Frequest Fueler points for gas burning expediters

Heffard

Seasoned Expediter
I have been driving for over 2 years. I have been in a 04 GMC 16' (old Penske) truck since October.
Buying fuel from Pilot/Flying J, there hasn't been a consistint application to if, as an expediter, I earn points for buying gasoline. I have earned showers.
After the last confrontation with a clerk who insisted that expediters don't get points for gas, I contacted Pilot. The following is a result of that email:
Thank you for taking time to email me with your concern. Sir there has been confusion on
this question since the beginning of the program. Gasoline fueling has never earned
points.

That being said, many cashiers, and many managers, have assumed that if diesel does get
points, gas should also. It probably has been another point of confusion that the card
for expediters is the same as the Pro Driver Program. However, the last clerk you spoke
with had the correct information.

Gasoline drivers do not get points, just showers.

Sincerely,
Jerilyn Majors
PFJ Customer Service

cableguymn

Seasoned Expediter
I've been using the SA/Speedway points program. I am not sure if you can get showers (don't really care.. I'm out less than 24 hours) but man can you get some good fuel discounts. I got a dollar a gallon off today.

They don't care if it's gas/diesel/propane/food/soda.. you get points based on the total purchase before tax.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
The Frequent Fueler Advantage program on the PilotFlyingJ Web site lists the benefits, and points for gas is not listed. It never has been.

The old Flying J frequent Fueler program gave points for gas, but that was a different program before the merger with Pilot. Pilot never has (officially) given points for gas, before or since the merger.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Well this is the 3rd forum this has appeared in..wonder how many of the other forums it will show up in...:rolleyes:

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Jeez, it is posted in the Soapbox. How about I post in the Women's View forum?

darrellndawn

Active Expediter
The problem I am having with Pilot/Flying J is that, quite often, they do not allow for the addition of showers when you purchase gas, either. I was told on Monday (now Wednesday 02/22/2012) that they no longer offer showers for gas customers, either. There was "no markup" for them to allow the accumulation of shower credits any longer as well, unless you are a "professional trucker, buying diesel fuel."

Personally, I take offense to both parts of that comment - I *AM* a professional driver, with a Class A CDL, no points on my license, and a little over 700,000 accident-free miles. As an expediter, because the owner I work for only has gasoline-powered vans, I am now excluded from getting the "perks and benefits" of a "professional" driver. The irony is that if I had an RV frequent fuel card (and only used it for 3000-4000 miles per year, instead of 2000 +/- miles PER WEEK), I would actually qualify for fuel discounts on gasoline and also the collection of rewards points. But, according to Pilot and Flying J, offering those rewards to people who visit considerably more often is "not profitable" for them.

Based on that, and the rudeness that Flying J and Pilot workers have when dealing with drivers who don't fit their narrow view of "professional," I have personally decided to spare them from having to deal with my profits. I have a T/A card and a Loves card - THEY want my business... and they shall get it. If Pilot and Flying J want me to start using their facilities again, and purchasing my fuel and other items at their locations, then they should give me a reason to fuel there, NOT provide a multitude of reasons for me to use their competitors.

OK, I've said enough for now...off to the T/A I go!

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
Have you tried to use the shower/points system at TA/Petro? It'll make you miss PFJ'S. There, you don't get credited at the pump; you have to go to the fuel desk afterward, and you still might not get your points or shower credits for 2 weeks.

I haven't heard Love's has any similar program.

--

You know the problem with bad cops? They make the other 5% look bad.

cableguymn

Seasoned Expediter
I see these problems still have not been addressed by TPTB at these truck stops... When I ran OTR I had a diesel van. But found I liked to be clean more offen than they liked to give me a shower for fuel purchases..

I stocked up on this. http://www.norinse.com/.

Honestly, near the end of my OTR run I used those products 100% and avoided the truck stop showers completely.

Heffard

Seasoned Expediter
Does Loves offer anything for gasoline buyers? Last I heard, they don't.

I will agree with you. I am new to driving, no CDL, but I buy enough fuel that I think I deserve more than just showers. It takes 2 fill-ups to earn a shower at P/FJ. I am done chasing free showers.

My employer is doing away with Comdata Fuel cards (Which was why I sought out P/FJ. Just because a place is a "Truck Stop" does NOT mean they can accept Comdata for GASOLINE purchases. I can now buy fuel anywhere. February is probably the last month my truck gets over $1500 of fuel from P/FJ.

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
Does Loves offer anything for gasoline buyers? Last I heard, they don't.

I will agree with you. I am new to driving, no CDL, but I buy enough fuel that I think I deserve more than just showers. It takes 2 fill-ups to earn a shower at P/FJ. I am done chasing free showers.

My employer is doing away with Comdata Fuel cards (Which was why I sought out P/FJ. Just because a place is a "Truck Stop" does NOT mean they can accept Comdata for GASOLINE purchases. I can now buy fuel anywhere. February is probably the last month my truck gets over $1500 of fuel from P/FJ.

So where do you plan to get your showers? Just going to pay for them? Even non-truck stop gas stations make next to nothing on a gallon of gas, which is why their convenience store process are so high; that's where they make their profit.

--

cableguymn

Seasoned Expediter
So where do you plan to get your showers? Just going to pay for them? Even non-truck stop gas stations make next to nothing on a gallon of gas, which is why their convenience store process are so high; that's where they make their profit.

--

believe it or not.. States like Minnesota mandate a minimum profit. It's not much, and it mainly gets eaten by credit card fees. That is why I always try to pay cash for my fuel.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
good thing I don;t run the J/Pilot or any other truck stop....with the retail value of $12.00 for a shower...a van purchase I couldn't afford to change a garbage bag...no profit...I would discontinue the van program immediately....