GPS and radio interference.

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I've recently had a bout of interference issues with my GPS unit, a TomTom. I found that if I place it on top of the doghouse, the FM radio will mess it up royally. No doubt about it. I listen to 94.3 regularly here in the Chicago area, and that causes the GPS to lose the signal and/or to drift all over the place-- it's been as much as five miles out from where it really is. Turning off the radio causes the GPS to get it's bearings again and it works without fault as long as the radio is off, or on an AM station.

If I place the GPS on the dash, then the radio doesn't affect it. Problem: Because of the way the dash is shaped, part of the screen is hidden from view unless you really strain to see it.

Before I forget: I drive a '98 Chevy 2500 van, and there is room on top of the ashtray (mounted on the doghouse, and I never use the ashtray) to place the GPS. The radio is the standard AM/FM Delco radio that came from the factory.

indysmoke

Seasoned Expediter
I had the same problem yesterday going though Chicago with my GPS which is connected to my laptop with the Streets and Maps program. I was listening to 99.5 up there.

I drive a 2011 Ford E350 with the GPS on the dash.

Sent from my DROID4 using EO Forums

pearlpro

Expert Expediter
maybe its a local only problem, could be some sort of interference generated from a outside source...most radios these days are inside a metal cage which limits interference, but you could try a small piece of tinfoil....not on your head...but between the radio and dash...

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Weird if it's outside, and it can be controlled by turning on or off the radio. I had a suspicion that TomTom just doesn't like Christian music, but that idea doesn't really work either.

Present theory: When the GPS is sitting on the doghouse, it's lower than line-of-sight to the sky. It might not take much to interfere with it there. On the dash, it has direct line-of-sight and it isn't affected there by the radio. Also, it's possible my GPS is on its way out, and replacement might not be that far in the future.

I note that in my case, this is intensely position sensitive. Mounting the unit on the doghouse puts it close to the front of the radio, and that might not be shielded as much. On top of the dash, you do have the shielding that comes from the radio's case as well as a couple of more inches of distance-- not much, but it might be that an inch or so makes the difference.

Last edited: