Gear problems

Dannyr70

New Recruit
Driver
Hi, I have a 2001 Hino GH1J I think. I am having trouble with gear synchronizing once truck warms up. I was told that 1st and reverse gears are non-synchro, but this problem is happening in other gears as well. When it happens it dumps the air and the clutch disengages. If anyone has an idea I'd appreciate any feedback.

Dannyr70

New Recruit
Driver
No, it's definitely GH1J, it has a nine speed Eaton Fuller. Someone suggested it might be a problem with the clutch booster or a solenoid.

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
No, it's definitely GH1J, it has a nine speed Eaton Fuller. Someone suggested it might be a problem with the clutch booster or a solenoid.
The 9-speed was an uncommon option here, and I've never had to deal with one. All of the manual transmission Hinos I've seen have a simple hydraulic clutch with a master and slave cylinder with no clutch booster. So I can't offer specifics. All I can tell you is to adjust the clutch until you have around 2" of pedal travel (adjusted at the slave cylinder pushrod on US trucks), and to check the slave and master for external leakage. If you pull the dust boots back and fluid comes out, it has failed. They can also fail internally, and there's not really a good way to determine which one is bad without some test equipment.

If this is set up like the brakes are on that era Hino, I imagine you are dealing with a master or slave cylinder failure, and the clutch booster may be overstroking. If you were to push in the clutch and put it in gear and keep the pedal to the floor, will the truck start to load up and inch forward after a minute or so? If yes, I imagine a clutch slave or master cylinder has failed. At that point I'd replace them both as they are probably both in a poor state of health.

Reactions: ttruck