fuel tax question

briggie1

Seasoned Expediter
i am in a sprinter and when i am indiana i fuel up in back with the trucks and use my dot numbers to get the cheaper price on fuel. is there any other states that have that would be worth it to fuel out back and get the tax break?

aquitted

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Indiana and Washington state are the only ones that discount the fuel with the D.O.T. #

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
The "exemption" is from sales tax only, which is common in Indiana for business-to-business or commercial transactions. Washington State does it, and Oregon does it if you have a PUCO number.

From the State of Indiana:
"Generally, a true “for hire” carrier will be exempted from sales tax on purchases used directly in the hauling of “for hire” activities. These carriers will normally obtain a Registered Retail Merchants Certificate (RRMC) and be given a number when completing exemption certificates."

"ICC/MC/US DOT numbers have nothing to do with being sales tax exempt on fuel or purchases. The key to sales tax exempt purchases (be it a vehicle, parts, or gasoline, etc.) is that the carrier must be in the business predominantly of “for hire” transportation and have a RRMC. NOTE: A RRMC/ICC/MC/US DOT only identifies the carrier; it does not mean that the carrier is actually sales tax exempt."

"A carrier may be both private and “for hire” or it may be in the business of manufacturing, but the predominate business income must be made from hauling “for hire” to be qualified for the sales tax exemption. Even then, the only purchases exempt from sales tax would be those used directly in the hauling “for hire” activities."
So, when you enter your DOT/ICC/MC number, if your carrier has obtained a RRMC and uses the correct form to file for the exemption, you'll get the "tax exempt" price at the pump.