Has anyoe heard of On Call Logistics?

mikedrives191

Rookie Expediter
I have been talking to a fleet owner who has cargo vans leased on to a company in Traverse City, Michigan. I looked them up on safer web and it looks like they just had their broker authority involuntarily revoked. I was wondering if anyone on here has ever worked with this company either as a driver or a carrier? Other than what is says on safer web, I can't seem to find much information about them. Are they one of the good carriers? Any information you can provide would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
If a broker authority isn't being used then they would probably just let it go, especially given the new costs. It wouldn't change anything that you would be doing or stop me from driving for them if there aren't a bunch of other red flags.

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
It was originally started by blizzard who is an EO member..last I knew there was a " hostile take over" couple of years ago by preacher rich ..also a EO member. ...I have seen there vans recently..

hazmat

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Speaking for myself only and my experience with them, I worked with them when Blizzard and Preacher Rich were together and for Preacher Rich when he was by himself... I was always paid in a timely manner... I always was treated with respect... I was always asked for rates or helped in negotiation of a rate... They never took a load that I wasn't asked first if I would be interested in that particular load... 90% of the loads I ran were "Non-Automotive" and I ran loads as far west as Wyoming and as far East as Upper New York State and ran loads along the Gulf Coast from Texas to Florida and everywhere in between in the Mid-West... And "Yes", I would go back to work for them again!!!

mikedrives191

Rookie Expediter
Hazmat, how long has it been since you stopped working for this company? I'm trying to find out current information about them. Also, Pallud why would a company have their broker authority involuntarily revoked if they decided to not be a broker any longer? They would have simply sent a letter to the FMCSA and had their authority voluntarily revoked. It looks much better when a carrier does it that way as opposed to being served with a notice and then having their authority involuntarily revoked. That leads me to believe that there are money issues going on with the company. I want to hear from one of their current owner ops and get a good idea of how solid this company is. Thank you for the link to that other thread, it looks like the previous owner had some problems and they both parted ways. That's not uncommon in the business world. It happens all of the time.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Involuntary revoked is never a good thing. Most often it happens when the insurance company notifies the DOT that insurance has lapsed and the DOT notifies the carrier or broker and gets no response. On Call's revocation has been updated to show 5/11/15 as the revocation date.

mikedrives191

Rookie Expediter
If you look into their insurance history, you will see that their bond has been cancelled 4 times in the past six months. Could it be that they were opening new bonds up in other peoples names after failing to pay people for hauling their freight? It's interesting to say the least. I wish one of their current drivers would come on here and tell us how the pay is and if they're a good outfit to run for. Every company has financial issues from time to time. What matters is that they pay their contractors on time. Things are rough out there right now. I think cutting out parts of the company that are no longer profitable to sustain is a good business practice.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
Also, Pallud why would a company have their broker authority involuntarily revoked if they decided to not be a broker any longer?

They may not put a priority on paying their bond if they don't broker loads. If the business is a 1 or 2 person operation something that produces nothing and is never dealt with is easy to get lost in the list of things to do. It could be a sign of disorganization or it could be a money problem. It's something that would be a red flag but not a deal breaker until there is a better idea of what is happening.

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
If you look into their insurance history, you will see that their bond has been cancelled 4 times in the past six months. Could it be that they were opening new bonds up in other peoples names after failing to pay people for hauling their freight? It's interesting to say the least. I wish one of their current drivers would come on here and tell us how the pay is and if they're a good outfit to run for. Every company has financial issues from time to time. What matters is that they pay their contractors on time. Things are rough out there right now. I think cutting out parts of the company that are no longer profitable to sustain is a good business practice.

So you should pay your contractors and not pay the carriers you hire to run loads? With that theory.....what if the carriers that gave OnCall loads didnt pay them. How would OnCall pay you?

Now with that being said, I don't know anything about the companies status and/or operations today. I have met both of them in the past and they seemed like decent guys. But that would be all I could say.

Reactions: Moot and ntimevan

rjthetightway

Seasoned Expediter
I've enjoyed the expediting life but I'm out of the business because of this company and I was a company driver so what I'm trying to say is that if I have to pay for everything and not get paid back because they want to keep buying more vehicles so he can generate more money for himself, just beware of this company cause when all is said and done you won't have any trust in other companies or owners.

Reactions: expiditer0909

libra112

Active Expediter
Owner/Operator
Richard Barrett DOES NOT believe in paying his drivers. I worked for 3wks, spending all my money on fuel & didn't get paid until almost 2 months later.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Richard Barrett DOES NOT believe in paying his drivers. I worked for 3wks, spending all my money on fuel & didn't get paid until almost 2 months later.
You state that he doesn't believe in paying his drivers, yet you got paid. I find it hard to believe that he actually doesn't believe in paying his drivers. If that were true then he'd have been out of business a long time ago.

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
It is a sad state when people have issues with carriers and providing info is a good thing but we all must understand the rules of the site and post accordingly. Check the Code of Conduct if you are doubtful. We as Moderators must uphold these rules and it does not mean we support or disagree with any people or carriers or any subject that is spoke about. We just have to keep the post inline with the rules.

Reactions: jelliott

libra112

Active Expediter
Owner/Operator
This company is known through out the expediting companies for not paying his drivers. The only reason I was paid was because I threatened to take him to court. I'm not the only one who had/have problems with this man. There are ppl still waiting that I know personally waiting to get their money. I shouldn't have had to wait that long to be paid. I did the job that was required of me so I should have been paid on time every time.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
This company is known through out the expediting companies for not paying his drivers. The only reason I was paid was because I threatened to take him to court. I'm not the only one who had/have problems with this man. There are ppl still waiting that I know personally waiting to get their money. I shouldn't have had to wait that long to be paid. I did the job that was required of me so I should have been paid on time every time.
But that sounds more like a factoring and cash flow problem than it does a "DOES NOT believe in paying his drivers" problem. You have to be careful in your wording when it comes to unsubstantiated allegations, otherwise it's just a he-said'she-said airing of a personal grievance with an individual or a carrier, and EO is not the arbitrator of such grievances. This is particularly true of those who sign up for EO and immediately start posting their grievances.

libra112

Active Expediter
Owner/Operator
Wow...I'll take the words "Does NOT" out but what happened did happen. I know ppl go in these forums to bash companies. That's not what I was trying to do. I was simply explaining what happened to me because of the original post ( as I did here on EO when it first happened to me) Like I told Richard Barrett the last time I saw him I have no ill feelings with him or his company & will pray that he figures out how to treat his drivers...As well as communicates better with them.