Gas Prices, Ouch

blackpup

Veteran Expediter
Yeah, food price increases are fixing to eat my lunch, and probably a lot of other folks lunches .

jimmy

clcooper

Expert Expediter
And why not? good exercise and spring is here....for the cost of a tank of fuel you can get a bike at Walmart....even if you just bike it twice a week you can bring the costs down to a good level....people just have to be more flexible,stop whining and GIT-ER-DONE...

yes master . i will stay in my house . because you only pay me enough to pay for gas . you can go on your vacations i will stay in my one room shack .while you live in a house with 6 bedrooms . and i will do that because i am a American . and since you shut down all the companies that were only 3 miles form my town . and moved them all 50 miles or more away i will save gas and ride a bike . just like wal mart did

hdxpedx

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
yes master . i will stay in my house . because you only pay me enough to pay for gas . you can go on your vacations i will stay in my one room shack .while you live in a house with 6 bedrooms . and i will do that because i am a American . and since you shut down all the companies that were only 3 miles form my town . and moved them all 50 miles or more away i will save gas and ride a bike . just like wal mart did

Hang on- Foxnews web page ALERT! Watch where you step
Former Obama Adviser Van Jones Helping to Push 'Human' Rights for Mother Nature

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Very witty...indeed...a little over the edge....for an American that believes in Free Speech, Free enterprise, little/no government involvement...a capitalist business environment...by the looks of fast food restaurants at meal times...maybe a brown bag lunch once and awhile would also help cut the costs and improve the home budget? That and letting little chubby Mary and Johnny actually walk to school that 1/2 mile instead of a mommy taxi...

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Does not fuel surcharge solve all our problems,hmm:rolleyes:?
Yes....it offsets quite well....as long as the carrier you are with reviews it on a regular basis...

I can't see why all the flap about it.... 4.10 @ 18 mpg is .227 cents a mile...

My cost @ 23 mpg is .18 cents...

Freightdawg

Expert Expediter
But "they" got us where they want us. They know we need it. I am sure I am not the only one to sigh, roll my eyes and shrug when I tear that receipt off the pump.

My theory of conspiracy: they will raise it until people stop traveling for leisure...then it will drop slowly until folks start venturing out again. When that happens, they will raise it slowly, surpassing what it is now, until people stop unnecessary consumption.

Then the cycle repeats....

"Bruises fade and bones will mend-but a psyche can be ruined FOREVER" : LisaLouHoo, c. 2008

But, when people slow down on fuel consumption by driving less, or driving more efficient vehicles, less fuel is bought, hence less tax revenue. The government will then raise fuel taxes to make up for the shortfall!
Washington state has been giving tax breaks for electric vehicle purchases. Now they are proposing yearly taxes on them since they don't pay gasoline taxes.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
But, when people slow down on fuel consumption by driving less, or driving more efficient vehicles, less fuel is bought, hence less tax revenue. The government will then raise fuel taxes to make up for the shortfall!
Washington state has been giving tax breaks for electric vehicle purchases. Now they are proposing yearly taxes on them since they don't pay gasoline taxes.
Yep...the taxman cometh....:eek:

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
When's the last time you've been on a mountain bike?:p;)
Actually about 2 weeks ago...I use it to go pick up the mail at the post office and go the bank and also to get to the grocery store (all on same street) and back home...it is about 1 mile round trip....why start the pick-up for that? and THAT there cuts fuel expenses...so there!!:p

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
Actually about 2 weeks ago...I use it to go pick up the mail at the post office and go the bank and also to get to the grocery store (all on same street) and back home...it is about 1 mile round trip....why start the pick-up for that? and THAT there cuts fuel expenses...so there!!:p

Good for you!!!:)

jpalmer

Seasoned Expediter
Figuring out a way to living with high prices isn't really a good alternative. Because high gas prices means less consumer spending, less money going around, lowered incomes and higher unemployment.......

Once we've accepted higher costs of energy and higher taxes that basically stamps an approval on the end of consumerism and the end to our economy........

There really is no alternative....Welfare state? Who's going to pay for that? You'll end up with bondage...

aristotle

Veteran Expediter
Figuring out a way to living with high prices isn't really a good alternative. Because high gas prices means less consumer spending, less money going around, lowered incomes and higher unemployment.......

Once we've accepted higher costs of energy and higher taxes that basically stamps an approval on the end of consumerism and the end to our economy........

There really is no alternative....Welfare state? Who's going to pay for that? You'll end up with bondage...

The economic vise continues to tighten for many Americans. As we all remember, a sudden spike in fuel prices in 2008 presaged the great recession that still lingers. Disposable income for many families does not exist. More consumers will pull back on spending. Big ticket items like new cars, homes, boats, RV's will see lagging sales. Smaller businesses, like restaurants, convenience stores, retail furniture and clothing may take a big hit. Our economy is fragile despite government using every conceivable gimmick to prime the pump. Gimmickry is no substitute for sound economic principles. The Central Planners in Washington have nearly destroyed this nation. Capitalism still works until government screws it up.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
We need a serious debt reduction plan, as one way to prop up the lacking US dollar...that would drop the price of oil....

greg334

Veteran Expediter
You know it doesn't matter when you come down to it. $5 or $6 should be expected since the advent of the low interest rate, the QEII and the dumping of money to spur growth. Not to mention bailing out companies who went into bankruptcy because of sub-prime lending.

We have to pay one way or another, either through the interest rate being stable and meaningful or through energy prices.

If we expected to live with the sub-prime loans, the variable rate mortgages and other things that allowed consumers to live beyond their means while spurring growth, we have to be living in a world of denial.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Its getting to be or already is...a feudal system...US against THEM.....no wonder there are so many tax cheats and so forth....and the government has set it up like this...The underground economy must be at an all time high...

moose

Veteran Expediter
There''s a Missouri billboard stating:

"Obama 11-5-2009
gas: 1.87$"

Anyone still questioning his motives ?

blackpup

Veteran Expediter
Cheap inexpensive energy is one of key factors, to allowing the growth of any society. Transportation does not have to be based on petroleum. The internal combustion engine can be adapted to different types of fuel.

Positive mindset is also a key factor, in the growth of a society.

jimmy