Fuel surcharge cargo vans

Mike99

Veteran Expediter
How much FS carriers pays now ,when a gallon of gas is $2?I know before was approximative 20 cents per mile.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
FSC is based on the price of diesel fuel, not gasoline. It is based on whatever formula the specific carrier uses for their calculations.

Mike99

Veteran Expediter
My question was simple. The $2 gas price did affect in any way the FS or not? When you run a fleet based mainly on gas units why would you consider the diesel price? And the diesel did not went down?

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Diesel has come down some, but not nearly like gasoline has. It's still well over $3.00 a gallon just about anywhere in the US. So--- if the FSC is pegged to the price of diesel, it hasn't dropped anywhere near as sharply as it would if pegged to the price of gasoline.

The FSC I'm getting now has dropped 4 cents a mile from what it was just weeks ago. If it was based on gasoline, it would be much bigger drop.

Mike99

Veteran Expediter
Diesel has come down some, but not nearly like gasoline has. It's still well over $3.00 a gallon just about anywhere in the US. So--- if the FSC is pegged to the price of diesel, it hasn't dropped anywhere near as sharply as it would if pegged to the price of gasoline.

The FSC I'm getting now has dropped 4 cents a mile from what it was just weeks ago. If it was based on gasoline, it would be much bigger drop.

4 cents drop. Thanks

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
4 cents drop. Thanks

Fsc paid to vans is going to vary from fleet to fleet. Some companies pay none, some only a part of it and two that I can think of that pass it all on. So keep in mind the drop will be different depending on who you drive for.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The current f.s.c. at Panther for cargo vans is .16/mile. For most of 2014 it was .24/mile. In August it dropped to .23/mi. and continued to drop about a penny a month.

Running a gasser the f.s.c. pays for all my loaded mile fuel costs and puts an extra 4 to 6 cents/mile in my pocket.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
The current f.s.c. at Panther for cargo vans is .16/mile. For most of 2014 it was .24/mile. In August it dropped to .23/mi. and continued to drop about a penny a month.

Running a gasser the f.s.c. pays for all my loaded mile fuel costs and puts an extra 4 to 6 cents/mile in my pocket.

Running an 05 sprinter the f.s.c. pays for all my loaded mile fuel costs and puts an extra 2 to .4 cents/mile in my pocket. ...:p

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
What fsc? I had heard it was all in at your current carrier.

yep...it is now....:) and since we are competitive with everyone else on the block, one could extend that IF there were a break out price on the FSC it would be the same, there and abouts....

as long as the per mile rate is where I need it to be.....they could call it the "bowling fund" for all I care....:p

Last edited:

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
yep...it is now....:) and since we are competitive with everyone else on the block, one could extend that IF there were a break out price on the FSC it would be the same, there and abouts....

So are you seeing a reduction in your rates as the price of fuel drops? I should be directing this question to Bill or Murray. Bill Murray?

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Not in my base rate. As I stated my f.s.c. has dropped. I want to know if overall rates are declining as the price of fuel drops. Bill Murray?

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Not in my base rate. As I stated my f.s.c. has dropped. I want to know if overall rates are declining as the price of fuel drops. Bill Murray?

logically everyone's rates should drop as the fuel price declines....either All in carriers and or FSC break out carriers....I remember when it was like in the mid .20's cents at one time over at E1....