STORY HIGHLIGHTS
·NEW: Federal trucking safety agency expected to rule on hand-held cell phones

·NEW: Hands-free devices do little to increase danger, trucking group says

·NTSB's recommended rule would ban both hand-held and hands-free phones

·The action results from an accident that killed 11 people in Kentucky

RELATED TOPICS
·U.S. National Transportation Safety Board
·Cellular Phones

Washington (CNN) -- In an action that could affect millions of truckers, the National Transportation Safety Board on Tuesday recommended that commercial drivers be prohibited from using both hand-held and hands-free mobile phones while driving on the job.

The recommendation is the most far-reaching yet by the safety board, which has previously recommended that young drivers and bus drivers be prohibited from using cell phones while at the wheel. The new recommendation calls for a ban on all cell phone use by people holding commercial driver's licenses while operating their vehicles, except in emergencies.

While the recommendation does not carry the weight of law, the safety board's actions often are a catalyst for local, state and federal legislation.

Last year, the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration banned truckers from text-messaging while driving, setting fines of up to $2,750. The FMCSA anticipates a rule banning truckers from using hand-held cell phones soon.

The board made the recommendation Tuesday after concluding that a 45-year-old truck driver, responsible for a fatal crash near Munfordville, Kentucky, that killed him and 10 others last year, was likely distracted by his cell phone at the time of the crash.

Investigators determined the driver used his mobile phone for calls and text messages 69 times while driving in the 24 hours before the accident. The driver made four calls in the minutes leading up to the crash, making the last call at 5:14 a.m., coinciding with the time the truck left the highway, the board said.

The tractor-trailer left the southbound lanes of Interstate 65, crossed a 60-foot-wide median and went over a cable barrier system before entering the northbound lanes and striking a van occupied by 12 people. The trucker, the van driver and nine van passengers were killed.

Two children who survived the accident were saved by their child restraint systems, the board said.

Investigators said there was no evidence that mechanical problems, weather, road conditions or driver health problems were factors in the crash, which was called the worst in a generation in Kentucky. The probable cause, they said, was that the driver was distracted by his cell phone.

The driver was known to have a "hands-free" technology, but it was unclear whether he was using his phone in a hands-free mode at the time of the accident, the NTSB said.
They added that the truck driver was fatigued at the time of the accident, which may have contributed to the distraction effects of the phone.

Safety board Chairman Deborah Hersman said a cell phone ban could save lives on highways.

"Changing behavior can start right now, for drivers of big rigs, but also for the rest of us," Hersman said. "When you are at the wheel, driving safely should be your only focus."

The board said both hand-held and hands-free cell phones cause distractions, and both should be banned for commercial drivers.
The recommendations would apply to all drivers operating under the authority of a commercial driver's license. According to the safety board, this would include all interstate commercial drivers and any in-state drivers operating under the authority of that type of license.

This would include the many thousands of box trucks that don't leave the state.
Boyd Stephenson, manager of safety operations for the American Trucking Associations, said the group supports bans on texting and hand-held phones.
"Texting is even more dangerous than drunk driving, and we have consistently supported bans," he said.
But, he said, safety studies show that hands-free devices do little to make driving more dangerous. "There are almost no safety effects."
Stephenson said most trucking companies already set limits on the use of phones. "It is almost uniform among the trucking industry that texting and hand-held phones are banned by company policy," he said.

The NTSB also said the cable barrier system in the median, which had recently been installed after another cross-median fatal accident on the same section of I-65, contributed to the severity of the accident because it was not designed to redirect or contain a vehicle of the truck's size.

The board made recommendations regarding the use of appropriately designed median barriers on roadways with high volumes of commercial vehicles.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Texting, sure, hand-helds, fine, but there is no compelling data whatsoever that the banning of hands-free devices would make the roads any safer, and any ruling from the FMCSA or the NTSB must, by law, be supported by irrefutable evidence. Any federal ruling without such evidence would be successfully challenged in court, as would any state or local law banning hands-free devices that did not also include banning them in cars.

I was nearly run off the road the other day by the driver of a car who changed lanes while talking on the phone, no turn signal was used. She entered the Interstate from the on-ramp and proceeded to immediately and without looking cross over three lanes to get to that left lane, because, you know, the far left lane is all that and a bag o' chips. She came into my lane forcing me to get out of the way, onto the left shoulder and partially into the median. Now, if I had crossed the median or otherwise gotten into an accident, and they saw that I was talking on a hands-free device at the time, they may very well have concluded, as they did in the KY accident above, that the cause of the accident was me talking on the phone, and they'd be dead wrong.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Federal board urges cell phone ban for commercial truckers
By Mike M. Ahlers, CNN

STORY HIGHLIGHTS
·NEW: Federal trucking safety agency expected to rule on hand-held cell phones

·NTSB's recommended rule would ban both hand-held and hands-free phones

·The action results from an accident that killed 11 people in Kentucky

RELATED TOPICS
·U.S. National Transportation Safety Board
·Cellular Phones

Washington (CNN) -- In an action that could affect millions of truckers, the National Transportation Safety Board on Tuesday recommended that commercial drivers be prohibited from using both hand-held and hands-free mobile phones while driving on the job.

