. $3600 just for a turbo that blew up 13,000 miles out of warranty. Until something better comes along I'll continue doing this. I only run the southeast so it makes it easier to do it this way.

Ford & Chevy vans are a dime a dozen & will be for some time. It's very easy to move in to a more than halfway decent van for $2500-3500 & get a lot of miles & use out of it for minimal money.

I'm looking for another van for myself to keep as a spare in case the current one dies or God forbid I actually find more work

canesman07

Seasoned Expediter
Whoa wait a minute guys. I have a 2008 Ford E-250. I bought it used with 7189 miles on it. Today I am over 414,000 miles and maint wise I have put on a 6 tires, a alternator, a battery, front and rear brakes, a front left side ball joint, a few headlights and wiper blades, and a front spindle (1500). I have had the van for not quite 4 years and it is paid for. Every thing accept fuel is profit. 40$ oil changes is hardly a burden. I do not have a separate account for maint I simply pay for it when it happens. If he is happy running air freight so be it and let him figure it out in the end. There are too many doom and gloom drivers and owner ops out there gesh. Let it be.

canesman07

Seasoned Expediter
@blizzard

For the record last YEAR I drove 71K loaded miles. 3180 paid for DH miles. I drove 104850 total miles and earned just over 77K in total revenue. It is not hard to make money out here but most of these whiners think their schit don't stink and think going to Canada is too difficult or going to the North East is too expensive. We are glorified delivery drivers but too many people see themselves as more elevated in self worth then reality. This is niche job at best.

money

Rookie Expediter
I am just getting started .I am owner operated .I have a cargo van . What advice u have for me

Sent from my SPH-L900 using EO Forums mobile app

RedBird

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
I am just getting started .I am owner operated .I have a cargo van . What advice u have for me

Sent from my SPH-L900 using EO Forums mobile app

Turn that van into a "shaggin wagon" cruise the California coast pick up chicks at the beach and forgeddaboutit!