Garmin question.

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I bought a Garmin Nuvi 465 a few months back. When I updated the thing, it wouldn't take the full North American continent, so I settled for the Lower 49 NE selection since this contains the places I've been to so far. It has nothing West of the Rockies, though, and it goes without saying it doesn't have Canada.

It uses an SD chip to contain map data from what I can learn, and I want to know just how big of a chip does this thing actually need? The chip it came with is too small, and now the 8-gigabyte chip I just put in seems too small too. Did I do something wrong, or am I going to need multiple chips if I have to drive to Utah, for example. Or, can I get a chip big enough to contain at least the continental US. How big do I need the chip to be???

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
The map updates should fit. How, exactly, did you update it?
Make sure you have updated the latest firmware and any software updates, and make sure you haven't downloaded just a snotload of extras like vehicles, voices and whatever. The North America NT 2013.10 map file (gmapsupp.img) is 1.62 GB. If you're updating to a later version than that it might be larger, but not substantially so.

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
My 465 is getting filled up. I had to drop Canada and just do the lower 48 on the last update. There was a glitch during the last update and I had to call support to help me work through it. In addition to that, he helped me delete some files to make more room so that maybe I can get one more update. The new DEZL models have more room for updates and should last longer.

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The map updates should fit. How, exactly, did you update it?
Make sure you have updated the latest firmware and any software updates, and make sure you haven't downloaded just a snotload of extras like vehicles, voices and whatever. The North America NT 2013.10 map file (gmapsupp.img) is 1.62 GB. If you're updating to a later version than that it might be larger, but not substantially so.

How do I get rid of the extra voices and so on??? It seems to have come from the factory with excess junk, and so help me I don't know how you get rid of the garbage. Tom-Tom made that easy, but the Garmin doesn't seem to allow for dumping excess.

sirgregory46

Expert Expediter
I had the same problem. Get at least 1.5 gig sd card update all the software. Then you can download all the maps. The new software update let's you use larger memory cards.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using EO Forums mobile app

sirgregory46

Expert Expediter
I just got back the n dezl 760lmt and it holds over 8 gigs

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using EO Forums mobile app

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
How do I get rid of the extra voices and so on??? It seems to have come from the factory with excess junk, and so help me I don't know how you get rid of the garbage. Tom-Tom made that easy, but the Garmin doesn't seem to allow for dumping excess.
Connect the Garmin to your computer and the drive in the Garmin will mount just like any removable drive. At least mine does. You can then delete the junk.

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I've had a little bit of downtime due to a vehicle repair, so I got curious. I pulled the SD chip from the Garmin and had a look-see using a separate reader. The computer shows me that the chip is empty, which means that the GPS unit is using internal memory and isn't using the chip at all. I checked both the chip that came with the unit, which is a 2 gigabyte chip, and the one I bought which is 8 gigabytes. Both chips are showing that they're empty. So, let's suppose I download the US and Canada onto the chip that came with the unit, can I hope to get the Garmin to recognize the chip? How do you turn that on?

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
OK. I finally got this unit to open the SD chip, and that allowed all of the US and Canada to load onto the unit.

I downloaded the latest update with the unit not connected to the computer, then when the software asked me to connect I saw a prompt that hadn't appeared the last couple of updates. It actually asked to use the chip, then it went through the procedure of checking the chip and then loading the update onto the device. So, it's all there-- and there's room to spare since I know it didn't use anywhere near the full combined capacity of the internal plus chip.

runrunner

Veteran Expediter
When your Garmin is connected to your computer click on Start then click computer you will see 2 new drives one is the Garmin internal memory and the other is the SD card. So you don't have to remove the card to read it.