freight

fortwayne

Not a Member
Greg -
Man, dude, you need to chill out - I am by far not being defensive. I am simply stating facts. You are trying to make something out of nothing. Forget about all the sales pitch language all of the expedite companies have on their websites.
Heck, if we were to pay attention to all that mumble jumble - they would all be the best, they would all be different than the competition and they would all be the greatest thing since sliced pita bread. (yum, now I made myself hungry)
And as far as the o/o you speak of with Panther that is moaning about not getting work - how many load offers does he turn down, how often is he late on his pickups and dropoffs, that could explain why he is not busy. I run 90% of everything offered me and I have a 100% on time performance - I stay plenty busy. In fact, I have had three days off, by my choosing - to go home for a weekend. If he turns down 2,3, or 4 out of every ten loads he is offered and is late why should dispatch waste their time with him - when they can call me and other drivers with better acceptance and performance marks.
Our companies are what the customer and the drivers make them. Not what the company say on a website or sales brochure. Like I said we are as good as our drivers - any company big or small.

Fort Wayne
100% - It Is A Mindset!

iheartfaye

Expert Expediter
Greg,

Have you ever looked up passive/aggressive in the dictionary.

By stating "I am not knocking xyz" then you do exactly that....come on. I assume you are out of high school so grow up.

You made a comment about some ambiguous terminology on the Panther website. I sent back some examples showing some of the FECC examples of the exact same thing.

It seems if anyone has issues feeling diminuitive it must be you because you are the one continually putting down another company on this thread.

Putting a question mark on a statement is another tactic by passive/aggressives.

For example: Is Greg really insecure about his own success as an owner/operator since he has to belittle others without any provocation? Is that a question just because of the punctuation, or is it a statement?

Often, people really don't know what they don't know. Case in point was some of the really not high profile companies, yeah real players in the freight business that you mentioned, leaving out some very obvious companies who are the real leaders in the freight business.

By the way, if you have never seen a FedEx 727 sitting on its tail on the ramp at CVG because they don't know how to load a freaking plane, it really is a great sight. They might want to start keeping one of the AAA containers in the door like they are supposed to. Now that is what I call a "one call" service failure.

Again, the point is made. Any person on this site can point out absolutely silly claims and statements, and policies by every expedite and traditional freight company ever to have been in existence. I personally don't know how any company I have ever worked for or contracted with has stayed in business because of their inefficiences.

I also note that you don't discredit that all the companies use each other. Holy cow, I often am not allowed to give the end customer ANY paperwork except for my pro bill so they cannot see how the shipment got to them.

I guess the only way to make you happy is that all Panther o/o should just bow down and praise the almight FECC. Or maybe we could search the archives and pull up the old threads from FECC contractors stating they depleted their savings because they couldn't pay their bills on the one load a week that FECC gave them.

I guarantee that you could find a thread for every carrier where people that haven't really researched the business and try to run it on the fly have failed miserably.

As far as Panther and assets. I guess you skipped the paragraph about Fenway. I didn't mention them by name, I guess I assumed you were aware of the fact that just the funds they manage total over $1.6 billion. Do you have a laptop? Fenway owns Targus, I am sure you have some Targus accessories. Targus is also an OEM manufacturer for IBM, HP, and Dell. Do you watch football? Yep, Riddell helmets, owned by Fenway. Do you sleep? Yep, Simmons mattresses, you guessed it...Fenway. Do you watch auto racing? Yep, Bell Helmets.....Fenway. Ever seen a Roadlink tractor/trailer on the road (largest independent intermodal carrier in North America by the way)...Fenway. How about the dozens of other trucking companies and logistics companies they own? .....Gemini, Edison, minority stake in Greatwide, etc. How about Coach America, the largest motor coach operator in the US.....Fenway. Ever bought a burrito or taco from Walmart....Delimex, owned by Fenway. Assuming you went to school and got a yearbook, yep, American Achievement Corporation who makes yearbooks and classrings.....owned by Fenway.

