Got my paws on the Ford Transit

in-Transit

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
So to be blatant I'll open with the end decision on my part: Sprinter better step it up!

Now the real deal! Also all units had 2000lbs in them!

Cons first ; it's only 3 inches longer then a non extended sprinter so yes to 3 pallets but no to floor level sleeper.

The Diesel engine had a VERY slight delay when mashed to the floor and it's noticeable as I drove my sprinter to the expo just to compare them directly .

The brakes though firm are a bit less grabby early in the pedal application in comparison not a deal breaker but it would take some getting used too!

Pros-

Power power power ! Wow the 3.5 ecoboost engine was fantastic! Runs on regular unleaded (not premium as rumors thought ) though was stated it gets to be a thirsty motor as boost increases due to load demand.

The 3.2 power stroke diesel was quiet and was very zippy compared to my worn out NCV3.

Interior is well oriented and has REAL CUPHOLDERS! Did I mention that loud enough :) The gauges where easy to read and understand as was the voice command radio that got all my commands right until I asked it to play Vivaldi off my phone . Rear climate control for the rear on cargo vans is avail but the unit jutted into the rear door opening and I'm confident a forklift driver will end up tearing it out without boxing it somehow!

Handling was great it was easy to get into and out of in my opinion less climbing and the seats are wider for my fat butt :) after driving both one of the reps applauded my insane slalom speed and one even mentioned he thought I was going to roll the van over !! I was the only non corporate guy there so I wanted to know how it would do as my pockets aren't as deep as any of theirs! I asked all kinds of questions and took lots of notes so fire away!
yvymyvat.jpg
mu8ebyzy.jpg

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have liked what I've heard about the transit, out of curiosity what year sprinter are you used to?

Sent from my Fisher Price - ABC123

beachbum

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Did you ask about the short wheel base on the extended as someone in another post asked.

guido4475

Not a Member
Ford has always had the short wheelbases on the E series van so no change there.

A setup to get used to for sure, but it works. Just teeter-toter the freight. Ever notice some of the huge overhangs on some of the motorhome chassis? .pretty long in some cases.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using EO Forums mobile app

xmudman

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
With three skids, where should the heaviest one go? My van takes two, so the heavier one goes over the wheels. Otherwise, the van would sway its booty like a pole dancer :p

Sent from my XT1028 using EO Forums mobile app

guido4475

Not a Member
With three skids, where should the heaviest one go? My van takes two, so the heavier one goes over the wheels. Otherwise, the van would sway its booty like a pole dancer :p

In that situation, I put the heaviest in the nose. Than the light one over the axle and the heavier one over the axle. Works tor me.

xmudman

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
In that situation, I put the heaviest in the nose. Than the light one over the axle and the heavier one over the axle. Works tor me.

I'm a bit confused here. :confused:

Logic tells me to put the lightest one in the back, that is, loaded last. My question was really, should the heaviest one go over the axle, or forward most so that its weight is shared by both axles. Forward most seems to make the most sense.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Your scale ticket will tell you the weight on both axles prior to loading. Your door tag or manual should tell the axle ratings. Then it's arithmetic to see in theory how much each axle can carry. Then it's a matter of just how much each of the 3 pieces weigh and a little more arithmetic to figure out which order to load them. The only thing pretty much absolute is put the lightest of the 3 on last.

xmudman

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
OK. Scale ticket: Door tag:
Steer: 3240. 3550.
Drive: 2980. 5520.
Sum: 6220 GVW 8900

Spare (80 lbs) is right behind passenger seat. Looks like I should hang it underneath like the Lord and Henry Ford meant it to be. That means buying the mount for $200 plus, because Penske bought the van without it.

Any suggestions about loading?

billg27

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Got this info from my Ford dealer today. And he's willing to go $300 below invoice before taking off the Ford incentives. Their getting cheaper already! Together this is $2,550 below dealer invoice now. Must not be moving like they had hoped!

"There is a $1500 rebate right now on the Transit and also there is up to a $750 up-fitter rebate as well!"

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Got this info from my Ford dealer today. And he's willing to go $300 below invoice before taking off the Ford incentives. Their getting cheaper already! Together this is $2,550 below dealer invoice now. Must not be moving like they had hoped!

"There is a $1500 rebate right now on the Transit and also there is up to a $750 up-fitter rebate as well!"
Competition is a good thing.

guido4475

Not a Member
I'm a bit confused here. :confused:

Logic tells me to put the lightest one in the back, that is, loaded last. My question was really, should the heaviest one go over the axle, or forward most so that its weight is shared by both axles. Forward most seems to make the most sense.

As odd as it does sound, that's what works best for my van and Me.

guido4475

Not a Member
I was in a suburb of Chicago earlier today picking up and there were 3 long and tall Transits at the Ford dealer there. All white, mind you....lol....but, here in Taylor, there is a place with a new Transit, long and tall as well, in their parking lot, in Gold color. Looks good....

billg27

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
So now that every Ford dealer has a couple sitting on their lots, has anyone ever seen one on the road? Being driven by anyone? Thought they had huge fleet orders, still haven't seen one yet being driven by a consumer.

ysracer

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
So now that every Ford dealer has a couple sitting on their lots, has anyone ever seen one on the road? Being driven by anyone? Thought they had huge fleet orders, still haven't seen one yet being driven by a consumer.

I saw one, in Pittsburgh, two days ago. That's it, no others yet. Was the same with the Promaster, took a while until the numbers were sufficient to start seeing them regularly.