GPS Led You Astray?

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Has your GPS ever gone berzerk? Mine has... MS streets and trips told me to proceed into the Mississippi River. Would have ruined my entire day.

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
Occasionally my Garmin will send me on a road trip when it is clearly easier to stay on the road I was on.

bluejaybee

Veteran Expediter
Yep, mine tried to send me into a sandy, saw grass field in Florida. I was smarter than it though. I only drove 300 feet into the sand before I knew it was wrong! hehehehe!

But the best one was on I55 N to Chicago. It had me exit and get right back on. It tried to do it everytime, so it had to be programmed that way.

Last edited:

FIS53

Veteran Expediter
Mine hasn't led me quite that astray yet. Although it does at times choose some strange routing. I laughed at a dynamex driver who followed his gps routing exactly to do a route he was on as the extra miles it routed just wasted time and fuel. Seems some people will follow their techno devices rather than use the old gray matter and a detailed map.
Rob

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
I just read an article about a GPS incident.Lady was following GPS directions in a snow storm,the road veered to the right,but GPS said go straight,so as she was now on a snowmobile path,wasn't long 'til she was stuck.Guess they were hours getting her to safety.What I find with the GPS,my partner has Garmin,you find yourself listening to it rather than useing your own knowledge

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I learned early on not to blindly trust technology: sitting at a red light in Laredo, watching in amazement as the little car icon went nuts - straight for the river at 190 mph, lol. :eek: (That was MS Streets & Trips, BTW, but the Garmin gets wonky in Laredo, too. :confused:)

theoldprof

Veteran Expediter
A couple times my older Garmin led me to the off ramp and back onto the on ramp and back to the interstate. That would be the actual "shortest route", rather than following the road as it made a wide arc. Nuther time I was in a big city somewhere and it routed me off the road, to an on ramp, off ramp, on ramp, etc. I was thinking the cops really had it in big time for red Toyota pickumups until I realized I was passing the same spot about three times. I ignored Ms Garmin and continued down the road and got back on track. Weird!!

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
That cracks me up when it happens. Cracks me up even more when I fall for it. In Mobile, AL it'll take you off the Interstate, exit and turn right, then go around the block and come right back to where you were, and then get right back onto the Interstate in the same direction you were going. It's like a one square block sightseeing tour thrown in there for no reason. Too funny.

miker

Seasoned Expediter
I was delivering into Brooklyn on Thursday and mine kept leading me into the tunnels instead of on the bridges even though I have it set on truck route, oh yeah,and it was my first time in there, oh what fun it was.

MentalGiant

Seasoned Expediter
We had ours trying to direct us south on a highway, which I thought was funny, since we needed to go north, about 1 mile south it would of had us get off the highway onto the service road, turn back north on the service road back to the highway where we would of started to head north in the first place.

Another was on a toll road in chicago, IL it was asking us to exit at service plaza, drive through the employee parking to a side walk that went down hill to a regular road.

inkasnana

Expert Expediter
Every now and then ours tells us to turn off of a bridge onto the road below. It also goes crazy when we end up on a "new" road that isn't mapped yet, like the new section of I-40 in NC that goes around the cities. (Can't remember exactly where it is at this time.)

susie q 52

Seasoned Expediter
there is a ferry certain times of the year across Lake Michigan but do you want to pay the toll? For all it's little quirks I'M GLAD to have a gps.

Tempest

Seasoned Expediter
Leave Youngstown, OH gonig to Long Island and tell the garmin to avoid tolls. It only takes about 30 miles extra driving to get there with minimum toll bridges but the garmin will route you over 2000 miles back to michigan, across canada down through maine and down though white plains. (tell it to go to Orange, NY first and it guides you right lol) Gotta love them gps units. You have to use a little common sense to go with the technology. As they say "to err is human, to total screw things up you need a computer"

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
all the maps and directions come from one company. all you are buying is the interface.

couple weeks back i was delivering to a place on the canadien side of lake st clair. made the mistake of asking for the shortest route. fog was setting in and it was dense. with fog lights on and piercing nothing the gps took me on a tour, blindly, of all the hard packed roads within 15 miles of the dest. in the morning i looked at the truck and it was brown from tire bottom to below the windows. the rear doors were so dark the logo didn't show thru.

theoldprof

Veteran Expediter
I was somewhere in the boonies at night. Kept seeing a lot of traffic about half mile off to my left. Come to find out I was was running parallel to and interstate. I was on some two lane cow path. Found an intersection with a four way stop and figured this must be a main road. Turned left and it led me right to an on ramp. Gotta love my Garmin.

DougTravels

Not a Member
I got a new Tom Tom for christmas, not to many quirks yet. My streets 07 has quite a few. Going west to Hesston, Kansas had it set to closest (big mistake) it took me on a dirt road that kept getting narrower and narrower till it was a 2 track (yeah grass growing in the middle) between farmers fields. It also was trying to get me on turnpike from employee parking area in Indiana near MI, OH, IN Tee. Somewhere on I-96 east of Lansing, it wants you to use the official vehicle only turnaround. On I-95 into Ct from NY it does that get off the xway go right turn around and come back and get back on.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I have a map of the United States. Actual size.
It says, "Scale: 1 mile = 1 mile."
I spent last summer folding it.
People ask me where I live, and I say, "E6".

Steven Wright just kills me.

Some friends of mine got me a sweater for my birthday. I'd have preferred a moaner or a screamer, but the sweater was OK.

DougTravels

Not a Member
Here is a few more of Steven's Gems:
I have two very rare photographs.
One is a picture of Houdini locking his keys in his car.
The other is a rare photograph of Norman Rockwell beating up a child.
-- Steven Wright

I stayed up all night playing poker with tarot cards.
I got a full house and four people died.
-- Steven Wright

I used to work in a fire hydrant factory.
You couldn't park anywhere near the place.
-- Steven Wright