GENERAL idea, being on with Panther

TMFGO45

Seasoned Expediter
Hi everyone. I currently am a Company Driver for Con-Way. My parents have been driving for Panther for a little while now, and I am really thinking about making the switch to Panther myself. But they are a team, and I will be a solo. So, I know what they are capable of doing week by week, but I can't seem to get a grasp anywhere on what a solo might be expected to do.

I understand how the contracts work and all that. I know there are areas you would like to try to avoid, I mean, just by talking to them, I have a good idea of how things go. I would just like it if somebody, anybody, could give me an honest opinion on what a solo driver can expect out there. Mainly miles/week on average? And yes, I know the miles are what it's all about with Panther, but for me that is a good barometer to know if the switch will be worth it in the end.

Basically, if somebody would like to post here, or message me with an honest opinion about a solo for Panther, I am all ears.
And also, if there is an O/O out there who is looking for someone right now, I am ready, willing, and motivated, to make the switch as long as I know I will be able to make us both profitable.

So, anybody?

Vinnie T

Seasoned Expediter
Electronic logs

Need to run as a team to make any money, but if you are a team they are good to work for it seems and can keep you rolling, I like their back haul program where you can book your own loads. At least they use to do that. Singles can't make any money with electronic logs.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Look at what they're doing as a team, divide it in half, and subtract 10%. There ya go.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Look at what they're doing as a team, divide it in half, and subtract 10%. There ya go.

Non related teams just end up working twice as hard for half the money.....teaming with a stranger just usually doesn't work...

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
The only way to team with a stranger is either hire a person to help drive your own truck,or team with the owner of a truck.In most cases if you drive with the owner,you percentage will be higher,and if you hire a driver,you can pay them more, as your also making the income from the truck.My co does ruffly $50k year,we work about 40 weeks.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
As I said Steve "usually" there are exceptions to the rule of thought...

Non related teams can make money but they have to drive their tail off to surpass the miles they could make being solo...but that is a lot of driving...depending on a persons fortitude, burnout usually follows...

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Hi everyone. I currently am a Company Driver for Con-Way.
Con-Way Freight or Truckload?

And yes, I know the miles are what it's all about with Panther,
Miles are what it's all about for most expediters. Gots to have lots of miles. More miles, more better.

but for me that is a good barometer to know if the switch will be worth it in the end.

For me it was worth it. I left Con-Way Central Express in 1997 after 13 years. I was in a position financially, to say goodbye to 52k a year (1997), 3 weeks vacation, 401 K, full health and dental insurance.

If you are doing the LTL thing and can afford a 50% drop in gross yearly income and pay for your own health insurance then go for it. But give it some very serious thought before you do it.

TMFGO45

Seasoned Expediter
That was actually supposed to say miles aren't everything with Panther. But either way...
And are you saying you went from 52k a year down to 26k a year gross?
By the way I'm with Truckload. And I'm definitely not switching if we are talking 26k.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
And are you saying you went from 52k a year down to 26k a year gross?

No. My last year at Con-Way Central Express (now Con-Way Freight) I grossed 52k. My first full year in expedite as an owner/operator of a cargo van I grossed about 38k.

I don't know what you make at Con-Way Truckload. I still have friends at Con-Way Freight and the line haul drivers are making about 70k.

Talk to your parents and do the math. You may be better off where you are at then to work for an owner in expedite.

guido4475

Not a Member
If I had a job with full benefits, retirement,and a decent wage, while still being able to maintain a normal home life in the meantime,I'd definately stay with what you have.Every job has some b.s. to it,no matter what.

TMFGO45

Seasoned Expediter
Well I will say this. I don't consider being out here a month, and getting home 4 days much home time. But I love being out here or course, just need a little more freedom, WHEN I decide to use it.
As for retirement, I don't even use 401K. I do my own, so I am not worried about that either. So I just need something that's a step up from what I have right now. Plus, I have other goals beyond this, and the only way to get there, is to keep improving where I am at right now. Otherwise, I will be stuck here forever!