going solo ???

zoso67

Seasoned Expediter
hi everyone !! i was part of a team team st truck for 6 m0nths got out of it for a health problem came up and mainly i had 3 co drivers in 6 months. im a easy going guy very laid back but some of these co drivers made my blood pressure go through the roof. thats why i got off the truck. but here is my question i recently purchased my own truck a 2004 freightliner columbia class 8 reefer st truck with a apu and liftgate.i wanted this truck equipped this way because im going to drive solo. my question is this will i be ableto make comfortable living driving solo ?? ccomfortable being 1500 to 2500 a week net . thanx

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Who are you leased with? Overall I think teams will always do better than solo's, at least in my opinion. They seldom have logging problems. We are a White Glove team. Miles per week means little to us. What counts is how much do we make. We often make more on shorter loads depending on what services the customer needs. Layoutshooter

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
A lot of solo owner/operators earn a decent living in a straight truck, but you are asking an impossible to answer question. Only you can determine the operating cost of your vehicle and your carrier is the best source of information on your gross earning prospects. We trust that you have gathered enough information as a team driver to help you determine your real after expenses revenue.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Not to rain on your parade, but for the benefit of any newbies reading this, this is a question to raise prior to buying a truck. That said, hopefully you have a pretty good idea of your operating cost using the OOIDA spreadsheet or something similar. If so, you can determine your approximate net per mile and then it's simple arithmetic to determine how many miles you need to meet your numbers. Once you know how many paid miles you need per week then determine if your carrier of choice can provide them. If your expenses aren't too high you probably have a chance of doing the $1500 weekly but I'd doubt $2500 weekly (basing that on 52 weeks per year at that average).

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
The dollar amount is that net or gross? Gross you better do more than that way more than that. As for Team vs Solo you already know those headaches if you cannot make a living doing this on your own that do not bother if others bug you. (they bug me) Only one way to do this in my opinion and thats solo if your spouse is not wanting to do this. I would prefere mine not join me but thats me I enjoy it while she does hers.

The liftgate for a Solo is a no no to much risk for injury with that liftgate you better get a accident insurance policy thru OOIDA or Kevin Rutherford and I am serious its an accident waiting to happen, money maker you bet inury vs income earned could come out to a negative. If the customer can't load it niether could I as a Solo Teams YEP I would add that equipment otherwise I would take it off and sell it.

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
its another do i do a mileage contract or percentage of load?.LQQks to me youve made the commitment,you bought a truck that is going to be very hard to maintain running solo.If your running a mileage contract,the hos is going to dictate how many miles your going to be able to run.If you run a percentage contract,you going to get paid more for running less.In expedite, most of our moves happen in the afternoon,and we drive all night.Do to hours of service,a solo could be out of his or her 14hrs before delivery,and there fore loads are going to be scarce for a solo,especially in a DR unit,i do hope it hs a tag axle for the extra weight,or this will also have a reflection on your loads.YOuve already stated you have lift gate.In this business we call expedite,if your going to run a D unit,you need to be able to haul anything and everything,but i dont agree with broom,you need to run team,the profits will be better for you.

08CareerOTR

Seasoned Expediter
Kishmir67, I agree with TerryandRene....Only you can judge the facts, you have to be happy with money you'll be making.....but remember you PAY!-( Fuel,maintences,oil changes,tires,insurances,tolls,food,equipments, and more....so it you that has to be the one to say-( I am Happy with this Job).......

Chris-( FreyFoxx Enterprises)
P.S. Am new at this,but this page and Forum is very informed to me I have learned alot from here, I plan to get Cube Van under 10,000 and do Expediting this way.....

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
The dollar amount is that net or gross? Gross you better do more than that way more than that. As for Team vs Solo you already know those headaches if you cannot make a living doing this on your own that do not bother if others bug you. (they bug me) Only one way to do this in my opinion and thats solo if your spouse is not wanting to do this. I would prefere mine not join me but thats me I enjoy it while she does hers.

