Has anyone converted a school bus into an expeditor?

WanderngFool

Active Expediter
Or how about one of those motorhomes with a garage in back for ATVs and BIKES ?
I'd think you'd have to beef up the back end.

I've wondered why you Sprinter guys aren't using toy haulers too. Ok so a little surgery to a suspension component or two and your fuel economy would suffer a bit. But imagine having all that room! And an almost real kitchen! And an almost real bathroom!

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
I've wondered why you Sprinter guys aren't using toy haulers too. Ok so a little surgery to a suspension component or two and your fuel economy would suffer a bit. But imagine having all that room! And an almost real kitchen! And an almost real bathroom!

And a very real log book.

C

colinhay

hi all...recently i have seen a bus which is wheelchair accessible .This is very helpful for the disabled.This service is provide by the Capital service.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
In the Sixties, Ken Kesey and his friends converted an old IH school bus into an expediter. The custom paint job on the bus and their unprofessional appearance didn't sit well with the general freight shipping community or law enforcement agencies. A poor on-time delivery record and high number of freight claims led to the demise of their operation and Furthur use of school buses as expediters.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
In the Sixties, Ken Kesey and his friends converted an old IH school bus into an expediter. The custom paint job on the bus and their unprofessional appearance didn't sit well with the general freight shipping community or law enforcement agencies. A poor on-time delivery record and high number of freight claims led to the demise of their operation and Furthur use of school buses as expediters.[/QUOTE
NYASHpartridge_rachael1.jpg

Last edited:

jjtdrv4u

Expert Expediter
In the Sixties, Ken Kesey and his friends converted an old IH school bus into an expediter. The custom paint job on the bus and their unprofessional appearance didn't sit well with the general freight shipping community or law enforcement agencies. A poor on-time delivery record and high number of freight claims led to the demise of their operation and Furthur use of school buses as expediters.

was it the "short" school bus that he used to ride to school?

cbear

New Recruit
Researching
I've been seriously thinking about the school bus approach. I'm a total newbie, and have never driven commercial. This is my first post by the way. I seriously think I could make one DOT / FMVSS compliant, with little initial outlay. I was thinking of 40', under 26001, no CDL. I have no issues filing for a LLC, DOT #, medical, insurance, etc.

My biggest concern would be loads. Would any company lease with me as an O/O? If not, I don't mind getting an MC#, but then would any brokers work with me? Obviously outfits like FedEx CC are very particular about the trucks, but do you think other would work with someone hauling with a bus?

fastman_1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I've been seriously thinking about the school bus approach. I'm a total newbie, and have never driven commercial. This is my first post by the way. I seriously think I could make one DOT / FMVSS compliant, with little initial outlay. I was thinking of 40', under 26001, no CDL. I have no issues filing for a LLC, DOT #, medical, insurance, etc.

My biggest concern would be loads. Would any company lease with me as an O/O? If not, I don't mind getting an MC#, but then would any brokers work with me? Obviously outfits like FedEx CC are very particular about the trucks, but do you think other would work with someone hauling with a bus?
Surely you read the entire thread before posting?

cbear

New Recruit
Researching
Surely you read the entire thread before posting?
I did, most of it seemed unrelated. There was an instance decades ago relating to a under performing carrier using buses, an tainting the concept. So have buses been totally blacklisted by the industry?

cbear

New Recruit
Researching
OK, same could be said for a van. If a bulkhead was installed, strip out the seats and put a roller door on the back, there's not much difference. The chassis and drive line is the same as many straight trucks in some instances.

My bigger concern is would it keep me from getting loads because of some stigma?

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
The 55mph top speed is going to be an issue. Plus a forklift won't fit in the back without a running start.

Reactions: cbear

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
OK, same could be said for a van. If a bulkhead was installed, strip out the seats and put a roller door on the back, there's not much difference. The chassis and drive line is the same as many straight trucks in some instances.
Being "there's not much difference", why go through all the trouble of converting a school bus into a straight truck?

My bigger concern is would it keep me from getting loads because of some stigma?
Yeah there's some stigma attached to expediting with school buses. Ken Kesey gave school buses, LSD and expediting a bad name back in the 1960s. The stigma persists today. Would you turn over your valuable, time sensitive freight to these people?

furthur_ogbus_zpssrmshba4.jpg

Further%204_zpslyupowtg.png

Reactions: cbear

fastman_1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
W
I did, most of it seemed unrelated. There was an instance decades ago relating to a under performing carrier using buses, an tainting the concept. So have buses been totally blacklisted by the industry?
Well go ahead and build on, let us know how that works out for ya!