The recommendation is the most far-reaching yet by the safety board, which has previously recommended that young drivers and bus drivers be prohibited from using cell phones while at the wheel. The new recommendation calls for a ban on all cell phone use by people holding commercial driver's licenses while operating their vehicles, except in emergencies.

While the recommendation does not carry the weight of law, the safety board's actions often are a catalyst for local, state and federal legislation.

Last year, the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration banned truckers from text-messaging while driving, setting fines of up to $2,750. The FMCSA anticipates a rule banning truckers from using hand-held cell phones soon.

The board made the recommendation Tuesday after concluding that a 45-year-old truck driver, responsible for a fatal crash near Munfordville, Kentucky, that killed him and 10 others last year, was likely distracted by his cell phone at the time of the crash.

Investigators determined the driver used his mobile phone for calls and text messages 69 times while driving in the 24 hours before the accident. The driver made four calls in the minutes leading up to the crash, making the last call at 5:14 a.m., coinciding with the time the truck left the highway, the board said.

The tractor-trailer left the southbound lanes of Interstate 65, crossed a 60-foot-wide median and went over a cable barrier system before entering the northbound lanes and striking a van occupied by 12 people. The trucker, the van driver and nine van passengers were killed.

Two children who survived the accident were saved by their child restraint systems, the board said.

Investigators said there was no evidence that mechanical problems, weather, road conditions or driver health problems were factors in the crash, which was called the worst in a generation in Kentucky. The probable cause, they said, was that the driver was distracted by his cell phone.

The driver was known to have a "hands-free" technology, but it was unclear whether he was using his phone in a hands-free mode at the time of the accident, the NTSB said.
They added that the truck driver was fatigued at the time of the accident, which may have contributed to the distraction effects of the phone.

Safety board Chairman Deborah Hersman said a cell phone ban could save lives on highways.

"Changing behavior can start right now, for drivers of big rigs, but also for the rest of us," Hersman said. "When you are at the wheel, driving safely should be your only focus."

The board said both hand-held and hands-free cell phones cause distractions, and both should be banned for commercial drivers.
The recommendations would apply to all drivers operating under the authority of a commercial driver's license. According to the safety board, this would include all interstate commercial drivers and any in-state drivers operating under the authority of that type of license.

This would include the many thousands of box trucks that don't leave the state.
Boyd Stephenson, manager of safety operations for the American Trucking Associations, said the group supports bans on texting and hand-held phones.
"Texting is even more dangerous than drunk driving, and we have consistently supported bans," he said.
But, he said, safety studies show that hands-free devices do little to make driving more dangerous. "There are almost no safety effects."
Stephenson said most trucking companies already set limits on the use of phones. "It is almost uniform among the trucking industry that texting and hand-held phones are banned by company policy," he said.

The NTSB also said the cable barrier system in the median, which had recently been installed after another cross-median fatal accident on the same section of I-65, contributed to the severity of the accident because it was not designed to redirect or contain a vehicle of the truck's size.

The board made recommendations regarding the use of appropriately designed median barriers on roadways with high volumes of commercial vehicles.

NO conclusive proof...all just speculation....glad NTSB doesn't hear murder trials.....
then there was the "speculation" drive fatigue was also a factor.....which just pushes their agenda to the reduced driving time argument...

paullud

Veteran Expediter
NO conclusive proof...all just speculation....glad NTSB doesn't hear murder trials.....
then there was the "speculation" drive fatigue was also a factor.....which just pushes their agenda to the reduced driving time argument...

I know of accidents that had kids in the car so I will guess the kids are the distraction and feel we should ban all children from vehicles.

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
I sent an email to Joe Rajkovacz, Regulatory Affairs, about OOIDA's stance on this issue and received this back:

We (OOIDA) are completely opposed to any blanket ban. It cannot be supported by scientific evidence that a CMV driver talking on a cell phone is at ANY increased risk of having an accident, nor does accident data show this as a problem. NTSB is tlking a single, tragic accident and extrapolating their findings from ONE accident to the entire industry.

I’ve attached our comments filed to the NPRM proposing to ban hand held cell phones by truck drivers. You’ll both find what we state beginning on page 5 is well cited from university studies.

