Fuel prices are we getting oiled?

csands007

Seasoned Expediter
I remember around about 3/4 years ago when crude oil went to $60.00 a barrel gas went to $3.00 gallon and diesel went higher than gas then too. But why when oil is close to $100.00 a barrel why is gas still around $3.00 a gallon still. was we getting oiled last 4 years? Why don't congress inspect the oil companies now? Ok I know the answer its because they are bed fellows with oil companies.
Chuck

raynchk

Seasoned Expediter
Scary part about it is no one seems to even be complaining...

Early in 2000 VP Cheney had an 'energy conference' at the white house. The conference stirred up a little controversy because one of the financial watchdog agencies wanted the minutes of the meetings made public, claiming that the meetings and plans of our elected leaders should be available to the public. The white house disagreed and took the case to the supreme court and -- won. Soon after, everything changed...

Fuel was a LOT cheaper back then..

I sure do wonder what was discussed and who was at that meeting. Might make a good HBO special.

csands007

Seasoned Expediter
Was in Chicago last of Jan when Bush took office the fuel was 1.29 and over night it went to 2.59. Three days later Sen James M Jeffords quit the Republican party then Leiberman came out after Democrats took control of senate and called for an inquiry on fuel price it came down within 2 days, No inquiry was ever done...go figure
Chuck

greg334

Veteran Expediter
You know that it has nothing to do with the conspiracy theories floating around there.

There are a number of reasons why fuel is really high, the lack of refineries, the fact that we don't explore or exploit our own oil, the problem that the taxes on fuel are out of control (Michigan will be raising it again and on top of all of it is a sales tax), in the case of Diesel we have a competitive use for it in the home heating oil supply, and the profits of the distributors and station owners have never been higher.

I won't go into the problems with reformulated fuels.

If you expect something to happen with the dems in power, got to remind you that they, like the repubs all receive money from the oil companies just like they do with the pharma companies - there is no difference between the two.

csands007

Seasoned Expediter
>If you expect something to happen with the dems in power,
>got to remind you that they, like the repubs all receive
>money from the oil companies just like they do with the
>pharma companies - there is no difference between the two.

First thing I said "Ok I know the answer its because they are bed fellows with oil companies". Did not say if Dems in control. I wholeheartly believe not much difference in the two parties but do believe when we have both parties in contol of at least one segment either house, senate or president and other has at least one too then these YOYO's have to work a little together to get things done. To me they, both parties cater to big business and the H**L with the common people, if they would just listen to us for a change.

I say if here illegal round them up send them back
Chuck

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Sometimes I do think it is a conspiricy of sorts. Or it seems like it. Prices are high now because of the futures market. Esentially saying that the world demand (not the US) is too high and we will run out. Purchasing foreign oil with a falling dollar isn't helping either.
But, I do wonder about somethings. Oil rose when Katrina hit. Then no hurricanes,,,,so we have a large refinery fire. Prices still up. Then followed by Exxon shutting a pipline down in Alaska because of poor maintenance. Ummm...........now it is the futures market. There currently is no shortage yet prices are climbing.
Carriers better be paying attention and keep their customers informed or they will have a lot more dealings with Pedro's Mexican Express.

Davekc
owner
23 years
PantherII
EO moderator

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Actually Dave, BP shut the line down in Prudhoe Bay Alaska.

The other thing is you're right about the futures market and oil.

And about Mexico, the price of diesel over the boarder is cheap and subsidized. The people on this side of the border better be really scared because the fuel prices that they pay give them a big advantage over us.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Oops....you are correct in that it was BP with "rust" in the pipeline. I had Exxon on the brain for some reason.
My bad.

As far as Mexico, you are correct. I seen on the news wire a month ago that some of these new Mexican carriers were going to 400 gallon capacity per tractor to avoid buying US fuel. Probably won't be paying any road or fuel tax either.

Davekc
owner
23 years
PantherII
EO moderator

Robsdad

Seasoned Expediter
With one more year of the present administration stick around there is probably a greasin on the way as well. G.Bush/Cheney and big business.
What a deal for the workin man.

copdsux

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
On the world oil market, we are competing with "booming" economies, such as India & China, for the resources available. More demand=higher prices.

hdxpedx

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
SEIRRA CLUB is blocking the billion+ bbl's of oil in Alaska plus off-shore..Speculators have little market supply w/ every kaos move around the world!! Email your US Senators..Bring down Seirra Club w/ a competitive org.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Exxon is blames for the 'high' profits but no one seems to remember that they owned (or leased) a lot of the sources of oil and optioned a lot when the price was really low, so the profits were not out of line with any other company that has raw material to finish product capiblities.

Also if anyone wants to talk about big business and Bush, I have to point to the pharma companies and Clintons. As much as you can claim that big businesses are in control, you need to go back and invesitgate what the Pharma companies got for their support of clinton in the '92 and '96 election and how they actually been doing business since. Many leftist/liberals forget somethings like the gutting of the development policies and the creation of fast tracking of drugs program which were under Clinton's administration, let alone the gutting of the FDA in food safety and deregulation of some of the programs designed to keep us safe.

The demand for oil on the market has little to do with our problems right now. We have enough crude, it is that we have reduced refining power and we stopped looking for oil within our borders. While we worry about the mussels in the gulf, or the tourist who can't see the oil rigs from the shores of Florida, we are allowing Cuba, China and Mexico to explore for oil off our shores. We should open everything up, in the gulf, all of Alaska and the great lakes to find more sources, the risk is so small that something will happen and history has shown that if something happens, nature bounces back. IN truth to get us off of oil, we must first have a stable economy and more oil with incentives (tax reform) to actually do this without destroying the country.

