Freight rates and fuel prices!

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I don't think things will ever change in respect to CV's....what we need is at best a Minimum a 6 month REAL slowdown and get rid of the driftwood...

Yea it worked so well before.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using EO Forums

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I don't think things will ever change in respect to CV's....what we need is at best a Minimum a 6 month REAL slowdown and get rid of the driftwood...

We had that once before and it cleared out a lot of driftwood. The problem is, a really slow economy just creates more driftwood.

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter

I think that process is going forward. More and More shippers are requesting or demanding Sprinters and Cubes. I think a year from now when the economy picks up (thinking positive) you will see that more and more. Shippers are having to get more for their money so if they have to hand over more money they want 3 or more pallets. This is just my observation.

Brisco

Expert Expediter
We negotiate the rates daily.

Also we don't do CPM, it's DPM.

So you're basically working off Load Boards......No Set Customer Base.....Right?

If you have a set Customer Base.....why are you having to "Negotiate" your rates "Daily"?

Being just a "Broker" working Load Boards is one thing......Negotiating with a set Customer that "Carriers" handle is another. But...they still go hand in hand.......

Once a Carriers Long Term Customer starts to "Negotiate" their rates on a regular basis, that means 1 of 2 things are happening. First being that one of those Carriers Competitors have made their way into the Decision Makers office and are enticing them with Lower Rates. Second could be possibly that the Decision Maker was given a Heads Up on a Load Board somewhere that has a lot of Cut Throat Brokers on there "Negotiating" shipping costs down to nothing.

Either way......Rates ARE dropping again.....Period. And if one is "Negotiating" their rate on a "Daily" basis, then they are negatively effecting rates all across the board whether they realize it, or acknowledge it, or not.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Shippers have more or less always requested whatever vehicle is required for their shipments. Now that we have more and more Sprinters, they are naturally using them more and more. Shippers also tend to use the smallest truck necessary for their shipments. In many cases that's a simple cargo van.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Actually it did work, BUT recruiters were real quick to get the van count up....had about 3-4 months of real good earnings...

So you want six months of bad to get 4 months of good. Those numbers don't dance.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using EO Forums

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
No one has a vested interest in making CVing harder to get into...no carrier/recruiter/load boards....they want a constant supply to load up every truckstop...

a fact that will probably never change...something we have to accept...

tenntrucker

Expert Expediter
No one has a vested interest in making CVing harder to get into...no carrier/recruiter/load boards....they want a constant supply to load up every truckstop...

a fact that will probably never change...something we have to accept...

So your saying vans are like roaches, once you get infested with them there hard to get rid of? :D

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have a Cost per mile sheet that shows my costs per mile and my rate what I will charge per mile. Cost per mile is exactly that. How much dose it cost me for everything including my salary. My rate is slightly above what my cost per mile is.
This difference allows for the toll road that I dont know abbout, or that detour I have to take, etc. Regular customers are given an agreed price based on a "Fuel cost spread usualy $ 0.25/Gal" Instead of a fuel surcharge. In otherwords anyone who wants my service will pay $ X.000 per mile when fuel is betwene say 1.25 and 1.50. You can take your rate per mile and convert it into an hourly rate.

Most trucking companies pay by the skid so they want to pay LTL rates. When common sense fails, I politely explain to the dispatcher so that a 5 year old can understand that even one skid requires the entire truck. Botom line, if your independant stop working for cheap your destroying everybody else, for the driver who chooses to lease, find the best paying company and stay with them. The parasites will have to make do with the rejects and will inevitably die on the vine and fall off. If you are not happy with your current carrier sign on with someone who has the same business ideas you have and service the hell out of them making money in any business is a two way street.

Bob Wolf

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
One tip for Shippers......
We may be more expensive than a guy with a truck but We are insured where he is not.. Sure, you save fifty bucks on that move but how much did you pay to repair or replace then reship the dammaged load? Remind Shippers as of last August F.M.C.S.A. no longer requires freight carriers to have freight insurance. I have used this to a few shippers and secured the work.

Bob Wolf.

Last edited:

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
So you're basically working off Load Boards......No Set Customer Base.....Right?

If you have a set Customer Base.....why are you having to "Negotiate" your rates "Daily"?

Being just a "Broker" working Load Boards is one thing......Negotiating with a set Customer that "Carriers" handle is another. But...they still go hand in hand.......

Once a Carriers Long Term Customer starts to "Negotiate" their rates on a regular basis, that means 1 of 2 things are happening. First being that one of those Carriers Competitors have made their way into the Decision Makers office and are enticing them with Lower Rates. Second could be possibly that the Decision Maker was given a Heads Up on a Load Board somewhere that has a lot of Cut Throat Brokers on there "Negotiating" shipping costs down to nothing.

Either way......Rates ARE dropping again.....Period. And if one is "Negotiating" their rate on a "Daily" basis, then they are negatively effecting rates all across the board whether they realize it, or acknowledge it, or not.
Waaaaayyyyy out in left field...again.