Freight in California?

RoadHouse

Active Expediter
Hi, I'm new to the wonderful world of expediting and I'm wondering if there is any good freight into and out of California? I plan on spending a lot of time on the road, but I'd like to go home a couple of times a year. Is California a good place to get sprinter loads? Will I have to deadhead down to El Paso to get loads going east? I'm about to sign up with Express Family of Companies out of Erie PA. They told me there is railroad freight that picks up and delivers to California, but it is scarce at times. Any helpful tips or information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks ahead of time for all of your kind responses.

runrunner

Veteran Expediter
Hi, I'm new to the wonderful world of expediting and I'm wondering if there is any good freight into and out of California? I plan on spending a lot of time on the road, but I'd like to go home a couple of times a year. Is California a good place to get sprinter loads? Will I have to deadhead down to El Paso to get loads going east? I'm about to sign up with Express Family of Companies out of Erie PA. They told me there is railroad freight that picks up and delivers to California, but it is scarce at times. Any helpful tips or information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks ahead of time for all of your kind responses.

In my experience, CA is pretty tough to get out of for a single driver. I don't know anything about the company you mention,so maybe you will have good luck with them, hope so.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
If you only want to get home a couple of times a year, then Californee is the place you oughta be. There is freight in and out of there, but most of the stuff that picks up there will run you up and down the coast. I've been out there and bounced back and forth between LA and San Francisco for weeks, then get one going back to the Midwest, or to Salt Lake or somewhere in the middle of Nevada. You never know. It's certainly easier to get one out of there when you need to than it is to get one going there when you need to.

RoadHouse

Active Expediter
Thanks, Turtle. I bet it's nice to bounce back and forth between Los Angeles and San Francisco. I love northern California!