This is just a sampling of the assets. You are really embarrassing yourself. Keep up the good work.

iheartfaye

Expert Expediter
"brokerage company that has no assets except software"

So, Greg, how many trucks does FedEx own?

MEMPHIS, Tenn. - Though FedEx Corp. was built on a cargo airline, its trucking business is now a big-time moneymaker and a tough competitor for its chief rival, UPS Inc.

But the shipping giant's trucking division, FedEx Ground, is now embroiled in a growing labor fight that could raise operating costs by millions and lead to an overhaul of its work force.

The argument centers on the more than 14,000 drivers of those trucks with the purple and green "FedEx" on the side that make thousands of stops each day at homes and businesses across America.

The drivers are independent contractors who own the trucks, pay all operating costs and get no company benefits.

But drivers in Tennessee, California, Massachusetts, Minnesota, South Dakota and elsewhere are suing FedEx, arguing the company skirts worker protection laws by refusing to hire them as employees eligible for overtime pay, health insurance, workers' compensation and other benefits. They also want to be reimbursed for back operating expenses and lost benefits.

FedEx Ground, headquartered in Pittsburgh, was created seven years ago amid a reorganization of the parent company, which also owns FedEx Express, the world's largest cargo airline.

The unit brought in almost $4.7 billion in revenue out of Fedex Corp.'s $29.4 billion total for the last fiscal year that ended May 31. The company has consistently described the FedEx Ground division as one of the primary reasons for a steady increase in corporate earnings. Ground's operating income grew 16 percent to $604 million in fiscal 2005.

A victory by the unhappy drivers would raise employee costs and force FedEx Ground to maintain its own fleet of trucks, said University of Memphis business professor David Ciscel.

"FedEx Ground would feel this dramatically," Ciscel said. "It would have to be reorganized."

Spokesman Perry Colosimo said FedEx Ground is confident it can win in court and has no intention of changing the way it does business. The independent-contractor system, he said, keeps shipping prices competitive and allows the drivers to run their own small businesses.

"It has served our customers well," Colosimo said.

The drivers say FedEx controls just about everything they do - the hours they work, where and when they pick up or deliver packages, how they maintain their trucks, even how they dress. FedEx also prohibits drivers from using their trucks to carry non-FedEx shipments.

"They're calling these drivers independent contractors, but they're really employees," said Christopher Gilreath, a lawyer for a group of Memphis drivers who filed suit against FedEx in federal court last month.

Gilreath said more than a dozen similar suits are planned or have been filed around the country. The lawsuits directly affect small groups of current or former drivers, and some plaintiffs have already sought class-action status that could expand the reach of court rulings.

A state court in Los Angeles decided last year that one category of contract drivers for FedEx Ground should be treated as company employees. FedEx has said it will appeal.

FedEx Corp. referred to the contract-driver dispute in a Securities and Exchange Commission report early this year saying the company "cannot yet determine the amount of potential loss in these matters, if any."

Despite FedEx Ground's confidence, court fights over the use of independent contractors are complicated, said Gary Johnson, whose Fort Wayne, Ind., law firm advises businesses on labor matters.

The arguments center on how much independence contractors have. If work is too tightly controlled, courts can order employers to hire them with the same benefits and legal protections other company workers enjoy.

"It's always a balancing test," Johnson said.

Many companies run into legal trouble, he said, when they try to categorize workers who should be on regular payrolls as temporary employees or independent contractors.

"The true independent contractor is the guy you hire to put a new roof on your house," he said. "You've hired him for a job to be done, and you exert very little control over how he does it."

FedEx cranked up its competition with Atlanta-based UPS in 1998 when it bought several trucking operations, including RPS Inc. which later became FedEx Ground. RPS had relied on contract drivers since its creation in 1985.

Drivers for UPS are company employees driving company-owned trucks.

FedEx Express is still the heart of FedEx Corp., and the airline has a fleet of 40,000 trucks, with purple and orange logos, driven by company employees.

