Greatest Rock Song of all time?

FAMILYEXPDT

Seasoned Expediter
HMMMM

Guess it owuld have to be Have you Ever Seen the Rain....CCR and especially John Fogarty are my fave.....

-Charlotte

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I agree with Hawk that favorite song isn't the same as the greatest rock song. The term rock and roll encompasses such a wide range of music that it is difficult to define pure rock.

A song like "The Wreck Of The Edmund Fitzgerald" is a great and moving ballad, but I would classify it as folk music. Jimi Hendrix's "Star Spangled Banner" for me evokes more emotion and visual images than Francis Scott Key's original version with lyrics. And Mr. Key was at Fort McHenry! But still not a rock song.

Wow, too much music and so little time. Great thread! This one will be fun to follow.

Packmule

Expert Expediter
What makes this decision really hard is the Classification of "ROCK". SRV, Clapton, BB King, and even ZZ Topp as well as the Almond Bros. are really in the "BLUES" classification. (Where my heart is).
Buddy Holley, Elvis, Rollin' Stones, and even The Beatles were known as original Rock and Rollers.
Growing up in the 50's and being involved in music most of my life,(many types, from early R&R,Soul,Country,to Bluegrass). I have seen and been a part of the wide diminsions that it has transformed into.
The roots of R&R is down home Blues which Artist have expanded into new horizons which has formed todays Generic ROCK Music.
There are many songs that gives chills everytime you hear them and are your favorites, but are they TRUE Rock & Roll.

Ponder that,
Danny

Jayman

Expert Expediter
Highway Star wrote:

"Godsmack, Metalica, and Gordon Lightfoot? Would it be fair to say that you're, uhh, complicated?"

No, thats not tooooo bad. lol Here is complicated.
3 Doors Down, 38 Special, AC/DC, America, Asia, Bangels, Beatles, Billy Joel, Billy Squire, Bob Seger, Brooks & Dunn, Bon Jovi, Boston, Christina Aguilera, CCR, Creed, ##### Yankees, Def Leppard, Doobie Brothers, Doors, Elton John, Five For Fighting, Fleetwood Mac, Foreigner, Four Tops, Genesis, Goo Goo Dolls, Great White, Guns & Roses, Heart, Jackson Browne, Jefferson Airplane/Starship, John Denver, Journey, Kansas, Kiss, Led Zeppelin, Loverboy, Madonna, Mamas & Papas, Matchbox 20, Meatloaf, Metallica, Motley Crue, Nelson, Nickelback, Night Ranger, Nirvana, Ozzy, Pink Floyd, Poison, Queen, REO Speedwagon, Rolling Stones, Ronnie Milsap, Rush, Scorpions, Staind, Steve Miller Band, Styx, Survivor, Ted Nuggent, The Babys, The Cars, The Who, U2, Van Halen, White Snake, and ZZ Top. :+

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I see a problem; you can not really define any true form of Rock. I mean it encompasses more than what Packmule mentioned, one is the different forms of Jazz that not only influence very early Rock but intergrating into Rock with such things as stride piano and rag time and Boogie as many learned folk have argued.

But with that said, you can indeed include some forms of folk music in electric form, as in Dylan’s early electric years and even some vocal groups that cross a few genres like the Cleftones, Gordon Jenkins and The Weavers, Ink Spots and others. Oh and of course the Kingston Trio (which all of these groups covered rock music at one time).

The same goes for the instrumental side, I mean like Herb Albert, Mason Williams can be considered rock with some cross over and so can a few others like 101 Strings (Yea that’s a stretch but hey it is in my collection), and even the rock version of Rhapsody in Blue by (I think) ELP in the 70’s – so maybe considering Gershwin as a Rock Artist is the same as 101 strings?

But anyway
• Bangels
• Christina Aguilera
• Madonna
All are pop, not rock

• Brooks & Dunn
• Ronnie Milsap
• John Denver (I know more folk than country but … than again you can consider Ray Charles country because of his start in country music and the few cross over albums he did)
Are all country not rock

If you consider these ‘artist’ rock, then so is Frank Sinatra, Jackie Gleason and Mason Williams for that matter.

Anyway I am sticking to my idea of the greatest song.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Switch 'Asia' for 'Flogging Molly', and I think we have the same collection, lol - except I like the blues more than rock, as I get older.
Danny: Almond Bros?! ROFL - the typo (if it was one) sure fits!

