Great Lakes

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
Just curious if any EO'ers boat in any of the Great Lakes if so, where?

What size boat? Fishing or pleasure?

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

Yepper!! Lake Erie, near Monroe. I have a 16ft with a 60HP engine. It is a bit small and I have to pick my days. Lake Erie LOVES to eat boats!

I use the boat for hunting and fishing. That IS pleasure boating for me! :D

BeecherKen

Active Expediter

I had a 18' trihull with a 125 hp ob Merc that I took to lake huron, saginaw bay. Fishing. Big cats in that bay.

Last edited:

LisaLouHoo

Expert Expediter
This is from my facebook where the conversation started about the Titanic disaster 100th anniversary and ended up about the Great Lakes (don't ask):

"You can't trust a Great Lake. None of them"

Sent from my ADR6300 using EO Forums

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
I have to pick my days. Lake Erie LOVES to eat boats!

I use the boat for hunting and fishing. That IS pleasure boating for me! :D

You know I don't hid the fact about the Big Open water and how I feel bout it.
To me anyone regardless of the size of boat, one needs top pick the right day..Otherwise they are nothing but A SHIP of FOOLS..;)
I go out there but once I can no longer walk back in,, I ain't liking it to much.

Lawrence, Before ya go and buy the nice cabin cruiser you maybe thinking about there are plenty of charters to pick from.:)

LisaLouHoo

Expert Expediter
Charter is a good idea...unless one enjoys the maintenance of a boat. The Ski Supreme, before that the Rinkerbuilt, before that the Imperial...the list is endless and so are their maintenance schedules. Of course we are in a climate where the darn things have to be winterized and stored. That's a pain in the bahookus. As for going on a Great Lake, none of these have and the Ski Supreme won't. All 18' or less and shallow hulls (made for skiing, wakeboarding). The waters are too rough for us to risk.

Back in the day when I used to fish, my late husband and I would occasionally rent boats from the Caseville, MI area on Saginaw Bay.

Sent from my ADR6300 using EO Forums

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
The Great Lakes are WONDERFUL places to play on or in. There is fantastic fishing, hunting, sights seeing and all kinds of other good things to do. They are no different that driving a car, safer even, fewer idiots out there to hit you. All it takes is a little common sense, a decent set of charts, and a little learning.

I have been playing on the Detroit River and Lake Erie for more than 50 years, ain't dead yet and is likely won't be the Lake that gets me.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
I'm going to buy a boat this summer and fishing in Lake Ontario is on the list, most likely a 23 ft.

Sent from my ADR6400L using EO Forums

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I'm going to buy a boat this summer and fishing in Lake Ontario is on the list, most likely a 23 ft.

Glass or aluminum? 23' is a good size if it is not TOO heavy and drinks a lot of fuel. Too light and it bounces all over the place. Where on Ontario?

paullud

Veteran Expediter
Glass or aluminum? 23' is a good size if it is not TOO heavy and drinks a lot of fuel. Too light and it bounces all over the place. Where on Ontario?

I have been looking at open bow fiberglass. Near Oswego.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I have been looking at open bow fiberglass. Near Oswego.

Right were the River comes out into the Lake? I used to guide on that River. I tried fishing outside the harbor entrance one day, but the remenates of a hurricane came through and I came back in.

Which boat? ( I LOVE talking about boats! Fishing! Hunting!)

paullud

Veteran Expediter
Right were the River comes out into the Lake? I used to guide on that River. I tried fishing outside the harbor entrance one day, but the remenates of a hurricane came through and I came back in.

Which boat? ( I LOVE talking about boats! Fishing! Hunting!)

I go fishing right where 104 goes over the top of the Oswego River, I usually go a few times a year.

I like Bayliner but I'm not dead set on anything right now. I keep looking around but it seems a lot of the open bow boats are around 17 feet. I want to get something around 23 feet so I can be in a little rougher water and be a little more stable.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I go fishing right where 104 goes over the top of the Oswego River, I usually go a few times a year.

I like Bayliner but I'm not dead set on anything right now. I keep looking around but it seems a lot of the open bow boats are around 17 feet. I want to get something around 23 feet so I can be in a little rougher water and be a little more stable.

I know that area.

My favorites in that class boat.

Pro-Line Boats - 23 Sport

Grady-White Boats : Fisherman 230 - 23' Center Console