The Colography Group Inc., an Atlanta-based company that advises clients on shipping and logistics, says about half the packages delivered by FedEx in the United States are now carried by FedEx Ground.

Ted Scherck, Colography Group's president, said customers don't care who owns the trucks that deliver their packages.

"I don't think the marketplace issues would be as severe as just the institutional disruption," he said. "You would, in effect, have to figure out how to set up a whole new work force, and that's not an easy thing to do."

Independent drivers who own their own trucks have long played a major role in the shipping industry, Scherck said.

"I believe the vast majority of FedEx's owner-operators consider themselves just that," he said. "They don't consider themselves employees."

FedEx Corp. has often been praised as a good company to work for, but it has had labor troubles before.

It has steadfastly held off attempts by the Teamsters to unionize company drivers, and when the expansion into trucking began, FedEx was wrapping up a bitter five-year fight with its airline pilots.

The pilots, the corporation's only U.S. employees represented by a union, threatened a Christmas-holiday strike in 1998 but backed down when FedEx started leasing planes and flight crews from other companies.

While the struggle with FedEx Ground drivers is not about organized labor, "it's really a union demand without a union," Ciscel said. "These truckers are trying to tell them how to run FedEx Ground, and they don't like it."

FedEx Corp.: www.fedex.com

Source: Charleston Gazette, The

iheartfaye

Expert Expediter
"no way to give the panther trucks work’ (not my comment but one of your fellow panther fleet owner’s)," ----another great Greg quote

Another article proving Greg is again right and that FedEx is just a great company:

Philadelphia Inquirer: FedEx, Workers Battle Over Vote to Organize First Drivers Union

December 18, 2005

In December, when Santa contracts out some of his package-delivery work, drivers at FedEx fly down the highways, typically starting before sunrise and finishing long after dark.
But this year, some of the reindeer are so unhappy that they have voted to unionize.

About two dozen South Jersey drivers are poised to become the first to form a collective-bargaining unit at the ground-delivery division of FedEx Corp., the package-delivery company based in Memphis that had revenue last year of $29.4 billion.

Their efforts continue even with FedEx in its busiest season, moving as many as 8.5 million packages daily.

The drivers' hours are long, their pay is low, they say, and some who work or have worked at the FedEx Ground depot in Barrington, Camden County, complain that their managers routinely threaten to take away their routes.

"If you get to eat lunch, you're lucky," said Mike Tofaute from Medford Lakes, Burlington County, a leader of the drivers' association.

Tofaute keeps an empty Apple & Eve juice bottle in his truck so he does not have to stop to use the bathroom. On Wednesday, he had to deliver 167 packages at 134 stops.

"What we've done is groundbreaking, no matter how you look at it," Tofaute said. "To take on a company like FedEx... . There were just 28 guys, and we prevailed." The drivers voted, 14-8, to unionize, but the results are being contested.

The move toward a union comes even as a federal lawsuit coalesces over whether drivers for the FedEx Ground division are employees or independent contractors, as the company argues.

In July, a state court in California ruled that drivers there were FedEx employees and later awarded 200 of them $5.3 million in damages to compensate them for business expenses they had paid, such as truck insurance. FedEx filed an appeal this month.

On its Web site, FedEx Ground vows to fight the lawsuit and says the truck drivers are independent contractors who run their own businesses and can gross $80,000 to $120,000, before they pay for their trucks and gasoline.

"Each of these contractors runs independent businesses," FedEx Ground spokesman Perry Colosimo said.

The Barrington drivers' story touches on two important aspects of labor management—the unionization of target companies and the often complicated definition of independent contractors.

In 2000, for example, Microsoft Corp. paid $97 million to settle a case involving the classification of employees as independent contractors.

Whether a driver is an independent contractor becomes a key issue in unionization. Employees are entitled to unionize, but independent contractors are not.

"As a tactic of avoiding unionization this is very effective," said Philip Harvey, an assistant professor who specializes in employment law at Rutgers University in Camden. Organizing is much more difficult, Harvey said, "if it is not clear who the employee is."

