Has carb sniffed your tail pipe yet?

RETIDEPXE

Veteran Expediter
I appreciate the thread on reefers and CARB, now let's talk truck motors. I heard on Landlinenow that CARB is declaring August as Green month with the inspections set up at scales to "educate truckers", read....check emissions compliance by running a sniff test etc. (and, oh, btw, CA DOT will be doing spot inspections since trucks will be stopped anyway).

I have only heard one driver so far say he was checked by CARB involving a 30 minute sniff test on his motor.

CARB's online rules and regs are not clear as to when my one truck fleet '06 Cat motor may require dpf, or whether I have to register it or not (tried to register it as a precaution on CARB's site and it went into some crazy computer h e _ _ loop). The site itself will make one crazy and the phone call to CARB is a waste of time for the same above "h e _ _ loop" reasons.

Questions; What happens if they find my catalytic converter, or whatever, is not performing correctly? Do they sniff the blow by or just tail pipes? (besides the sniff, I know what they can kiss!) Do I have to prove my '07 truck came with an '06 motor?, I heard replacement motors, according to fed and/or CARB regs, has to be replaced with same yr motor.

DOT inspections I do not fret over, but emissions, I don't want to be the guinea on the learning curve, OR pay for a tow out of state by officer CHIPS's "you are required to use" brother-in-laws BEND OVER wrecker srvce out of state OR be on the hook for a major emission upgrade.

Because we plan to keep our old ('06 motor, non dpf) truck for a while yet, I am looking for shared knowledge or experience with the CARB testing/compliance. Thanx in advance.

CARB http://www.expeditersonline.com/forum/images/icons/icon13.png

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Whenever CA says "education' it is soon followed by "legislation" that is solely designed to remove money from the pockets of hard working business owners.

I have not been 'sniffed' yet. This is just ANOTHER thing that must be taken into account when deciding whether or not to upgrade my reefer.

California needs to be outlawed.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
California needs to be outlawed.

aMEHrica-yulhd6-d.jpg

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Engines have an identification and specs plate attached to them international 466Es are usualy spot welded onto the back of the block. This plate will show the date of build and other specs on the motor.

Gee, I wonder why more and more drivers avoid Calafornia?.
If it makes anyone feel better New York State always follows in lock step.

Last edited:

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Too bad that is not what is happening. It WOULD be nice! California is moving to the NW about an inch per year. Look out Alaska they are headed your way! Try not to get infected by them!

Yep, NY State is just about as bad as California.

Last edited:

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
And here I thought that Florida was the only state we were talking about sawing off of the continent. Reason: Almost as many crazy people running loose-- and running the state-- in Florida as in California.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Follow my example, Boycott California!!!

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

It won't do a bit of good. There will ALWAYS be people willing to run there, and for likely cheaper rates than you or I would. Until industry, shippers and the carriers boycott, nothing will get done.

California will continue to go down the tubes, good for them. They asked for it.

ttruck

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Have you ever looked at some of the junk that comes out of cali and the illegals that drive them
scary,some of those trucks are rolling wrecks and i also boycott ca. dont go there or mass. or ny.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Have you ever looked at some of the junk that comes out of cali and the illegals that drive them
scary,some of those trucks are rolling wrecks and i also boycott ca. dont go there or mass. or ny.

IF I boycotted everywhere that does not like truckers I would have no where to go!

14Wheeler

Seasoned Expediter
There will ALWAYS be people willing to run there, and for likely cheaper rates than you or I would.

I just hope mis-information like this keeps spreading. I run to Calif on
an average 2-3 times a month and I assure you......rates are far far from being cheap or discounted.

PLEASE , even tho you're talking foolishness , keep spreading the word bout not accepting anything to the west coast.

My bank account thanks you

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I just hope mis-information like this keeps spreading. I run to Calif on
an average 2-3 times a month and I assure you......rates are far far from being cheap or discounted.

PLEASE , even tho you're talking foolishness , keep spreading the word bout not accepting anything to the west coast.

My bank account thanks you

I only run to CA for rates that are far above the norm for others areas of the country. There are, however, many loads offered at rates that no one should be accepting anywhere that are being accepted and taken to CA.