Fuel hand pump primer replacement

Deville

Not a Member
The hand priming pump on my 3126b will not stay in the locked position anymore. I think it maybe sucking air into the system since it's always in the open position & leaking fuel because the truck is running rough from time to time.

I want to replace the hand pump. Is it as simple as taking the two bolts off removing the pump & gasket & putting the new one on? How much should I tourge the bolts, & should I remove the fuel filter before removing the pump?

pandora2112

Seasoned Expediter
PM spongebox he replaced ours...he's driving and I'm not the mechanic beyond the basics! :)

Sent from my VS910 4G using EO Forums mobile app

spongebox1

Expert Expediter
The hand priming pump on my 3126b will not stay in the locked position anymore. I think it maybe sucking air into the system since it's always in the open position & leaking fuel because the truck is running rough from time to time.

I want to replace the hand pump. Is it as simple as taking the two bolts off removing the pump & gasket & putting the new one on? How much should I tourge the bolts, & should I remove the fuel filter before removing the pump?

Its easy to do, I would take the filter off before, not sure of the torque but I would use new bolts and some thread lock, after its on replace filter and pump the system back up, after you start it up keep it at high rpm to push the remaining air out

Sent from my VS910 4G using EO Forums mobile app

jeffman164

Seasoned Expediter
Notice that some 3126's have two fuel filters . A water separator filter and a primary filter - and some only have the primary filter . Can you just add a second one on if it only has one or could it have a negative effect since it wasn't standard from the factory ? Never could understand why two weren't the norm for all 3126's produced .

Deville

Not a Member
Notice that some 3126's have two fuel filters . A water separator filter and a primary filter - and some only have the primary filter . Can you just add a second one on if it only has one or could it have a negative effect since it wasn't standard from the factory ? Never could understand why two weren't the norm for all 3126's produced .

I had always thought that the primary filter was the one with the pump on it. I've been told that is not the case. The Primary is the filter with the water seporator on it. I'm still not sure to be honest with u.

jeffman164

Seasoned Expediter
Deville - I would have to agree with you on this one since some don't have two filters . And if it only has one filter - then in these parts - we call that the PRIMARY one . LOL .

Deville

Not a Member
Quick update..I replaced the hand pump today. It really is as easy as removing the two bolts & swapping out pumps. I did not even have to take my filter off to do the job. One of the easiest jobs you can do on the 3126.