Front seat, weight, etc.

Billy The Impaler

Rookie Expediter
Researching
US Air Force
Continuing talks with the guy I'm thinking of contracting to do the modifications. He says:

Removing the front seat would void the warranty due to what it would do to the air bag and create liability for him so he won't do that.

Anybody ever order a Transit with no front seat? Can it come from the factory like that without voiding the warranty?

Also, I showed him a picture of a van interior with full shelves, might have been Turtle's or that Apax guy's. This guy prefers to build half-height cabinets with lids. Says he can do those shelves but cautions against it adding too much weight. Think that's a realistic concern here? I'll have a chest type fridge and a couple-three methods of cooking, so I'll need a pantry somewhere plus clothes storage, equipment, etc.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
He is partially wrong about the warranty. It will not "void the warranty". It "might" void the warranty on the airbag system if there is an airbag in that seat. The Magnusson-Moss Act is very clear on warranties. Basically, if you do something that affects system or part(s) A the warranty for A can potentially be denied because of what was done. But unless it can be shown irrefutably that that action affected system or part(s) B or C or F or K or T the warranty still applies to those. So if the seat was removed and then there was a problem with the A/C or transmission or brakes or door hinges the warranty would cover them unless it was proven somehow removing the seat caused the brakes to fail. And it also may still apply to the remainder of A depending on just what the problem is.

danthewolf00

Veteran Expediter
There should be a yellow wire that goes up into the bottom of the passenger seat to tell the system that someone is sitting in the seat.