GPS for trucks...

deadice

Seasoned Expediter
What GPS unit gives you directions that AVOID restricted routes for trucks?
My TomTom that I have sent me down this main road today (4 lanes) but after I went through a intersection then they post a sign saying no trucks allowed down this road...

What GPS offers these features? :confused:

ThibodeauxBayou

Not a Member
CoPilot GPS: ALK Technologies

CoPilot GPS: ALK Technologies

CoPilot Truck, the first GPS Navigation system specifically designed for company drivers, owner operators and leased operators is the only way to receive spoken industry standard PC*MILER directions in the cab.

PC*MILER Routing: Practical, Shortest, 53'/102'' Trailer, HazMat, National Network and Toll Avoidance

13' 6" height, 48' length, 80,000 pound weight and 96" width restrictions

Loud spoken Dock-to-Dock directions throughout the U.S. & Canada

Easily avoids and favors roads and locations

Finds best sequence for up to 50 stops

Miss a turn? With fast automatic route recalculation, you will never be lost.

Truck stops, rest areas, weigh stations plus 6 Million additional Points of Interest with phone numbers

Easy-to-see Driver Safety Screen; Flexible and Clear 2D and 3D map views

deadice

Seasoned Expediter
Do you use this when you drive? Do they come in a stand-alone model like a car gps (from the links I could only see one for laptops and for pocket pc's)

ThibodeauxBayou

Not a Member
Personally, I think you've already got the best GPS brand. Id never use anything else.

I don't think ALK offers a all-n-one like the TomTom. From experience years ago, their maps are not the best and really wasn't all that fond of the product. At the time, I was using their laptop version.

Possibly, get yourself a used PDA [Dell Axim X51V] off of e-bay and then you'd be set for using their PPC version.

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
How bout a 39 dollah truckers road atlas. Can't plug it in, but you can flip da pages.
Try it it's kinda fun.

deadice

Seasoned Expediter
What do you do with a lot of these small streets that aren't labeled as restricted routes in the Atlas? The Atlas is good for interstate roads, but once you get into town a lot of roads will have signs posted saying no trucks allowed, but you can only see the sign once you've already gone through the intersection...

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
We use a GPS program (Delorme) AND at Trucker's Atlas. Cross-referencing is cool!!! (as opposed to cross-dressing) layoutshooter

butterfly610

Veteran Expediter
Usually between the Gps, the map, and the company directions...we always make it...lol.
I like having the Gps because when night driving or driving through thick fog, it just helps with anticipating the curves and what direction the road goes. I like it. I do wish that Teletype wasn't supposed to be bad, because it looked neat how you could enter your truck weight and length and all.

XCountryTeam

Seasoned Expediter
We also use all three the GPS, the map, and the company directions...we use the GPS and Co. directions as a guide and then always refer to the map and we make it to...lol.
I also like having the GPS because it does help for the curves ahead and I like the fact that it gives me heads up that my exit it a mile or so down the road and that it is a left or right exit.. Sure does cut down on the missed exits and turn arounds.

Badmunky

Seasoned Expediter
I have both version 9 and version 11 of Copilot for ALK and I have to say that its not perfect but its better then any thing els I found.

9 runs with no problems and is easy to use. Down side is the maps are not up to date.

11 has much better maps and can find most places. down side is its buggy and tends to crash a lot on both of my lap tops.
It has refused to run at all on my new one. I have to call tec support and find out why.
The last time I talked to them they said they would have a patch file out by now that should fix all the problems with this version and add some new stuff to it that drivers had asked for.

Ill be calling them tuesday or wendsday to find out if the patch file is out yet and whats going on with my new computer.

Later.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
I agree that CoPilot is not perfect but it is the best thing out there for trucks. Still, you cannot rely on it 100% to keep you out of truck-route trouble. It will show a lot of streets being legal for trucks, and it is telling the truth, IF you are making a local delivery.

Rules differ city to city. A good resource for New York City is this free New York City Truck Route Map. It applies to New York City only, but studying it and reading the text will give you a general sense about through truck-routes, local truck-routes, and local streets.

The front pages of the Rand McNally Motor Carriers' Road Atlas provides information about the national network and state access policies. Knowing that information enhances one's general understanding of truck routes.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
On it's best day Copilot earns maybe a 4. You can put in a street address that has existed for 30 years and it will be clueless and lost. It will offer cross streets that are blocks away as an alternative. It's better than nothing but there map quality sucks in many cases.

pelicn

Veteran Expediter
Streets and Trips along with the Motor Carriers Atlas and we've done just fine :)

Oh...wait, the NYC maps as well. Thanks to Ateam's link a while back, we have those now too

late4dinner

Seasoned Expediter
I have the copilot 11 by ALK and it has not caused my laptop to crash. The only problem I have had was when I tried to install it into a new laptop that had Windows Vista. I called ALK and they had me up and running within a few minutes.
I really think it's funny when I get off an exit to go to a truck stop and a large window pops up telling me I'm on a truck restricted route.

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
Using different Tech. with an Atlas makes one a whole lot less Nervious while venturing around Boston.

I have three Pick ups tommorow Leonminster, Woburn, and Franklin. GPS on dash all programed in, looked up directions on Streets and maps, all three right off X-way with only 2 turns, and right off a Truck Route except Leonminster and did not see any bridges or RR tracks I had to cross or cross under low bridge. Hopefully it will go smooth.

Giving myself an hour and 45 minutes to get to Franklin I am about 60 miles away. Loads are in opposite of how I stated.