Frozen Lift Gate??

eporter801

Rookie Expediter
Anyone have advice on how to unstick my frozen lift gate in the freezing cold? Works fine otherwise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tknight

Veteran Expediter
Sometimes I've had to use a pry bar to start it lowering till I can stand on it and add weight the fluid turns to tar in the cold and it takes some help once down and open the added weight of the tail flap helps it

Reactions: Moot

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
If TK's method doesn't work use a propane torch to lightly heat hydraulics and pivot points. You should also check with the manufacturer about recommended low temperature hydraulic fluid and grease.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Maybe a hair dryer if you have a power source available.

Rollinout2

Seasoned Expediter
Fleet Owner
I had this very same issue with a Maxon l/g on my class 8......Keep an extra fuse in the cab at all times, then try swapping out the frozen fuse with a warm fuse when you need the l/g......worked every time for me.

tknight

Veteran Expediter
I had this very same issue with a Maxon l/g on my class 8......Keep an extra fuse in the cab at all times, then try swapping out the frozen fuse with a warm fuse when you need the l/g......worked every time for me.

That's a new one I've never heard of a frozen fuse! And I'm a state licensed electrician.ImageUploadedByEO Forums1454357844.192259.jpg
This is typically the breaker for almost all lift gates on trucks it's 50 amps. They're located usually in the battery box inline with the 4 gauge power line feeding the motor for they pump in the rear.

Last edited:

Rollinout2

Seasoned Expediter
Fleet Owner
I've had this lock up/ frozen l/g issue many times, even on my class 7 local Chicago truck. I'm only relaying what has worked for me. The 2000 Maxon that Jay Mott spec'd on the 2000 class 8 FXcc WG units there is a inline fuse in the motor compartment of the l/g....the circuit breaker you show was something I added to the battery box of the truck later, but the l/g still responded to the fuse swap below 20 degrees. Its was the least expensive and easiest remedy suggested by my 'wrench' with over 35 years of roadside repair experience and it worked the first and every time............but by all means take a torch to it instead. What could possibly go wrong?

Reactions: Turtle

tknight

Veteran Expediter
The only thing I can see there with a fuse is moisture on the contacts making it break contact and changing it out clears the ice jam so to speak is the fuse blown ? When you changed it out ? Or still good and your refreshing the content is by removing its