Labor organizations such as the AFL-CIO have long counted FedEx, along with Wal-Mart Stores Inc. and Comcast Corp., as a priority for unionization. The firms are nationally prominent and their businesses are in competition with unionized companies.

FedEx competes directly with UPS Inc. and DHL, whose drivers are employees represented by the Teamsters.

"With DHL and UPS treating drivers the way they should treat them, it puts them at a disadvantage," said David McMahon, of Deptford, a former FedEx driver who says his contract was terminated for union activism at the Barrington depot.

Colosimo would not comment on McMahon's situation.

FedEx, McMahon said, gets a delivery fleet without having to buy trucks, gasoline or insurance. "FedEx can low-ball" its competitors, said McMahon, who now drives for DHL.

But FedEx does not low-ball its competitors, said Satish Jindel, a shipping consultant in the Pittsburgh suburb of Sewickley. On average, he said, FedEx customers pay slightly more per package ($6.70 compared with $6.29 for UPS) and its profit margins are narrower.

FedEx has grown, he said, because customers want more than one choice. "FedEx has also benefited from labor unrest at UPS," Jindel said. When the Teamsters went on strike against UPS in 1997, "they helped FedEx gain business."

The Barrington drivers were spurred into action by the California case. They strategized over coffee at New Jersey diners, and on June 30 they voted in a union election supervised by the National Labor Relations Board in Philadelphia. The vote was made possible by a ruling on June 1 by the NLRB's regional director, Dorothy L. Moore-Duncan, that the drivers were employees and entitled to hold an election.

Six additional ballots are being contested in the unionization vote, but the drivers behind the effort say they have the votes to win. "It was a group effort," Tofaute said.

The group is not affiliated with a big-name union, such as the Teamsters, which was unable to organize a FedEx depot in North Jersey last year. The Barrington group calls itself the FXG-HD Drivers Association, which stands for FedEx Ground and Home Delivery.

"FedEx wasn't used to fighting a labor organization that wasn't a union," said Anthony Marchetti Jr., of the Delran law firm Cureton Caplan and a former Teamsters organizer who represents the drivers.

Also on the case is firm partner Jerald R. Cureton, a former union-busting lawyer. They will be among the lawyers in the national independent contractor case against FedEx—a consolidation of 31 federal cases filed around the country that will be administered in South Bend, Ind.

Cureton told the drivers what they could expect from FedEx. "I knew because I used to do it," Cureton said. Cureton has filed unfair-labor-practice charges in Philadelphia against FedEx for terminating the contracts of union supporters including McMahon and Frank Cucinotti of Hammonton, N.J.

"Nothing could be further from the truth about these allegations," said Colosimo, who would not address specific cases. "Trial lawyers and union organizers have shown us that they will say anything and represent anybody for their financial gain. Clearly this situation is no different."

Tofaute said he had been warned about the potential effects of an organizing effort. "Jerry told us there would be casualties and there were—more than we expected."

He said FedEx brought in managers who helped some workers load their trucks and took them out for happy hours at local bars. Union supporters were segregated into one part of the depot, which became known as "Death Row," Tofaute said.

Tofaute, McMahon and Cucinotti said they were attracted to FedEx by advertisements that said, "Be Your Own Boss" and "Control Your Destiny."

They bought trucks from the FedEx-mandated dealer, figuring they would be able to work on their own schedules. If they needed to, they could expand, hiring additional drivers and buying more trucks.

"They try to paint a picture of partnership, but you are actually an employee—an employee paying all the bills," Cucinotti said. He said he could hire only drivers or helpers approved by FedEx, and that these drivers would sometimes be fired—not by him but by FedEx.

More and more stops would be added to their routes, and if they said they could not handle them, they faced threats that they had breached their contracts, the drivers said.

