Get out of Texas!

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The lawsuit is stupid and extreme. At the same time I have a problem with the school and cop pressuring the girl to see her texts without the parents present.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I would too until the gun enters the picture. At that point the urgency trumps waiting on parents to arrive.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
All she had to say was no; and they would have had to get her parents involved. Instead, she willingly gave them the phone.

There goes your case.

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
Some people don't deserve to be allowed to live in Texas.
This brings up a question I've been wondering about for a long time:

Leo - are you actually a native-born Texan ..... or just an immigrant ?

Last edited:

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
All she had to say was no; and they would have had to get her parents involved. Instead, she willingly gave them the phone.

There goes your case.
To a high school student, a minor, having four people in positions of authority granted to them by The State, three school administrators and a police officer, standing there demanding that you turn over your cell phone, that could be awfully intimidating. It's not much of a stretch at all to say that she was coerced into willingly giving up her phone.

MacArthur high school officials claim, in April, they got wind of a potentially threatening situation at the school involving a possible gun on campus, the vandalizing of two cars, and an incident of bullying. They believed Madelyn was somehow involved and had evidence on her phone.

Her father John Beaird says the Irving Independent School District violated his daughter's constitutional rights by illegally searching text messages on her phone.

"I knew they could not do it but I was kind of scared to ask for it back because you know I was like 'there were three principals and a police officer,'" Madelyn said. "I felt like a prisoner a little bit. I was pretty scared they were going to suspend me or something. I should have spoken with my dad first."

Turns out that two cars were indeed keyed on school property, but there was no gun on campus, and the suspicion of the OMG! bullying was much ado about nothing. The police did find a single text message from the girl's boyfriend regarding the keyed cars, but implicated no one and provided no evidence of anything. Because of that message, however, the police have not returned the phone nor it's data (call logs, phone book, text messages, e-mails and apps) to the girl, and said there are no plans to do so.

A person’s mobile phone is often one of their most private possessions. In it there are call logs, emails, text messages, photos, everything needed to tap into someone’s life.

The school board voted to deny the father's claim, which isn't surprising, but they did vote to reimburse the cost of the phone, which is a surprise, as that's an admission of guilt.

While students do have a certain amount of reduced rights in school (as ruled by the Supreme Court) due to the need to maintain order, the father on behalf of his daughter has a really good case for illegal search and seizure here. The school administrators say they had enough probable cause, but if that's true, then obtaining a warrant should have been no problem, and there is zero reason to offer to reimburse the cost of the phone. Within a few minutes of reading text messages it became clear that the girl was not involved as the school had suspected, and they did not find what they were fishing for, yet the refused to return the phone, presumably because they want to fish a little deeper inter her personal life and see what they can bring up.

As bat guano goofy as the father may be, asking for a ridiculous amount of money which he'll never get, he's likely to win this one in federal court.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
While I agree with what you say Turtle, kids should NOT have cell phones in class. That does not excuse this, just pointing it out. They are in school to learn, hopefully useful tools, like reading, writing, math etc. Cell phones interfere with that. I doubt very much that if I had kids of school age now that I would buy them a cell phone that could text or take pictures. I know, they are very hard to find but that is really not something that they, or most people really NEED. Kids often get themselves in trouble with them, they just don't need them. A basic cell for emergencies might be a good idea but we somehow got along without them.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Along with that, layout, kids should have computers either. all of it is a distraction.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I have mixed feelings on the computers Greg. For sure not computers prior to high school. I can see computer classes in high school.

I had a computer at my house when my kids were young. They could NOT play games on it very often. They had to learn typing and computer skills. Now, they DID learn how to "hack" my system to play the few games I did have when I was not there. LOL!! A learning process in itself. I did NOT have internet, even after it became available as long as my kids were in school.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
The thing about cell phones in class, sure, the easy solution is to have all cell phones turned off or placed into a box on the teacher's desk at the beginning of class. But a really, really lot of parents, mostly mothers, do not want their kids to be without a cell phone, ever, in case of emergency or in case the mother has a text or voice question for the kid. There have been many instances where teachers confiscated phones for the duration of class, and a parent, usually a mother, tried to call or text their baby and couldn't get in contact with them, and the parent, usually the mother, got all upset at the teacher.

As for kids not having computers... step into the Wayback Machine for a moment and let's see the same exact thing being said about hand-held calculators. And television. And Rock and Roll music.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Well I have yet to see a justification for cell phones and kids when they are in school. The exception can be a medical one, but outside of that, parents laziness and need to keep in touch with their brat at all times is a bit much.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Well once upon a time I sat in a meeting where they were asking about 24.7 support. Not that we really needed it, but it was silly for a number of reasons. one was we work with data and not patients and that data takes three years to filter through to the FDA, so what is the hurry. Three years is a long time.

The same with school brats, what can't wait until after school? For more than a century we survived without cell phones, and amazingly we survived.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Oh, I know. I read a story a year or two ago on it, and I wish I could remember the reasons the moms wanted the kids to have cell phones and be able to use them while in class of needed. I can't remember any specific reasons, other than every one of them was stupid BS. Like, the mom wanted to make sure what time the daughter would be home after school, or something equally stupid, and got mad when the teacher wouldn't allow the student to send a return text. The mom dropped everything and came to the school, because she assumed something happened to the kid. I do remember thinking, she went to the school, does she not know that the cell phone in her hand also makes phone calls?

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Today we have this thing called Helicopter Parenting. Hooving around and above the kids so they are protected and/or learn. A lot of times the parents are living their childhood through their kids.

I honeslty think they either teach it to insecure people or it is part of the drugs they take to deal with everyday life.

jujubeans

OVM Project Manager
I have a D In law...that wanted to take her kids off the school bus because of the words her kids were learning...thank goodness her husband JuJu's son said..oh no you don't...it is part of growing up...thanks he has his moms common sense...

He is a good daddy!

nightshift

Expert Expediter
The father will win this one. Remember the case a few years ago where a mother suspected her daughter and boyfriend of being involved in something illegal so she listened in to a phone call between the two on a house extension, in her own home? The daughter sued her for violation of right to privacy, and won. In this case there were a number of things wrong, daughter was a minor, home was owned by parents, phone bill paid by parents, right to privacy protection is to protect against Government, not parents, etc.... but the courts ruled in favor of the kid. The amount this guy wants is a scam, makes it hard to stand by him on this one, if you really want to make a statement, don't use it to try and set yourself up for life, make the statement of being wronged, get just compensation for the phone and have something done to change the rules or enforce the ones in place, don't lower yourself to the level of a con artist snake oil salesman. One other thing, the girl stated she should have talked to Daddy first, well she was holding the phone in her hand, bet he was on speed dial.