We’ve always been concerned that if safety advocacy groups were successful in banning cell phone use, CB radio use would be next. This is not an idle worry, safety advocates actually filed comments to the same docket calling for a complete ban on the use of CB radios.

If you would like a copy of the comments please send me a message.

This is a good time to join OOIDA and support them in this mission. Drivers as well as O/O are welcome as members of OOIDA.

Trucking Association, Owner Operator Independent Drivers Association

Last edited:

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Federal board urges cell phone ban for commercial truckers
By Mike M. Ahlers, CNN

STORY HIGHLIGHTS

I'm confused. More so than usual.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
If they want to ban all use of any phone device by commercial license holders then they need to ban all use by any driver's license holder. Along with that they need to ban any conversation in any moving motor vehicle because 1. if the driver is involved they will usually not only converse but look away from the road at the passengers they are talking to, an even greater distraction than just talking on the phone and 2. if the driver isn't directly involved (s)he will still listen and be distracted.

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
If they want to ban all use of any phone device by commercial license holders then they need to ban all use by any driver's license holder..
That's what we said when they "outlawed" radar detectors in CMV. Didn't hold up, unfortunately.

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
Barr hand free?? I guess that means you can't talk to anyone while your driving. Same O, Same O.

Ever watch these cop shows where the cop is driving 80 mph in the dark through red traffic lights while do what? Reading information on a lap top. That ain't dangerous??:eek:

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Before anyone gets their feathers up over this, read the report summary, espeically the point that said "The truck driver was fatigued at the time of the accident, which may have contributed to the distraction effects caused by the use of his cellular telephone."

This report has LaHood stamped all over it, he said he wanted to outlaw phones in the cab and I truly think the guy and his staff members have stock in Qualcomm.

Focusing on the phone and making it look like the main cause of the accident while down playing the issue of Fatigue (from what I understand the driver had a total of four hours sleep in the last 24), seems to be a little over the top and a serious issue that congress needs to address with the NTSB. I think this is the third or forth time that they ignored obvious causes for political reasons.

No matter how you want to cut it, the cause is fatigue, not a cell phone.

Rikk

Expert Expediter
Heck, the qc is just as bad if not worse! I've gotten to the point if my co-driver is sleeping i don't answer frivelous<spell> messages untill i stop.

Sent from my A500 using Tapatalk

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
We all know that this stuff is BS....QC's or at least the new ones don't work while the truck is moving, other then to notify you with a light and voice prompt that you have a message and you have to stop to get the message...I really have no issue with no texting while driving, but there is no way to enforce a no hands free ban..it is stupid to try....

No i do have to ask, while life would certainly take a step back, but, what did we ever get by without a cell phone or without the hands free option .....:rolleyes:

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
there is no way to enforce a no hands free ban..it is stupid to try..[/QUOTE said:
Don`t kid yourself. They can pull your phone records in a heartbeat.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
NTSB is not just taking one tragic accident and extrapolating it to the entire industry, he's ignoring the one known factor [the median barrier "wasn't designed" for trucks - excuse me?! Who got paid to design a crash barrier that doesn't work for trucks, on a highway full of trucks?] and pinning the blame on one of the other two possible factors [fatigue & cell phone convos], and he's decided "Cell phone it is - new law coming up."
And people actually get paid for this kind of reasoning?! :mad:

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Not in a heartbeat, because they need a court order to do it...yes the Michigan state Police and a few othjers have the tools to access your phone info FROM your phone, if you gove them the phone when they ask for it...give it to them without a court order and you are just plain goofy....

Unless you are involved in an accident, no police dept is going to go to the point of getting a court order toaccess your phone records just to issue a ticket for using it while driving....

This has been cover many times and the State patrol in Michigan is being sued now because they gained info without a court order by confiscating phones from drivers....

Jason2

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
i'e seen alot of expedite trucks in my area for years but a couple of months ago in Florence, Alabama our elected officials passed a no texting ban while in a moving vehicle. I still see a lot of city officals either texting or typing on the computer in thier cars.

Now what eats me is that they are stopping a lot of people that even looks down in the floor boards of whatever the are in. I have seen it happen a few times. So when ya"ll are in the Muscle Shoals or Florence, Alabama area watch where you look. If you can get a car number call in to the police dept. so it can be logged in the system.
I'm just cutting a long story short.They have the mentality of "DO AS i SAY DO,NOT I CAN DO!"

14Wheeler

Seasoned Expediter
Regardless if this "no phone" goes thru or not, we do have some visibility advantages. You'd have a very hard time viewing what i'm doing, much less holding in my hand, while behind the wheel of my tractor.

Secondly, since Cops are human, I'd never expect them to become gun-ho, over writing just about anyone tickets. They just won't do it.