When McMahon's contract was terminated, he said, he was not allowed to get his two trucks out of the depot. Eventually FedEx paid to tow them to his house. He said he had paid about $24,000 for the trucks, but could sell them at auction for only $2,600 because FedEx refused to allow him to sell them to another contractor.

"They know you have a truck to pay for and you have a family, so you're stuck," Cucinotti said.

Cucinotti, a retired Camden County worker, said he had not found another job since FedEx terminated his contract in February. He said he lost $5,000 in selling his truck.

McMahon now works for DHL and belongs to the Teamsters. He said he drove a company truck about 50 hours a week and averages $900, plus health benefits and a pension.

As a FedEx driver, he drove his own truck and netted $1,000 a week—slightly more, but it did not include health insurance or a pension contribution.

FedEx's Web site includes a profile of a driver from Scranton, a former car salesman who switched to being a FedEx driver in 2004. "It was a little rough in the beginning until I learned my way around the neighborhood," the profile quotes Glenn Werwinski as saying. "But it's turned out to be something I love to do."

The article originally appeared in the Philadelphia Inquirer on December 18, 2005, and was written by Jane M. Von Bergen.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
You know Brian I must have really hit a nerve with you because you have put in so much effort trying to just beat me up with a stick over this.

Well I am not going to denigrate this into personal attacks on my part, but as part of my defense I will say this;

I never claimed that FedEx is the best company around, it has problems and I have been very vocal openly. They are what they are and for me I like where I am at as Panther is good for others and Tri-State is good for others too.

I never intended to make it look like I was bashing Panther but for some reason you are very defensive and ran away with the thread, which I apologize to scottanhelen and other EO members for starting the mess. This does not mean I have a position that can’t be defended, just means I won’t be the reason others will get mad. Also I am bothered by the idea that Panther is the target of my criticism, well I can’t see that at all. I do criticism them for their poor recruiting when I was trying to get info from them and add my off the wall comments every once in a while but outside of that they are no target.

I do understand what Fenway Partners Inc. is all about, got the financial info from Hoovers and a few other sources, plus I have a bunch of other good info about the company, some of which came from them directly. Yes they have assets, but Panther does not as FedEx has some but not a lot. What I mean in assets are not partnership agreements but actual vehicles owned by the company to transport goods or provide services. Oh by the way, I don’t have the numbers but FedEx has a rather medium sized company owned fleet with Freight and another group, which is not counting the largest fleet of aircraft with about 670 ahead of DHL with 420 and UPS with 281. This is directly owned assets, not contracted vehicles.

I also understand how this all financing stuff works, I sat on exploratory committees for acquisitions in a $40B plus revenue company (they have about $60B in assets), dealt with boards and company officers at a few of the top companies in the world and been exposed to a lot more than I will ever remember or care to explain. But I never was a supervisor at a transportation company. The point is - I understand.

I can’t understand why you could not simply answer the question, if you are so in tune with the issue of Fenway and Panther’s acquisition, you could have made a simple statement about the questions instead of the long FedEx comparison. The questions are legitimate, even though to some obvious and I did look for answers that made sense but found nothing to show me the difference between the marketing spin from IBM and HP and these guys, so lets go over this again;

• Web-based logistics
• Optimized analytics solution
• FastLane Technology

Explain how this gives you an advantage as a customer?

And last, not embarrassed of what I asked, or anything else for that matter. I have a easy way of looking at things, if you don’t want to answer the question, I really don’t care. It was for the benefit of others that I asked anyway.

