Hauling your vehicle

dpea9

Expert Expediter
Has anyone hauled your vehicle in the box on your D-Unit? I want to put my Ford Ranger pickup in my truck and haul it from Kentucky to Idaho. But I am not sure how to tie it down as I don't have d-rings in the floor. It is a 22ft box.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
An etrack bar at the floor in front of the front and back tires and behind the rear tires as well as one across the front at the bumper if you are lucky enough to have it at the right level. Set the parking brake hard as well. That should hold it against all but the craziest of driving and/or a crash. Nothing would be enough in that case.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB, OOIDA Life Member 677319
Owner, Panther trucks 5508, 5509, 5641
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
How do you propose to load and unload the car.Usually you will need a dock that you can drive the car on to then into the truck.I don't think the tow vehicles raise thier ramps high enought to transfer a car from them to you.

Also it would probably be in your best interests to a very small amount of gasoline in the tank,I think the car haulers have less then 3 gallons when shipped.

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
I've purchased a few vehicles on the road and hauled them home over the years. Etrac straps thru the frame works goos on each end, as well as load locks with some pads over them. Usually a farm implement dealer is your best be for loading. You'll have to crawl out the window to get out usually.

dieselphreak2K

Expert Expediter
Another option for unloading is having a roll-back type wrecker meet you at the unload point. It's pretty easy, just drive from truck to truck, and then tilt the bed and drive off.

dpea9

Expert Expediter
Thanks everyone for the help. I think I am going to do as dieselphreak2k said. And see if I can load and unload it from a rollback wrecker.I hope it is the right heighth. If not I guess I will see if I can load and unload at a farm implement shop. "WOW" talk about deadheading. Tennessee to Idaho and back!!!!!!!!! AAHHHH (I MUST BE BRAINDEAD)

OH wait I hear the phone, It must be someone wanting a load of "IDAHO POTATOES" hauled back to the Midwest!!! :7 :7 (I can dream can't I)

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I drove my van to Columbus to pick up my new truck. Drove it in the box and used load locks front and rear. No problem. Met a flatbed wrecker in the Big Lots parking lot, it was where he happened to be when I called, drove the van out and the wrecker put it on the ground. Probably the easiest 40 bucks he's made with that wrecker.