The question that I am wondering lately about is why is Japan using Alaskan crude to sell to the Iranians and Chinese?

greg334

Veteran Expediter
>Sorry no leftists liberal here. Just using common sense.

Yep your right, sorry to use that moniker.

tallcal101

Veteran Expediter
As well you should be sorry Mr.Greg!Call me that lothsome handle and you will be apologizing for the next year!!
Mr. Cheney and the CEO's of the oil companies did indeed have a little pow wow at the end for the summer of 2000.I rememebr the day,and where I was.I owned only one truck at the time,and was making money hand over over fist.
When people dared to ask about that little pow wow,and then demanded,it was clear to me that we would be seeing the end to our democracy as we had prieviously known it.It was the start of the shredding of our constituional rights by this mad cap bunch.
We are a far less free nation at this time.An outragious energy policy is the just the tip of the iceberg.And don't even start to blame the Sierra Club.We have been sold down the river on each and every squalid and reprehensable approach to running this great Republic that these lieing and thieving gentlemen could get away with.
I believe if the notes and transcrips of that little pow wow were released(which the will be evetually)even Leo would trade his Red in for a little blue.Don't mark my words,but I might take a small wager on it.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Reports have it there's is not that much oil under Alaska to make a significent difference in the situation...I for one say leave it there!

Now if you want to do something worthwhile...make speculating illegal! They are the real villians..NOT shortages Not refining...SPECULATORS!!
Those Wall street nerds.

csands007

Seasoned Expediter
You drive thru TX, OK, AZ, NM, UTAL, CO, and few others you see many wells ready to pump but they are capped off. Why, In 1974 worked for a trucking company moving oil Dercks and it was out of Vernal Utal, we did work in NM, AZ, CO and Utal they hit many gushers then. Recently talked to a friend there who is still still doing job with same company and the wells are still being drilled. But are being capped off,At 40.00 per barrel was to costly to pump why not now?
Chuck

greg334

Veteran Expediter
" As well you should be sorry Mr.Greg!Call me that lothsome handle and you will be apologizing for the next year!!"

Well Tallcal, it seems to me that I have called you that before, so what can I say.

But also I got to point out that Hillary back in the day was deciding for the entire nation behind closed doors about what our healthcare system was going to be like if she got her way. I also think I recall recently that Billy put a stop to releasing emails and other info between him and his unelected wife and she won't release that info that sits in his library and massage parlor. Oh yea, I also recall that Sandy Berger did some behind the scenes work for both Hillary and billy when the 9.11 commission was in session that was one of the worst cases of espionage in this country's history and he should have been executed by firing squad but your friends there and the Bush administration didn't think it was serious enough to charge him with a real crime - that most hated Bush administration with the corrupt justice department that is hated for firing some insignificant attorneys but forget they came to help berger. Is there some disparity here when you really compare apples to apples - even though they are rotten apples.

The energy policy does not matter guys/gals - it is up to us to do things and one thing we can do is start thinking about how we can change the way we live for the better.

Oh yea one more thing Tallcal, I think that ALGORE should never have ever been considered for a NPP let alone win - he has proven NOTHING and handed out a lot of misinformation but with that said I think that there is a liberal Hollywood type that really deserves the NPP, Ed Begely jr and his "take action yourself" attitude. There is not much I can disagree with from his camp.

hdxpedx

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
SPECULATORS are market mind-set reaction!! Open more oil valves around this country, then they would relax!! I've been to Alaska and seen Japanese ships loading pipeline oil and timber. US sells that oil directly into the world markets. No extra refinery's. no extra fuel!! Sierra Club-- hello??

raynchk

Seasoned Expediter
Greg, do you really see nothing wrong with the white house withholding information the GAO was requesting about that energy summit in 2000? What bearing does the Clinton administration, or the Nixon administration or FDR have on our current political leaders. We pay the salaries of these guys, they're accountable to us. Remember.. "Of the people, by the people, for the people.."?

I don't disagree with you about Clinton(s), the health care situation was not workable nor is Hillary's current plan. Talk about placating the insurance/pharmaceutical companies under the guise of 'giving everyone healthcare'. Bill was also a co-conspirator in the NAFTA program and carried out what Bush 1 began (read Mexican trucks on our Highways). He really jumped in bed with China and if I remember correctly helped them get a couple of super computers which they're now using for their military/nuclear/weaponry programs. Not to mention the increased trade deficit created as we have become more and more reliant on their mfg. All things I'm sure we'll regret in the not too distant future.

I believe our current administration has taken matters to an entirely different level of secrecy. Accountability is practically non-existant, and instead of cigars and blue dresses, we're debating the legality of *sorta* drowning prisoners, and scratching our heads wondering why Blackwater is guarding our VIP's.

The war in Iraq hasn't given us the oil (independence) we wanted, at least not yet. It has "collaterally" driven oil costs sky high. Look at the relationship between cost increases and the saber rattling with Iran. We threaten Iran, the price goes up, Turkey threatens the Kurds, price goes up, not to mention that guy in Venezuela.. etc, etc...

I did read your other posts about the lack of refining capabilities. Isn't it obvious that limited refinery capability helps drive up the price of fuel? I really doubt if the old argument about the Sierra Club stopping the big oil companies from building more refineries will hold up in today's world.

Democrat.. Republican.. I can't see a big difference. As long as lobbyists have the ability to pedal dollars and influence in Washington, we're always going to have the best government money can buy.

Finally, I heard something on XM the other day. Some Harvard business professor has written a book questioning whether or not business degree programs have served the community as promised a hundered or so years back when they were petitioning to be added to college cirriculums. He poses a question I believe to be relevant:

"Is the function of the corporation to serve the worker, the community or the stockholder?"