fortwayne

Not a Member
Greg -
Please stop it!
Every company including Panther, FedEx, UPS, Tri-State, Express-1, LandStar, all spew out some fancy language which all means the same darn thing - you can use your computer to track your shipment when you ship with us, you can use your computer to place an order, you can use your computer to better manage your supply chain when you use us as your expedite shipping company.
You can use your computer to order a pizza when you use us -Ok, I added that one in there - but you get the point.
Everyone of these companies try their hardest to convince a customer we have some special technology that no one else has to help them out.
Panther may have FastLane Technology while FedEx may have FastTrack Technology - same darn thing just a different name, while Tri-State may have FastCourt Technology while Express-1 has FastBreak Technology still again the same basic technologies just a different name.
The point I am trying to make is there is a good side to one company and a good side to another - it is the customer's right and job to siff through the mumble jumble and select the company best suited for them at that particular time, just like it is our job as drivers to siff through the sales pitch we have all heard from recruiters when we were looking for a company to drive for.
Greg, you say you do not mean to attack Panther - yet you admit you take a shot once in awhile at them, if nothing else for the fun of it. What purpose, even for the fun of it, does that really serve - it lowers the professional level others place you on - and I believe you deserve to be at the same professional level your company has within this industry - so stop, please the needless comments and cracks on the competition - it hurts the industry as a whole.

Fort Wayne
100% - It Is A Mindset!

pelicn

Veteran Expediter
Doesn't this all boil down to going with the company that fits you? All of them have their problems there is NO company that be perfect in every way.

FAMILYEXPDT

Seasoned Expediter
A definition of web based logistics : Thanks to web-based systems that give more visibility and control of the movement of freight, logistics are becoming crucial cost centers that may add more to the financial bottom line than the products being sold. “In many cases, the information on a shipment is more important than the shipment itself,†says Tim Minahan, vice president of supply chain research for Boston-based researchers Aberdeen Group Inc. “If you know what’s going on with freight, you can pool different shipments and save a lot of money.â€

Web-based efficiency is hitting the road for discount retailers which are deploying web-based logistics software to maintain real-time visibility of truck movements. The system enables shippers to slash shipping costs by consolidating shipments into fewer truckloads.

Optimized analytic solutions: refined analytic applicationsthat drive insight of key business segments, customers, products and services. In other words they can talk to a customer and give them the most cost effective method of moving their product...someone that may have just used air before can find out it is less expensive to haul ground and gets there well within the needed timeframe....they may have never considered it before.

FastLane technology ---I am gonna guess that it is the web based applications that allow disaptchers and customer reps to fill in the blanks when a customer calls with an orde cause customers info is already on hand.....saves time when they order a truck.

Now everyone calm the hell down :p

-charlotte

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I would say relax as well. I see no reason to complicate the simple. I've been both places and both have their advantages and disadvantages.
As far as Panther's purchase of Integres, it provides alot of advantages from the logistical side. It brings another presence out west along with additional customers.
The other advantage mentioned right on their website is the use of 6 other expedite companies. Controlling a portion or a source of your competitiors business has a few advantages.
It isn't a purchase of GM or a huge franchise, but Rome wasn't built in a day either.

Davekc
owner
22 years
PantherII
EO moderator

jackdixon_2000

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Book it!

Need to move heavy cargo fast, but want to let someone else figure out the best way to get it there? Integres Global Logistics can quickly locate space for you on one of 12,000 daily flights or 40,000 trailers, says Mary Thomson, the company's vice president of marketing in Rancho Cordova, Calif. Shippers who book freight through the web-based service choose from two-day, two-day express, next-day, next-day express, and next-flight service.

Integres grew out of Cargo 2000, an initiative by major airlines, forwarders, and technology firms to develop efficient and reliable air cargo services based on uniform procedures and measurable standards. Some members of the group concluded that they weren't making enough progress because companies didn't want to share sensitive data with competitors, Thomson says.

On the theory that sharing is more palatable in a revenue-producing venture, several Cargo 2000 members formed Integres in 2001. Current transportation partners in the business are American Airlines Cargo, United Cargo, Roadway Express, and UTi Worldwide. Another partner, Unisys, provides the underlying technology.

Last year, Integres launched privately branded, web-based transportation services for Roadway, United Cargo, and American Airlines Cargo. In September it debuted a service under its own name.

Each of the four transportation offerings uses a variety of carriers, but the private-label ones rely more heavily on the assets of their owners, Thomson says. If a customer uses the Roadway product, "the freight more often will run on a Roadway truck," she explains. "On the United web site, cargo will fly on a United plane more often."

