Garden 2013 Time line

jujubeans

OVM Project Manager
So the Master Gardener down in Rapid has already dug 30 pounds of Yukon Golds and took them to the farmers market. He advises me that the potatoes need another 4 weeks to finish off..His garden MUST be huge as he just dug a few...*LOL*

jujubeans

OVM Project Manager
Starting my sauerkraut today...4 heads shredded and salted and waiting for them to wilt..2 more ready to shred in the sink..just don't know how much will fit in the 2 gal crock.:)

21cExp

Veteran Expediter
Now to wait the 3 - 6 weeks for it to ferment! Official time stamp of 7/23/13.

There's a German place called Morse's on the coast of Maine (famous to locals), that for years put a tiny ad in local papers and hung a sign out, and both simply had two words: "Kraut's Ready"

Great stuff.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
now we are here using up some of the pickles in the food processor...trying to make some Dill Pickle Relish...and wooooo hooo it is tart....we are slicing and dicing and resealing in pint jars....I'll be bring some extra out with me....;)

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
now we are here using up some of the pickles in the food processor...trying to make some Dill Pickle Relish...and wooooo hooo it is tart....we are slicing and dicing and resealing in pint jars....I'll be bring some extra out with me....;)

Speaking of relish, McCutcheon's has a really nice vidalia onion relish. But my fav is their hot pepper relish, which isn't too hot, and rather sweet. Great on hot dogs. They sell it at Block's in Romulus. I stock up on it for the year, but ran out of the hot pepper relish in the winter (too many dogs, and it shows :eek: ).

They didn't have McCutcheon's relishes last week, when we went. They said they'd have some in soon. The pepper relish they did have is really good... a bit hotter when you eat it by itself, but nice on hot dogs.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
The relish turned out very darned good...going to process the remaining dill pickles as well...maybe try a small batches with a ground up Vidalia onion in it...see what that does to the flavour...

jujubeans

OVM Project Manager
and meanwhile back at the ranch, mama picked all the apricots and put up 5 pints of apricot jam and the first 2 jars of dill pickles..cukes are a little slow this year!! Now Ken's got the tree man in doing some work on an old dead tree and other related stuff! :)

jujubeans

OVM Project Manager
8/3 Ready..,my first tasty tomato...yellow crookneck squash..several butternut squash are forming..more cukes are ready..the shallots are getting bigger..already had our first helping of Yukon Golds..
And so much more to come!:)

I gave my sister 3 big cabbages so she could make sauerkraut too. My batch is almost 2 weeks old and is smelling really good!

jujubeans

OVM Project Manager
8/3 Ready..,my first tasty tomato...yellow crookneck squash..several butternut squash are forming..more cukes are ready..the shallots are getting bigger..already had our first helping of Yukon Golds..
And so much more to come!:)

I gave my sister 3 big cabbages so she could make sauerkraut too. My batch is almost 2 weeks old and is smelling really good!

Haha ....I got a new toy

jujubeans

OVM Project Manager
I do believe the buttercup squash has taken over the whole garden...wow am I going to have a lot of them! I've seen some of my cantelope forming also..and I just picked a few cukes and made some creamed cucumbers with fresh dill from the garden!

another week yet on the sauerkraut but oh boy does it smell good!

I haven't watered for a couple of days as I think I drowned them after our last rain of 1" and my tomatoes are getting bigger..it's been so cool though..need a couple of hot days to turn them!

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
Yep...Give it the time needed in the receipe ya used..If you got the armoa now your on track..Get your jars ready..