Good Co-driver for O/O contract?

Phoenix4774

Seasoned Expediter
Hi, I've been searching the forums to no avail so far on the following issue:

I would be hiring on as a co-driver of the O/O in a straight truck and am wondering what would be a fair contract?

I wouldn't be paying fuel, so would it be 20% of loads, what about fsc and the other stuff? Thanks.

denny2010

Expert Expediter
Depending on owner. 20% of load minus fsc and tolls. Are you looking to be co driver if so. Where do you live?

Phoenix4774

Seasoned Expediter
Thanks Denny,

I'm in the process of being hired on with someone who is the o/o and other driver. What is the deal with the fsc, do I want to make sure that my 20% comes from the load total before the fsc is deducted or something? Someone was saying this may make a difference.

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
There would be a dollar figure for the linehaul and a figure for the fuel surcharge. Your cut would come from the linehaul. The only concern I can see would be that the owner may play with the numbers in a way not favorable to you.

denny2010

Expert Expediter
The way I do it is..u get 20% of load.after fsc and tolls are taken off the load total. For example the load paid 1000 fsc and tolls were 250. U get 20% of 750. Check about drivers insurance that's another fee for u. Myself I would pay that. I see a codriver is just that a driver who can handle that responsible. Hope all works out for u any questions ask away...

Phoenix4774

Seasoned Expediter
Hmm, it doesn't seem fair to to subtract the fsc from the linehaul and give me 20% of that total, rather than 20% of the original linehaul amount. Am I missing something here?

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Hmm, it doesn't seem fair to to subtract the fsc from the linehaul and give me 20% of that total, rather than 20% of the original linehaul amount. Am I missing something here?

Read what I posted again. They're 2 different amounts. The person paying for the fuel is entitled to the FSC.

Phoenix4774

Seasoned Expediter
Not trying to beat a dead horse here, just want to understand what would be fair and how it's usually done. Using the example above:

20% of 1000 = $200. Linehaul.
20% of $750 = $150. Linehaul minus fsc and tolls.

Wouldn't it be most fair for the o/o co-driver to take his $250 but still figure my 20% from the $1000 original line haul total? That's what I'm asking.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Not trying to beat a dead horse here, just want to understand what would be fair and how it's usually done. Using the example above:

20% of 1000 = $200. Linehaul.
20% of $750 = $150. Linehaul minus fsc and tolls.

Wouldn't it be most fair for the o/o co-driver to take his $250 but still figure my 20% from the $1000 original line haul total? That's what I'm asking.

You need to forget about the fsc. Only the person paying the fuel is entitled to get that.

As far as being a co-driver, you only get paid for the freight hauled, nothing else.