On the Integres site, the routing engine is carrier-neutral, scanning all capacity available to provide the desired service at the best price, she says.

True Pricing
A shipper becomes an Integres customer by registering on the web site. When the shipper requests a quote, the system returns pricing for each of the five available services. Customers receive "true pricing," based on the actual cost to Integres, Thomson says.

For example, freight shipped Friday for delivery in two business days might cost less than freight shipped Monday because the intervening weekend allows Integres to move the goods by truck rather than air.

Integres has negotiated favorable rates and terms with a host of major airlines and trucking companies, and especially its strategic partners, Thomson says. "We give the customer access to capacity and the boarding priority they would not be able to get either directly through the airlines or through a traditional freight forwarder." The company uses a network of local cartage companies to handle pickup and delivery.

Once a customer books a shipment, staff at Integres tender the freight to a carrier. Through Electronic Data Interchange (EDI), the carrier notifies Integres when the shipment is picked up, when it leaves the origin city and arrives at the destination city, when it's put out for delivery, and when the consignee has received it.
Customers can view the status of their freight on the web site or receive e-mail notifications.

Integres primarily serves the United States, although it has delivered freight to Canada and Mexico, Thomson says.

Moving Pictures
Although Integres officially launched its service in September, one early customer -- Video Products Distributors (VPD), Folsom, Calif. -- has been using it since last June. A leading distributor of movies on DVD and VHS, VPD has a tight window for delivering movies in time for their official release dates. It uses UPS to handle the majority of its shipments to retail stores and other customers in the United States.

When it acquired its first customer in Puerto Rico, VPD used UPS to ship there as well and was pleased with the service, says Rick Roberts, VPD logistics manager. But when an Integres sales rep approached him in 2001, he was interested to learn whether the company could beat UPS's pricing. "They did," he says.

There's No Turning Back
UPS's contract with the Teamster's Union was due to expire Aug. 1, and VPD needed a backup in case of a strike. So it began tendering freight for Puerto Rico to Integres. The strike did not occur, but working with Integres "has been such a pleasant experience that nobody wants to go back," Roberts says.

Each week, VPD ships videotapes, DVDs, and video games to its customer in Puerto Rico, a Blockbuster franchise with 39 stores. At VPD's Perrysburg, Ohio, facility, workers receive the movies from Hollywood studios, package them for rental, enter the orders in their computer system, and prepare the videos for shipping. They scan a bar-code on each video to add it to a shipment in the company's manifest system. When the shipment is complete, a worker types in the weight, tracking number, and air waybill number.

Rather than type shipment data into the Integres system at its web site, each Wednesday VPD extracts a file from the manifest system containing all the necessary information and then e-mails that to Integres. The pickup driver signs a printout of that shipping information. Integres ships on Wednesday for delivery in Puerto Rico on Friday, so the retail stores will have the movies before their release date the following Tuesday.

Roberts says he particularly likes tracking the progress of his packages through Integres. Every Friday, when the Puerto Rico customer's sales rep arrives at work in California, she checks the system to make sure the packages have been delivered. So far, Roberts says, there have been no service problems, though reports on the web site sometimes don't show the most recent deliveries.

If a service problem did occur, however, "we would know before the customer knew," he says. "That was one of the things we were really excited about, to be able to go to the site and see if there's a customer service issue."

VPD is considering whether to use Integres for deliveries to Alaska and Hawaii, the two other regions where it ships by air, Roberts says. "We want to see what Integres can put together in terms of price and service, then work with our customers in those areas to make sure they're comfortable with it."

This is an article from Inboundlogistics.com January 2003. This gives a more practical eplanation of what Integris is all about in laymans terms

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I was tempted to put a simular article up, but thought it might be too long for some. Thanks Jack, that gives some alittle more insight.
A condensed version is available on the Panther homepage.

Davekc
owner
22 years
PantherII
EO moderator