generarors

Driveguy 207

Expert Expediter
With it starting to cool off Im looking for a way to keep my sprinter warm in cold weather.I don't want to Idle because of potential EGR problems. I've checked out the espar heater and it looks like it would do the job but is kind of expensive.$1200
New sprintergen coming out also looks high priced. I have extra batteries but once they run down it takes six hours of driving to charge them. Has anybody tried using portable generators such as
Honda 2000 Watt. small,lightweight (50#) and Quiet. To run an electric heater and recharge batteries?

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
in past a driver with tristate had taken a generator and fixed so it would fit on his van and worked and had block heater for engine
etc
what is web site for sprinter genset

Turbod_86_stang

Expert Expediter
I was thinking of a stand alone power/heating/air system. Here is what i came up with. I looked at generators and the honda, although the best generator out there, was a little out of my price range. So I looked at the [link:www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS/EN_US/prodmeta/pg_prodmeta.jsp?CNTTYPE=PROD_META&MID=9876&source=SEARCH&searchText=coleman+generator&CNTKEY=Products_2%2FPower+Tools%2FGenerators+%26+Accessories%2FPortable+Generators&ProductOID=614767&BV_SessionID=@@@@0533456412.1096377723@@@@&BV_EngineID=cccjadcmjgjdiegcgelceffdfgidgkj.0|Colman Generator] and found that it would suit me. Next was the AC/Heat unit. I found this [link:www.solairco.com/A3200.htm|Solair mobile unit.] So I should have all this before Nov. and will try it out and let you guys know. Lemme know what you come up with. Good luck and drive safe.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Next was the AC/Heat unit. I found this [link:www.solairco.com/A3200.htm|Solair mobile unit.]

How do you plan to exhaust the hot air?

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
If you are looking for just heat ,about 5 years ago one of our Canadian Moderators (Jim B) passed on to everyone what he uses to heat his truck.
K Mart,Walmart sells in the RV section a samll Catalytic heater designed for indoor use for about $45-50. These heaters work off of a chemical reaction and do not generate any carbon monoxide.They use a small cannister of propane which lasts for about 8 hours. The only drawback is that you can not regulate the heat and sometimes it can get too hot. I am on my second one and have seen this heater take the cab of my D unit from 4 degrees to 55 degrees in 20 minutes. I still have some reservations and when I am sleeping I do crack a window but my Carbon Monoxide detector has never gone off with the heater on. Check it out.

Turbod_86_stang

Expert Expediter
Wow rich, Great info. I had an old camper with a radiator heater that i could not control, the only thing you can do is start crackin windows...