freight

scottanhelen

Seasoned Expediter
Does any one know is panther getting more freight out west now scents panther bought out that company, just wondering???

Thanks
Be safe and take care:) :) :)

joebob1_30132

Expert Expediter
I talked with Tri State after the hostile take over of the Con-Way vessle Just Kidding all you PII fans ... Jeeez. they said they were going to nail the west coast ..The recruiter told me he had 15 trucks out there at the moment (Definition of a recruiter...salesman) and sales was going to hit it hard... but I dont really know,thats just what the recruiter(salesman) said

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Tractor and straight truck freight has been preety good out there the last two years. I expect that to continue for all Panther folks with the aquisition of a west coast logistics company.

Davekc
owner
22 years
PantherII
EO moderator

iheartfaye

Expert Expediter
I was out west in December in a Panther van before the acquisition. I stayed busy out there for two weeks before finally heading east on my own. I ran hard in Colorado, Utah, Idaho, Washington, and Oregon.

pelicn

Veteran Expediter
We were out there in Dec too...ended up dead heading home too. We just spent last week out there (WA) and did 2 short runs (less than 200 miles) Finally got out..and now we're sitting in Tulsa.

More freight..maybe...but 2 short runs in a week doesn't impress me.

fortwayne

Not a Member
I have only been with Panther for about 3 weeks and they have kept me running solid during this time.
Not only should the recent purchase increase the Panther ground freight lanes out west it should increase the overall business around most of the larger metro airports.
The purchase itself will have little effect on our 'current ground freight lanes' as they are now known - it will simply provide us still another area of the expedite business to pursue.
Even with little time with Panther I can tell you one thing - of the companies I have driven for they impress the heck out of me!
I predict within a handful of years only Panther, Tri-State, Express-1, Landstar, FedEx and UPS will be the only ones left standing.

Fort Wayne
'Stand Up For Yourself - Don't Wait For Someone Else'

romoore245

Expert Expediter
We run a load from Memphis to San Diego last week, for Panther. We then were given a load the next day going to Charlotte NC. Five minutes later the load was pulled from us because a solo needed the load more than we did. We then sat for four days and finally got a load to AR. It was a fair load, but we had to wait for it. When we were with Conway we at least got many offers; even if they were bad. This was the first time we went to the west with panther and had to sit for a while. They did eventually get us a run.
Then the ##### CA DOT pulled us in for an inspection, usually the truck will pass anything, but this time they found oil on my breaks. I never would have seen that on a pre trip. So the good run back is just going to pay for a repair bill to keep from having to pay a ticket. Going west is great for miles, but they are more strick on inspections. We would take a load back tomorrow; since the repair was made. Can't beat the miles. You never know, sit for a few days for anything from 1500-2800 miles, well worth the risk every time.
Good Luck

greg334

Veteran Expediter
“I predict within a handful of years only Panther, Tri-State, Express-1, Landstar, FedEx and UPS will be the only ones left standing.â€

I predict that the only ones left in a few years will be FedEx, Landstar, Tri-State and UPS in the order of size in this market.

“Five minutes later the load was pulled from us because a solo needed the load more than we did. We then sat for four days and finally got a load to AR.â€

Dumb question.... what makes it more important for a solo needing a load than you?

And is this a common practice with Panther?

mrgoodtude

Not a Member
What I find odd is the fact a solo can run a expedite load from the west coast...
Maybe I am doing this wrong.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I would say there is likely alittle more to the story, whether it be distance to pickup, load to heavy or wouldn't fit the 16 footer ect.
Why? Because if it went on a solo truck, they likely had to pay more out on that load because the solo wouldn't be able to run the whole thing. It likely got transferred somewhere and Panther had to pay the charges. I don't see issues in favortism where the carrier is going to loose money. Makes no sense.

Davekc
owner
22 years
PantherII
EO moderator

wallytrucker1

Expert Expediter
Why is it odd, I can cover a lot of asphalt Fri-Mon I do a lot of long stuff starting in the west; sometimes I think they are merely paying extra to be able to satellite track it..I guess that begs the question "what constitues" expedited freight" ?? My answer, anything they want to put in my expediter and pay me large dollars to relocate it;) ;) Gotta love these Sat mornings..Sitting in Gulfport Ms picking up a fresh 70.

iheartfaye

Expert Expediter
Exactly, regarding the "what is expedited freight" question.

The load that took me from Chattanooga to SLC was one skid of batteries.....just normal batteries....an assortment of 9v, AAA, AA, C, D, ya know. Friday pickup, Monday delivery. I find it hard to belive that the value of the skid was more than the cost of the freight charges....so, I have to agree that expedited freight is whatever someone is willing to pay to have it "expedited."

Or, maybe they don't have batteries in Utah?

greg334

Veteran Expediter
>Exactly, regarding the "what is expedited freight" question.
>
>The load that took me from Chattanooga to SLC was one skid
>of batteries.....just normal batteries....an assortment of
>9v, AAA, AA, C, D, ya know. Friday pickup, Monday delivery.
> I find it hard to belive that the value of the skid was
>more than the cost of the freight charges....so, I have to
>agree that expedited freight is whatever someone is willing
>to pay to have it "expedited."
>
>Or, maybe they don't have batteries in Utah?