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I am not a Rolling Stones Fan. In fact I have never owned a Stones recording until Cheri sent me a cd containing "You Can't Always Get What You Want." But when you consider greatest rock songs, you have to think Rolling Stones.

I have a friend who's favorite song is "Start Me Up." I remember years ago at a wedding, not his, the band began to play "Start Me UP."
Tommy vaulted over the head table and slid across the dance floor on his knees in front of the band. Part way through his slide something on the floor stopped his forward progress. He did a face plant, splitting open his chin and tearing holes in the knees of his rented tux. So in honor of Tommy Ewens, I nominate "Start Me Up" by the Rolling Stones.

Dog_House2691

Seasoned Expediter
Beatles..Who..Rolling Stones..Led Zepplin..Eric Clapton..Santana..Journey..Deep Purple..Styx..Boston..Foreigner..Aerosmith..Bob Seger..Ted Nugent..Elvis..David Bowie..Rod Stewart..Credence Clearwater Revival..Crosby Stills Nash and Young..Pink Floyd..Traffic..Electric Light Orchestra..Bachman Turner Overdrive..Frank Zappa..Uriah Heep..Van Morrison..and many more,I am sure I left some of my favorites out but you could find Great songs from these.I have a hard time narrowing down to one. But I believe the Beatles had the Greatest Influence on Rock and Roll,just my opinion.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Moot, that is just hilarious!

Dog House... I agree the Beatles, as a band, have had the most influence. But what one song of theirs takes the cake? They have so many different styles, it's hard to guess. But I'd say Hey Jude.

-Vampire Super Slooth Trucker!!!

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Did anyone catch The Fab Faux on Howard Stern last week? They were awesome! They're more than just a tribute band. They re-create the songs down to the most trivial detail and do it VERY well. They opened with A Day In The Life, including the Sgt. Pepper refrain that leads into it. That's a song that would, in no way, be as easy to do live as She Loves You or I Wanna Hold Your Hand. They also did While My Guitar Gently Weeps and Penny Lane. I think I actually got goose bumps during Gently Weeps.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Then we come to the greatest album of all time because Sgt Peppers is mentioned. For influence, content and just plan good music, it is far above anything else produced.

The white album is not as good as it could have been, the colaberation between Lennon and McCarthy really suffered throughout the album and it showed. You can just forget Let It Be because that was outside the influence of the band and George Martin.

Second to Sgt Peppers would be Rubber Soul and after that the White Album and Abby Road.

pelicn

Veteran Expediter
What??? No Lynyrd Skynyrd....Molly Hatchett...Blackfoot? Am I the only "Southern Rock" fan? :p

But I have to say Long Cool Woman still gives me the shivers...it's one of those songs that just .......hits ya! Oh...and makes you want to drive too fast too. :7

unorthodoxneon

Expert Expediter
I like everyone collection of music so far. Mines is the most complicated out of anyones (trust me on this) I listen to anything from about the 40s to today. From Rap to rock to country to jazz to classical (bach not bachman turner overdrive lol) and much much more.

But to pick some greatest rock songs while driving?

AC/DC - Highway to Hell :+
Judas Priest - Freewheel Burning
" " - Turbo Lover
" " - Night Crawler (this song inspired my CB handle)

Any version of - Six Days on The Road (yea its country so what)
Jerry Reed - Eastbound and Down (got a long way to go and a short time to get there.... isnt that the expediters motto?)

I really like the Gordon Lightfoot - Wreck of the Edmund Fitz. I visit the MI upper peninsula every year durring the summer and that lake scares the crap out of me. I've been in oceans before and never been scared and they have gators, sharks and now the dreaded stingrays (but hey i wanted to play with the dolphins.

Also mind you i'm only 21 so most of the music i listen to was before my parents time and definatly before my time.

Ok sorry for boring you... I'll let you continue with your regular schedualed program.

iheartfaye

Expert Expediter
Jessica - The Allman Brothers

Why? Is there any other song that makes that drive down the highway more enjoyable....plus I actually know all the words!

Packmule

Expert Expediter
Cheri,

I just caught my mizspelin!!! I'm sure Greg Allman is wondering who I was talking about. Ha! Guess I'll be tied to the Whippin Post for that one!!!

Danny

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
How about some Good Vibrations? This thread has to have a shout out for the Beach Boys. Brian Wilson may be certifiable, but that's not unheard of for gifted people. None other than Sir Paul sang the praises of Pet Sounds.