Have a challenge-Need a creative idea

DannyD

Veteran Expediter
I could use some ideas here please. The situation is at my folks house, to get out of their driveway, ya pull out onto a road w/ a 55MPH speed limit. That wouldn't seem like such a big deal as millions of people live in similar situations across the country.

The problem is that ya can't see the cars coming from the east (heading west) because there's a hill there. From the westbound headed car's perspective, they're going 55MPH, come to the top of this hill & 100 feet ahead of em there's this car pulling out of the driveway. From my folks perspective, ya pull out & holy smokes, a car is right up on your tail. This is an accident waiting to happen.

I will say to most people's credit, they're actually not driving 55. I say that because when I'm in my car, & actually get up to 55MPH, the car behind me often falls back some. So I'm not complaining about a bunch of speeders. Even if they're going 45, pulling in front of em from a dead stop is pretty dangerous.

The township won't put a "Hidden Driveway" sign out there. My folks have asked already. Why they won't is beyond me. I've thought of putting a mirror on a post in front of the house up by the road, but not sure how well that would work in winter when it's frosty & such.

What I'm wondering here is there some sort of flashing sign/light that could be put in the neighbors yard (they can see fine as they're sort of at the top of that hill) that would activate as my folks pull up their driveway? This would be a sign that would say "slow down" or something along those lines, that would only flash when someone was pulling out of the driveway.

I'm not thinking of a stop light at the end of my folks driveway. A lot of people don't even know their house is there. It's hidden pretty well. I delivered pizzas in this area for years back in the 80s & never knew this house existed until my folks bought it.

Short of having em getting a Corvette or something that can do 0 to 60 in light speed, I'm not sure what the solution might be. Any ideas would really be appreciated here. The ideas can be either the solution itself or point em in the right direction of who to talk to.

usafk9

Veteran Expediter
Convex mirror. Real common in Europe in similar situations. Even a little dirty, you can see an approaching object, day or night. Brush clean with very light soapy water once a month.

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

Hightech_Hobo

Expert Expediter
I'd go with a wireless camera...like one of those license plate ones at walmart...bout 90 bucks I think..but the deductible and injury potential more than justifies that expense.

any signs may be a problem with the authorities. The cameras are small and I doubt anybody would even know its there. The monitor would only work while in range of the camera but the moniter is small, easily mounted and has an off/on switch so it can be used only when needed. Running a 12v wire to the cam should be easy if anywhere near the house.

Good luck!!

bluejaybee

Veteran Expediter
Have you used the "liability" word to the county board responsible for placing such a sign? Just a thought! Flashing lights and cameras would be great, but how doable would that be?

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Document the issue, and then get a lawyer to write up a request to the county. If they refuse, than go to court.

If your parents have an accident because they refused to put up a sign, the lawyer can now sue the crap out of them for their negligence.

We have a simular situation. We have asked, pleaded and even would have bought the stop signs to put up at the corner but the county and township refused to allow them. We needed them on the street with the hill, people would start at the top of the hill and fly down at 40 to 50 mph. We had several serious accidents already.

They finally came through after ****ing up our streets by improperly paving them, screwing up the sidewalks by moving them around and leaving holes everywhere and putting in wheel chair ramps all over the place. They put in stop signs for one street but not the street with the hill and already we had two accidents.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
The mirror seems to be the easiest solution, and it works: there's one in Point Marion, Pa, where you have to pull onto a main street without being able to see what's coming.
A 'Hidden drive' sign may be disregarded, even if present.