Must be a sales team doing a promotion, they do not care about cost.

I had one run with a few boxes (maybe 20 bottles) of Shampoo for KMart. When I arrived at the delivery the sales promoter mentioned that this was extra incase they ran out, which they had 300 cases of Shampoo to begin with. I later went shopping at Wal-Mart and found they had 50 bottles on the shelf that the total cost would have been less then 15% of the cost of the run I took.

Bob and Hooligan

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I think the addition of an airfreight company will help. Surface transportation has been used as a substitue for air for many years.
However, I wouldn't start loading your surfboards just yet. It will take some time.

Also, it is a long way back from out west to a service area where you will get some loads.

Hang ten

Road Hooligan

greg334

Veteran Expediter
You know I am not knocking Panther, but I am trying to figure this all out and I may be just plain stupid.

Can anyone explain to the simple level what the following means?

• Web-based logistics
• Optimized analytics solution
• FastLane Technology

And further explain how this gives you an advantage as a customer?

I mean that I have heard all of these terms throughout my IT career from companies like IBM, HP and other big hitters and look at them as entry level sales spins.

I guess the point I am trying to make here is that the acquisition is still nothing close to being a Unisys, Ryder, Penske, FedEx or UPS as an all in one solutions provider. Maybe I am wrong but I don’t see the gains that others expect.

fortwayne

Not a Member
Greg -
First no one has claimed this is some massive corporate move that will rock Wall Street and skyrocket Panther to the top of everyone's top ten companies.
What it is indicating is that with this purchase Panther is now able to provide a wider array of services, becoming a total logistics and expedite freight provider within its own corporate structure instead of brokering the air service out.
That is it!
And what I am saying is that the top five or six companies, which I mentioned earlier, are the only one's that seem to be proactive in moving forward and expanding their marketing efforts, and I do not mean thier service area - but their actual marketing of their services to a more wider brand of businesses, while others sit their living and dieing off the auto industry.
No purchase or takeover is going to give any one of these companies an edge - it may give them a new or expanded market area but it will still come down to price and the level of service that us as drivers are willing to provide.
In addition if you do a simple google search you will find your answers to your other questions instead of boring everyone with simple details of what Web-based logistics, Optimized analytics solution and FastLane Technology all means.
I guess if I wanted to I could go to the FedEx site and pick over their sales pitch as well - but it serves no real purpose, as I said it is about quality of service and pricing.

Fort Wayne
'Stand Up For Yourself - Don't Wait For Someone Else'

iheartfaye

Expert Expediter
"I guess the point I am trying to make here is that the acquisition is still nothing close to being a Unisys, Ryder, Penske, FedEx or UPS as an all in one solutions provider. Maybe I am wrong but I don’t see the gains that others expect. "

Greg, I guess it is kind of like the FECC website:

*proprietary information technology

*exclusive-use vehicles

*integrated business applications through operating companies competing collectively and managed collaboratively,

*retail planning technology

*closely involved in shaping and testing new plane-based technology

*advanced information systems

Trust me, the hits just keep on coming. I think most of us can split a hair or two on just about any topic.

iheartfaye

Expert Expediter
"I guess the point I am trying to make here is that the acquisition is still nothing close to being a Unisys, Ryder, Penske, FedEx or UPS as an all in one solutions provider. Maybe I am wrong but I don’t see the gains that others expect. "

Eeek, left out some info.

Also Greg, remember that Panther's parent company owns everything from Trans-freight to Delimex, the company that sells the Tornados at Pilot. You know the yummy little rotisserie cooked mexican snack.

Oddly enough, you mentioned a panoply of "one solutions providers" and left out the largest one in the world. One that we all see every day.

As incestuous as the freight re-location industry is, everyone is a "one solution provider." As a supervisor at UPS, we sent freight out on FedEx (they are cheaper), PANTHER, Holland, Overnite, Roadway, and 50 others. As a supervisor at DHL (largest world-wide by the way) we also sent freight out on everybody. In fact, EGL sold their planes and if you got a piece of EGL airfreight, most likely it came on a DHL (actually AStar) aircraft (affectionately known as a flying banana).

I can call Bob's Logistics in Whoziwhat, Alabama and make one call to get my freight delivered to Gregscool, Wisconsin. It just means that Bob is going to make some additional phone calls. Every provider uses everyone else.

As a Panther driver I have picked up at FedEx and delivered their freight.

So, lighten up. We can all split hairs and find the marketing babble that everyone uses.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Fort Wayne/Brian
You know guy, these were questions I was asked about this, and as I said I was not trying to knock Panther.

But seeing you both seem to be a little defensive and think that this is about bashing panther from what seems to be questions about a ‘brokerage company that has no assets except software, a website and a multiple partnerships and no way to give the panther trucks work’ (not my comment but one of your fellow panther fleet owner’s), I will leave it alone and let others try to figure it out.