Good place to move to, as an expediter

xmudman

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I don't want to go into details, but unfortunately my wife and I may have to, shall we say, change residence. As an expediter, are there states that are especially advantageous to relocate to? I love PA, and may simply move to the cheaper western side of the state, but I have also considered moving south. What I need to know is, how much does it cost to:
1. Register an 8900 gvw van ($153 in PA)
2. Get set up in business (establish LLC or corporation, get PUC authority, etc)(approx $200 in PA)
3. Does your state impose property tax on vehicles, like Virginia does? (PA does not)

and more generally

4. What are rents like for a two-bedroom house or apartment in your area?
5. What does heat & electricity cost in your area?

I must point out a couple things before I finish: First, my marriage is not in danger; second, the problem is financial but long predates my career in expediting, so don't just blithely tell me to get off the road; and please: I'm hurting here, so no smartaleck comments, okay?

What I need to know the most is, what areas are particularly good to live in for an expediter, and also which ones should I avoid?
I know some states don't fit my political views (sorry, Illinois), some may be too expensive, and some have both problems (NY? NJ? Fuggedaboutit!).
FWIW, my wife could find work just about anywhere, just not for a potful of money.

Thanks for your help, fellow forumers:)

Last edited:

usafk9

Veteran Expediter
Sorry for your pain. Been there, done that. The nice thing is that broke is temporary. Your marriage not being rocky is a great thing. I'm not real big on spouting bible verses, but there is a great passage in Proverbs 31 about the value of your wife. I have put mine through the trenches and we analyzed our mistakes together afterwards. That has made our marriage very strong. I know you didn't ask, but I'm asking you to......dote on your bride and tell her what she means to you every day. I'd bet she's feeling as much pain or more.

That said, i think a lot depends on your carrier and operation. I've always looked at Texas as plan B. Real decent cost of living, no income tax, and in some places, genuinely friendly folks. Plus, i could move to Pearland and negate all of Leo's votes.

I like PA also, but if I ever move, it will be where I don't have to bring the snowblower with. PA's taxes are high, and the bang isn't there for the buck I'd have to pay to live there.

Tennessee might be an inexpensive option, as well.

Sunny skies are ahead, but only if you plan for them to be......and then work your plan.

Good luck. Hope I've helped.

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
Sw Michigan..best place in the USA to live being in the expediting industry..especially if you like to get home often..50/50 from Chicago/ Detroit

Sent from my DROID RAZR using EO Forums mobile app

paullud

Veteran Expediter
Would it be possible to bring your wife with you to avoid paying rent, at least for a few months? I would think TN might be a good option since they have auto manufacturers there, weather is reasonable, plus the other benefits already mentioned.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using EO Forums mobile app

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
For everyone there is a different answer. ...Close to freight area. .I like the Fremont , In. area. ...close to 3 state corners for possible load calls ...some woods and small lake in area for R & R. ...BUT negative side for me ...its too close to my work. ..even when OOS they could call you and ask to help them cover a load. ....When I go home I want to be home mentally also ...not worrying about a load call when spending time with family.... thats why I like my place in Iowa. ...I 'm not in freight central ...but yet only 300 miles from Chicago.....so easy DH.....Snow doesn t bother ME. ....heat does. ....south of I - 70 sucks......lol

Sent from my SGH-T959 using EO Forums mobile app

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
A good place to live does vary with your carrier if you want to get home a decent amount of time. Tn east of knoxville would get my vote in my instance. You do not always need to live in the state of your llc. In another business mine was from nv even though I was in Indiana. You can shop pricing for it. You probably don't even need one at all unless you have a pretty good income their isn't many benifets.

Sent from my Fisher Price ABC-123.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I don't know the answers to your specific questions but would agree with looking at areas as potential sources of load opportunities. You mentioned getting your own authority so that may mean you don't have a specific carrier like FX, L1, X1, P2 etc. to cater to. If I misunderstood, then taking carrier loading opportunities into consideration is also important. Looking at cost of living is important and also quality of living.

As far as loading is concerned, OH and MI may offer some advantages. TN around Knoxville is a very nice part of the country and I believe no state income tax. Texas is mostly great but not the best as far as expediting is concerned. Good luck.

Mailer

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Would it be possible to bring your wife with you to avoid paying rent, at least for a few months? I would think TN might be a good option since they have auto manufacturers there, weather is reasonable, plus the other benefits already mentioned.

I like paullud's idea.
Moving to the new city can be very costly, stressful, and physically taxing.

You both should be physically checking out the new city. You want to be able to feel the "vibes" and feel comfortable with the new surroundings. After all, it's a home sweet home.

Just like paullud has mentioned, taking your wife along with you to check out various locations first make great sense.

Moving into a distant city is a major life's event. It requires research, planning and lot of discussions between you both. You really want to take your time on this.

You also want to consider the areas that have better job opportunities. Just in case you want to switch the career.

Below is the link to the top 25 cities for retirements. It has good info and might be useful in your decision makings. Good luck to both of you.

Time for a move? - In Photos: The 25 Best Places To Retire In 2013 - Forbes

BillChaffey

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
Land is nice in the Ozarks. Similar to the Poconos. $600 a acre and up. I would probably stay away from Alaska & Hawaii.:p

xmudman

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Thanks for the replies so far, I really appreciate them! Not even close to a decision, but I like some of the ideas. Waiting for Turtle to defend Kentucky; I kinda like the place, although gas is hella cheaper in Tennessee :)

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
If I ever left Florida it would be for TN.

Sent from my EVO using EO Forums mobile app

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
If I ever left Ohio I think if aim for the hills between Nash/Knox/Chatt. Or somewhere around there. Not too far from civilization but I like the general vicinity.

gunnerwife

Rookie Expediter
You may not pay state income tax in TN, but you do pay outrageous sales tax on everything including food.

spongebox1

Expert Expediter
Indianapolis or southern ky would get my vote, I personally reside in Indy and it seems to be a great crossroads for expediting , lots of work for your wife, cheap and safe living conditions and plenty of great outdoors stuff if you stay south of the city!

Sent from my VS910 4G using EO Forums mobile app

zorry

Veteran Expediter
I live north of Spongebox, closer to Chicago.
Easy ride down 65 to Indy, easy trip into Mich. Of course, lots of freight out of Chicago. And not too far from Cat country.

If you plan on getting authority and bidding low, I highly recommend Miami, Fl. Or Laredo, south.