GPS Laws

tenntrucker

Expert Expediter
I was told today that Michigan has passed a law again having a GPS mounted to the windshield. Is there any truth to this? And is there any such law in any other state like this?

Sent from my DROID X2 using EO Forums

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Not sure if it's just that or anything. I think some states have laws against anything at all including gps, sat radio, etc. etc.. I'm not sure what all states though.

jansiemoo

Seasoned Expediter
I recall FedEx telling us something like: nothing attached to the windshield more than 2" from any edge (maybe just top?) and nothing within the area that your wipers clear. I recall IN and IL ticketing friends of mine for having CDs or other crap hanging from rearview mirrors for "visual obstructions". I imagine it's a pretty standard law.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Currently there are only 2 states (as far as I know) which prohibit sticking GPS and other stuff on the windshield - California and Minnesota.

California law (effective January 1, 2009) permits it, but only in a 7" x 7" corner of the lower right or the 5" x 5" corner of the lower left portion of the windshield. You can have a stem (goose-neck or otherwise) as long as you want it to be, though.

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d12/vc26708.htm
(12) A portable Global Positioning System (GPS), which may be mounted in a seven-inch square in the lower corner of the windshield farthest removed from the driver or in a five-inch square in the lower corner of the windshield nearest to the driver and outside of an airbag deployment zone, if the system is used only for door-to-door navigation while the motor vehicle is being operated.

Minnesota prohibits stuff being stuck to the windshield (cops exempted, of course), or even suspended in any way between the windshield and the driver, regardless of where it's anchored. However, it does allow for a GPS to be mounted to the "bottommost portion" of the windshield.

https://www.revisor.mn.gov/statutes/?id=169.71&format=pdf
169.71 WINDSHIELD.
Subdivision 1. Prohibitions generally; exceptions. (a) A person shall not drive or operate any motor vehicle with:
(1) a windshield cracked or discolored to an extent to limit or obstruct proper vision;
(2) any objects suspended between the driver and the windshield, other than:
(i) sun visors;
(ii) rearview mirrors;
(iii) driver feedback and safety-monitoring equipment when mounted immediately behind,
slightly above, or slightly below the rearview mirror;
(iv) global positioning systems or navigation systems when mounted or located near the bottommost portion of the windshield; and
(v) electronic toll collection devices; or

If Michigan has recently passed a law regarding GPS units, they've kept is very quiet, so quiet that it's not even to be found in the state laws of vehicle code. However, they already have a law that can, of the cop so chooses, apply to GPS units (Michigan has a lot of those "if the cop so chooses" laws).

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(kkauo445uodnmqrymp2n0yz4))/mileg.aspx?page=getobject&objectname=mcl-257-709
(c) An object that obstructs the vision of the driver of the vehicle, except as authorized by law.

(1) A person shall not operate a motor vehicle with any of the following:

(c) An object that obstructs the vision of the driver of the vehicle, except as authorized by law.

The "if the cop so chooses" part is the determination of whether or not the object "obstructs the vision of the driver". But there are plenty of states which have similarly worded statues, including New Jersey, which prohibits driving a vehicle, "with any sign, poster, sticker or other non-transparent material upon the front windshield, wings, deflectors, side shields, corner lights adjoining windshield or front side windows of such vehicle other than a certificate or other article required to be so displayed by statute or by regulations of the commissioner."

Section 21-1104 of the Maryland Code prohibits driving a vehicle "with any sign, poster, card, sticker, or other nontransparent material on the windshield, side wings, or side or rear windows of the vehicle." Part (2)(i) of this section permits attaching an object within a seven-inch square at the bottom of the windshield.

westmicher

Veteran Expediter
I was told by a Michigan State Police officer that the law "is nothing can obstruct the view through the area of the windshield that is swept by the windshield wipers", which makes sense to me.

LisaLouHoo

Expert Expediter
I have always heard the obstruction explanation too, yet no police officer ever made a remark about the crystal hanging from my mirror nor the fuzzy dice in the other vehicle; and according to the explanation of the law, they could have. Maybe they were in good moods.

Sent from my ADR6300 using EO Forums

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
When we had a stand alone GPS we put it up high, on the drivers side 'wing' window. Out of the windshield altogether. It do not block view of mirrors either. It did not block any view out of the windshield at all. When we were using two GPS the other went on the passenger side wing window, but low. Again, it blocked no usable views.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
I was told by a Michigan State Police officer that the law "is nothing can obstruct the view through the area of the windshield that is swept by the windshield wipers", which makes sense to me.

Except in cases like with a TT or ST where you can mount the GPS in the sweep of the wipers but the GPS doesn't actually block anything but my view of the hood, then it makes no sense. The main reason for obstruction of view laws are to give the cops one more reason to pull you over, there might be a few idiots out there that go overboard with hanging things from the mirror but not enough to make a law.

Sent from my ADR6400L using EO Forums

LisaLouHoo

Expert Expediter
So I guess the custom windshield graphic I had planned for the Sprinter is out...no "Rollin' Thunder" after all :(

cableguymn

Seasoned Expediter
So I guess the custom windshield graphic I had planned for the Sprinter is out...no "Rollin' Thunder" after all :(

Find the asi line on the side of you windshield. Above that can be tinted or lettered.

This of course is subject to state laws for your registered state. (ie where you plates say u are from )

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

greg334

Veteran Expediter
We always had an obstructed view law, the cops in some places would ticket you for things hanging off the mirror. Nothing has changed.