The liftgate for a Solo is a no no to much risk for injury with that liftgate you better get a accident insurance policy thru OOIDA or Kevin Rutherford and I am serious its an accident waiting to happen, money maker you bet inury vs income earned could come out to a negative. If the customer can't load it niether could I as a Solo Teams YEP I would add that equipment otherwise I would take it off and sell it.
broom if hes with fdcc he already has accident policy,we all do

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Regarding solo D-unit drivers, there are some SUCCESSFUL ones running right now, so, of course a solo driver in a D-unit can make it. However, to do so, one would be wise to figure out what they are doing, and what mistakes they are avoiding, to succeed. The time to do that is before you commit to a truck.

Regarding solo operation of a liftgate, I would say that it can be done as safely as climbing in and out of a truck, if the liftgate is properly configured. Suggestions:

1. The bigger the platform, the better. The platform should be at least large enough to hold one skid and a pallet jack, with the pallet jack under the skid. That enables you to easily roll the skid onto and off the platform with the pallet jack.

2. Include cart stops on the gate (pop up devices that prevent the freight from rolling off the gate when the gate is at an angle).

3. A remote control with a wire long enough to reach all sides of the liftgate when freight is on the gate.

4. A truck box floor, frame and deck extension (if applicable) that provides a level or near-level path from the liftgate surface into the truck body (box). This so freight can be easily rolled from the lift gate into and back out of the truck.

5. Liftgate weight capacity that well exceeds the amount of freight you would ever put on the gate.

6. Keep the liftgate clean and well maintained.

7. Use a high-quality pallet jack with good wheels. Keep it clean and well maintained too. Note that pallet jacks come in a variety of configurations. Configure yours to meet your most frequent uses.

8. Don't try to move freight alone that is too heavy for you to safely handle. Personally, if the ground surface is reasonably smooth and level, a 2,000 lbs. skid is managable. Anything over that and I would look for help from the shipper to load the freight.

Our Leyman LHLP-4500 liftgate with the cart stops option and a custom made remote control (made by the trailer shop that installed the gate) does the job nicely for us. In our CR-unit, we seldom get skids that weigh over 2,000 lbs.

If you are new, a little practice with the pallet jack will have you looking like a pro in no time. If you get the chance, take an hour or two to move freight on, off, and around the inside of the truck. Practice 360 degree turns inside the truck. Practice positioning the freight just so, several times, to get the hang of it. Examine pallets to see how to best approach them with the pallet jack and position it under (pallet designs vary). If you do not practice, your pallet jack skills will come to you in time. Practice simply accelerates the process and helps you operate that much more safely.

With every liftgate load, it is wise to pause for a moment and think through what you are about to do. When shippers are standing right there watching you, it is tempting to get right to work and get out quickly. Taking 15 seconds to rehearse the job in your mind before you begin may make the difference between loading safely or getting injured.

Is your work surface wet or dry? How is the traffic around you? How heavy is the freight? Is it top-heavy? Is it evenly balanced? What kind of skid are you working with? Or, if the freight is on its own wheels, do you trust them, or do you need to put the freight on a trustworthy dolly or pallet jack? Is it best to use the remote control or pallet jack switch on the truck? Is the truck parked on level ground? If not, which way will the freight tend to roll? If the truck is parked on a hill, what will you do to keep the freight under control?

While lift gate loads present certain challenges, they only present safety risks if you proceed in an unsafe manner. Liftgates are not accidents waiting to happen. Accidents happen when people create conditions favorable for them to occur.

Yes, there are exceptions, like if the liftgate breaks in half under load, or if a liftgate free falls to the ground when it should gradually descend. Those are equipment failure accidents. But such risks should be taken in proportion.

Airplanes crash, but people still fly in them. Houses burn to the ground, but people still live in them. And truckers are seriously injured falling out of their cabs, but people still climb in and out of them. A liftgate is no different. Well maintained and safely used, a liftgate can be a worthwhile business asset.

Last edited: