Funny Ford Dearborn plant scenario

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Apr-12-01 AT 11:40PM (EDT)[/font][p]I don't run much auto freight, but took a good paying run into the Ford Dearborn Assy. plant yesterday. 1 skid @ 130 lbs. on my D truck that paid full rate for 480 miles.
I haven't been to this plant in about 2 years. Went down Miller Rd. and proceeded into the "Truck enterance" Gate 6. Was promptly chased out by Mr. Prick the $6 an hour guard who rudely informed me I was in the "Mustang shipping area." I apoligized nicely and asked him where I was supposed to go. He told me to go in at the next gate 6B. This "gate" is unlabeled at the street and enters a muddy trailer staging lot. There was a little guard shack to the right, with nobody in it, and a sign stating "live loads report directly to receiving bays."
As I got to the bays and was opening my doors another guard pulled up to me in a car and asked me why I "blew by" their gate. Needless to say I contained my temper and told her what their own sign said. She informed me I still was supposed to stop for a gate pass.
I went back for the pass. The guard shack I didn't see was about 50 feet to the LEFT. I got my big "pass" and unloaded.
Now... tell me Ford.. how was I suppose to read your minds??
I'm just glad I wasn't delivering this load at night or it would not have been there on time for sure.
--Weave--

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Boy we could all tell stoeies like that.If they put a bunch of us in a room it could be a interesting book after a short time. I will not buy a Chrysler product bec ause of the treatment I have received at Chrysler plants. I don!t do much auto freight anymore but I backed into the wrong dock at A Chrysler plant up on Mound Road and the linker guy screamed at me and threatened to break my legs.Also at the plant up on 15 mile for some reason the highly paid security guy has to put a seal on the truck when you enter.So I went to pull up slightly to give him some room and he told me to get the hell out of line and come back and stay at the guardhouse,then he would walk around to the back. I even sent a letter to Chrysler telling them these stories and received no reply. Of course the best plants are the GM ones,where you could keel over and die,3 days later your body would still be there as it!s not in their UAW Contract to do something about a dead body..

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
A few years ago when I ran for Thompson Emergency :( and ran a lot of GM freight I was threatened by this guy named Dennis in the hot freight section at the Ypsilanti engine plant. I kind of shrugged it off figuring he was joking around, but have now come to realize that physical threats are not legal even if on a plant's property. If any of these auto idiots even thinks about that again I will either take action with their supervisor or with the law. Amazingly I am always nice to these guys no matter how poorly they treat me- I'm very patient but don't take well to threats, even if they are empty.
--Weave-- (Just whining and blowing off some steam! :) :)

mikecop

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Lawrence mentioned the GM Baltimore plant. That is the craziest plant I have ever serviced. You check in via fax when you arrive, and based on which truck has the hottest freight is how you get called (via CB) to deliver to the docks.
I would hate to estimate how much money GM spends in detention time at that plant.
Some of the drivers will check in at the GM plant, and then go up to the Travel Port (I think it is now a T/A) to wait for plant security to call them to the docks.

Bearcat

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Time to get a tape recorder and get the threat on tape. Then sue the bastards. Don't think any of the automakers would like that to get in the papers so would likley settle. These days, a threat to do bodily harm is concidered a terroristic threat in my book. Wouldn't put up with it one bit.
Safe driving.
Randy

LittleBigTruck

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
> You check in via
>fax when you arrive, and
>based on which truck has
>the hottest freight is how
>you get called (via CB)
>to deliver to the docks.

But they don't tell you that they call you by CB! And they give you an approximate unload time. The one and only time I went there, they told us to be there by 0600 Mon, with a guaranteed unload time of 0100 the next day! This was AFTER it was offered to us as a confirmed delivery for Sat AM. AFTER we did a favor by picking up in Rochester during a snowstorm, when we were only 1 1/2 hrs from home. AND they wouldn't pay D-time, not even $50 for a motel, nothing! Whole thing was a nightmare, we went home after and stayed 2 weeks, I was so mad.

And I got written up for cussing at a dispatcher!

G

Weave: Sounds like we both encounterd the same "security professional" at Dearborn. Having hauled stuff for all the auto companies, I gotta say that as a whole (there ARE exceptions) Ford people are about as civil as they get. Any of 'em are better than that tub of :censoredsign: on the go cart at Flint V-6 plant.