Getting a break from the sleeper

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
After two weeks I am ready to get out of the truck and treat myself, hotel, preferabily with a restaurant and lounge, washing machine and internet hook up.

What is your favorite brand and could anyone comment on Motel 8s I see they always advertise free internet are they clean and do they have washing machines. I notice they are generally in walking distance to a decent resturant.

Holiday Inn Selects are my favorite but will with a discount will run you about $80.00 a night. I know that seems expensive, the accomidations they provide and the size of the rooms make up for the price, pools, nice prime rib in the resturants, just a wonderfull expierence for the $.

I have tried the internet and was not overly impressed that you are at the luck of the draw pulled Amerisuites, decent but nothing great and charged for internet service no inside resturant only comp. breakfast.

When entering a State and your gona have time, pull into the first Rest area their are generally magazines that advertise discounts for rooms, I found the ones in Texas list the $ and the days available the ones in Wis did not you had to call or I got the wrong magazine. I also have only checked in on a Saturday but generally Sunday as to watch the games.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Great idea with the discounts at rest stops.

When I hit Laredo this weekend, I'll be looking for a hotel as I don't have working a/c. Though I won't stay in a roach motel, I found a good discount one in NC last weekend. The bed was comfy and a Vaffle Hosen was two doors down. But I think I'll step it up a notch and find one with a pool in TX. I told my wife that I'll be getting a room after every long run... which I'm sure made her shudder :7

tiredofsittn

Expert Expediter
as you walk into most gas stations in the area your in there is motel discount coupons books for that area. most even have maps to where they are at, and list what things they have. i have got some really good rates like that.

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
Truck stops or gas stations? Right off of the freeway I presume, and what brands of gas station. These are to valuable not to use when you want a room.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Sometimes the rest area (state welcome center) has a book of discount coupons. Sometimes you have to ask and other times they are sitting out.

Davekc

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
For some unknown reason Denny"s restaurants always have the Green Discount books.
I prefer Best Westerrn's, most have guest laundry,internet acess and restaurants within walking distance.

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
i used to get a hotel room every once in a while and alway's ask what discount they had some of discounts are military discounts for retired or res, aarp for some sam's club, some of hotel chains have discounts for rooms also go on hotel.com and couple of others
also the company you drive for may a discount you may use
red roof inn if you go to there web site is bit cheater
and ooida has one or two
l mccord should get a discount for us for being loyal expediters of online

Aviator

Expert Expediter
If you are retired military or reserve you can stay on post in a lot of areas at the VEQ or whatever they have. Rates are excellent and vary depending on your rank. I have stayed out in Rapid city at the Air Force base there several times when you could not get a room in Rapid City for under $100. I paid $22 and it had a living room, kitchen, and a desk to work at. Have also stayed in Norfolk VA for $17 a night at a real nice joint there on the Navy Base.

A company called "Military Living" sells guides that give phone numbers and some rates broken down by state and base. They also sell maps of the US that have all the military bases marked on them. Some of these places are small and you may not even know they exist.

Thier address is http://www.militaryliving.com/

Aviator